Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times

Advertisements

Yea yea sure you did, in addition to defending america from north vietnam in your row boat, hiking the alps with one leg, blah blah.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 PM

325 posts, read 371,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Who cares? They don't get to live in California. We have the last laugh.
Yup! They jus' jealous.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM

40 posts, read 85,997 times
Both of you cool it, I respect both military men and firefighters. This thread is for discussion though not fighting.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Yea yea sure you did, in addition to defending america from north vietnam in your row boat, hiking the alps with one leg, blah blah.
As a conservative you of course prefer belief to fact, and that is ok, it makes the world comprehendable to you.

You really have no idea what a hotshot crew is, or what it does, do you? A hint; it has nothing to do with the Navy.

I am not sure why you keep bringing up something, that for me anyway ended 40 years ago. I spent more time in the Boy Scouts than I did in the Navy.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 PM

I know what a hot shot crew is, and they are not any tougher then the boys in Afghanistan right now or the guys who stuck it out in Khe Sahn. Your disregard for our fighting men is disturbing.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Funny thing, you say they are not tougher, yet, you have never spent days cutting line, you have no basis of comparison.

War fighting does not require the same level of physical fitness as is required for handline construction, particularly in the Southern California Chapparal country.

I understand that there are those who would like to dispute that, but, that would only be those who have not seen both sides.

Now, back in the early 80's we responded to a large fire in So Cal, there were so many fires that the Forest Service was out of crews. Marines were brought in from Pendleton, dressed in Nomex and given some hand tool training. The line they assisted on went up a ridge behind Trabuco, south facing, heavy brush, darned steep. After the first day the Marines, in a state of shock were pulled off the line and put into mop up.

The hotshots were doing exactly what they do.

I state this, not to denigrate the Marines, but to point out that your initial post regarding my post regarding the Coasties and the Marines was in error, and was based on belief rather than fact, which is normal for conservatives, not your fault.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Funny thing, you say they are not tougher, yet, you have never spent days cutting line, you have no basis of comparison.

War fighting does not require the same level of physical fitness as is required for handline construction, particularly in the Southern California Chapparal country.

I understand that there are those who would like to dispute that, but, that would only be those who have not seen both sides.

Now, back in the early 80's we responded to a large fire in So Cal, there were so many fires that the Forest Service was out of crews. Marines were brought in from Pendleton, dressed in Nomex and given some hand tool training. The line they assisted on went up a ridge behind Trabuco, south facing, heavy brush, darned steep. After the first day the Marines, in a state of shock were pulled off the line and put into mop up.

The hotshots were doing exactly what they do.
And you say the marines are not tougher, yet you have never served in the marines. In fact, you served in the navy.

You try use a whacked out analysis that because marines did not perfrom to the same level as trained fire fighters that they are not as tough. That would be like giving a fireman a rifle and a bayonette with a bit of brief training and then acting surprised when they did not perfrom up to par with actual trained marines.

Good grief

Once again, youre being asinine.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:10 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
I am sick of other people from other states bashing us so, I will tell you why we think the way we think.

3. We hate people that move here and buy huge houses and drive the housing prices to Pluto.

-A pissed off California born resident.
That's a good one. Lots of people from other states accuse Californians of moving to their little piece of paradise and driving up housing prices to the levels that locals can't afford.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Two different missions, two different philosophies, and neither of them hold much of a candle to a hotshot crew.
Bravo Sierra! Clearly you've never experiencerd incoming.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
I don't like people stereotyping or generalizing about California and Californians (including the OP). Its a big state with a lot of different types of people living in it. They can have widely varying priorities, backgrounds, interests and predilections. They're all Californians and all have validity in their choices and interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California