U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-05-2011, 05:32 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
40 posts, read 76,488 times
Reputation: 52

Advertisements

I am sick of other people from other states bashing us so, I will tell you why we think the way we think.

1. We don't want Wal-Mart or K-Mart, we have seen the way these corporations destroy American small business/shops and towns, so we will either run them out of town or tax them so high it becomes inefficient for them to do business here.

2. We hate people that come here and think that it is all glamor Hollywood and good weather, especially people from other countries who have virtually no knowledge about our state except what they have seen on Baywatch. They never bother to go hiking or explore the rest of the state (I guess that is good because, we like to keep secrets).

3. We hate people that move here and buy huge houses and drive the housing prices to Pluto.

4. We hate your huge pickup trucks with V8 diesel engines that sound like a big rig. They take up the highway and can't fit in the parking slots.

5. We accept gays because, they are one of the last minorities (along with Atheists, like myself) that the rest of Americans seem to think it is okay to attack. We like to pride ourselves on being a safe haven.

6. We are not anti-military, we are pro-military but anti-war. I myself will be joining the Coast Guard in the near future.

7. Its not all sunshine, it rains pretty substantially here in the winter months and gets below freezing near the coast.

8. We like our environmental laws because, LA has some of the worst air pollution in North America, my girlfriend can't go to the LA area because she has extremely bad asthma. I would not want the same air pollution that China has.

9. We are not anti-gun quite a few of us own guns, in fact I know a man that has a collection of over 30 different guns However, we are not Texas and we don't want to see people with the 50 caliber revolver hanging from their belt.

10. With the exception of Berkley and LA, most of the state is generally conservative.

-Thanks for understanding.
-A pissed off California born resident.

Last edited by ExperimentalArmy; 04-05-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Rate this post positively

 
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, California
130 posts, read 848,683 times
Reputation: 202
Are you presuming to speak for all Californian's?
That's a bit .... errrr .... presumptuous don't ya think?
And you may want to drop the hate ... it's not the best way to "make friends and influence people".
I agree with some of your sentiments (without the hatred though) but certainly not all.
I'm sure not pro-military, nor am i pro-gun.
And, it's not accurate to say that with the exception of L.A. and Berkeley, CA is conservative.
And your weather assessment is a bit off ... it does rain in the winter though.
When you say "the coast" ... well, which coast of CA are you referring to?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-05-2011, 06:02 PM
 
1,351 posts, read 2,564,119 times
Reputation: 1235
Who cares? They don't get to live in California. We have the last laugh.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-05-2011, 06:02 PM
 
Location: San Diego
39,733 posts, read 35,524,934 times
Reputation: 24033
You had me until the truck comment. I can't pull no trailer with a Prius. Also as an observation, you need to look at how much fuel the CG boats use. You will have a melt down. Usually it's less than one mile per gallon for any bigger boat and typically much worse. Boats are not fuel efficient at all.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
 
115 posts, read 298,739 times
Reputation: 67
I have to agree with most of what you said.

Minus the "hate"

I also think the costline towns and cities tend to lean left while conservatives are inland. Could be wrong.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 PM
 
1,795 posts, read 4,189,479 times
Reputation: 1589
Every state gets bashed and whenever someone says something negative or stupid about California I just shrug it off and tell myself as long as I'm happy here I don't care what others think and if they don't like it here then move out or don't visit...Everyone has their preferences.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM
 
2,748 posts, read 5,156,818 times
Reputation: 3624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post

1. We don't want Wal-Mart or K-Mart, we have seen the way these corporations destroy American small business/shops and towns, so we will either run them out of town or tax them so high it becomes inefficient for them to do business here.
Are you joking? California has 179 Walmarts! Third just behind TX & FL. People must love them here considering the huge crownds they attract.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 85,974,970 times
Reputation: 17614
My comments in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
1. We don't want Wal-Mart or K-Mart, we have seen the way these corporations destroy American small business/shops and towns, so we will either run them out of town or tax them so high it becomes inefficient for them to do business here.

Prefer Super Target or Costco.

3. We hate people that move here and buy huge houses and drive the housing prices to Pluto.

I love people who move here and buy huge houses and drive the housing prices to Pluto.

4. We hate your huge pickup trucks with V8 diesel engines that sound like a big rig. They take up the highway and can't fit in the parking slots.

I hate other people driving huge V8 pickup trucks because I drive one and I want other people to drive little itty bitty "Dumb Cars" so that when we collide I walk away with small dent.



5. We accept gays because, they are one of the last minorities (along with Atheists, like myself) that the rest of Americans seem to think it is okay to attack. We like to pride ourselves on being a safe haven.

Atheists are the only people who aren't brainwashed.

7. Its not all sunshine, it rains pretty substantially here in the winter months and gets below freezing near the coast.

It's perfect.




8. We like our environmental laws because, LA has some of the worst air pollution in North America, my girlfriend can't go to the LA area because she has extremely bad asthma. I would not want the same air pollution that China has.

Send your girlfriend out here to Las Flores.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-05-2011, 07:09 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 8,099,961 times
Reputation: 2622
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
I am sick of other people from other states bashing us so, I will tell you why we think the way we think.

1. We don't want Wal-Mart or K-Mart, we have seen the way these corporations destroy American small business/shops and towns, so we will either run them out of town or tax them so high it becomes inefficient for them to do business here.

Yep, we don't like them, but if we have kids to raise we need the low prices.



2. We hate people that come here and think that it is all glamor Hollywood and good weather, especially people from other countries who have virtually no knowledge about our state except what they have seen on Baywatch. They never bother to go hiking or explore the rest of the state (I guess that is good because, we like to keep secrets).

So What? They go to LA and they stay there, works for me.

3. We hate people that move here and buy huge houses and drive the housing prices to Pluto.

Too late for that sentiment.

4. We hate your huge pickup trucks with V8 diesel engines that sound like a big rig. They take up the highway and can't fit in the parking slots.

Huh, lots of Californians drive them, like me, pretty tough to tow a heavy trailer without one.

5. We accept gays because, they are one of the last minorities (along with Atheists, like myself) that the rest of Americans seem to think it is okay to attack. We like to pride ourselves on being a safe haven.

Some do, some don't, just like every other state.

6. We are not anti-military, we are pro-military but anti-war. I myself will be joining the Coast Guard in the near future.

Remember to wear shorts, so that if your boat sinks you won't get your pants wet when you walk to shore (old Navy joke)

7. Its not all sunshine, it rains pretty substantially here in the winter months and gets below freezing near the coast.

Heaviest snowfall of any inhabited locale in America, Soda Springs California

8. We like our environmental laws because, LA has some of the worst air pollution in North America, my girlfriend can't go to the LA area because she has extremely bad asthma. I would not want the same air pollution that China has.



9. We are not anti-gun quite a few of us own guns, in fact I know a man that has a collection of over 30 different guns However, we are not Texas and we don't want to see people with the 50 caliber revolver hanging from their belt.

This past weekend I attended a US Wildlife Services presentation on predators in California, after seeing numerous photos of killed animals and humans, I am pretty close to convinced to carry a heavy weapon.

10. With the exception of Berkley and LA, most of the state is generally conservative.

Not true, there are nonconservatives throughout the state, just because we wear snap button shirts and drive big trucks does not mean we have stopped critical thinking.

-Thanks for understanding.
-A pissed off California born resident.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 PM
 
Location: State of Jefferson coast
963 posts, read 2,727,392 times
Reputation: 1297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
I am sick of other people from other states bashing us so, I will tell you why we think the way we think.

1. We don't want Wal-Mart or K-Mart, we have seen the way these corporations destroy American small business/shops and towns, so we will either run them out of town or tax them so high it becomes inefficient for them to do business here.
Doesn't seem to be working too well. Lots of Wal-Marts in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
3. We hate people that move here and buy huge houses and drive the housing prices to Pluto.
And that, of course, makes it harder for native Californians to buy huge houses...I guess that's why they have to have McMansions custom-built for them when they move to Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
4. We hate your huge pickup trucks with V8 diesel engines that sound like a big rig. They take up the highway and can't fit in the parking slots.
Yeah...like there's no market for pickups and SUVs among native-born Californians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
5. We accept gays because, they are one of the last minorities (along with Atheists, like myself) that the rest of Americans seem to think it is okay to attack. We like to pride ourselves on being a safe haven.
Is that all? I thought it was a social justice issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
6. We are not anti-military, we are pro-military but anti-war. I myself will be joining the Coast Guard in the near future.
So California promotes a pacifist military? I guess we'll see how that works out. The Coast Guard, incidentally, while being one of the uniformed services of the U.S., really has more of a law enforcement function than a militaristic one. So you can't really hang your hat on being pro-military by joining the Coast Guard. In fact, joining the Coast Guard used to be a traditional means by which the sons of politicians avoided real military service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
7. Its not all sunshine, it rains pretty substantially here in the winter months and gets below freezing near the coast.
It gets below freezing near the coast? Okay...guess I'll stay away from the coast then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
8. We like our environmental laws because, LA has some of the worst air pollution in North America, my girlfriend can't go to the LA area because she has extremely bad asthma. I would not want the same air pollution that China has.
If the air pollution in L.A. is so bad that your girlfriend can't go there, what's there to like about the state's environmental laws? Having the laws themselves means nothing if they don't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
9. We are not anti-gun quite a few of us own guns, in fact I know a man that has a collection of over 30 different guns However, we are not Texas and we don't want to see people with the 50 caliber revolver hanging from their belt.
Right. We prefer that people carry concealed weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
10. With the exception of Berkley and LA, most of the state is generally conservative.
LA is a liberal city? And it's one of only two in the whole state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
-Thanks for understanding.
-A pissed off California born resident.
The fact is, your presumptions about "non-Californians" probably wouldn't hold up under critical examination. Many of the "other people from other states" you've referenced have previously lived in California. A good many of them were born in the Golden State. They're only "non-Californians" from a status-quo perspective.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top