Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Aviation isn't dead, there are more flights then ever from more companies than ever, but there is a ton of competition so the cushy union jobs of yester-year are no longer the norm. Heck, most pilots now only make about $25k a year. They're now paid about the same as a bus driver.
I never said aviation is dead altogether, it's just not really hoppin' on the west coast any longer. I'm not involved in commercial aviation, I work on the maintenance/private/GA side. Just because flights are coming and going in a particular area doesn't mean the industry is strong, those planes aren't landing here for maintenance I can tell you that much. I've never worked union, nor do I particularly want to as I like the flexibility of being independent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Is that true? We've seen a lot of mergers in recent years but not many new entrants. Seems more like the industry has concentrated and is now reducing capacity.
That's exactly what's happening, and regional airports are losing flights left and right while the rest of commercial flights are funneling into the larger airports. I could probably type an entire dissertation on GA and regional operation, but I'll spare you the boring details and just say that businesses are shutting down left and right and the prevalence of ghost airports is going to become more and more common on the west coast.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Is that true? We've seen a lot of mergers in recent years but not many new entrants. Seems more like the industry has concentrated and is now reducing capacity.
There have been a number of stories on the news about how the reduced hours required to fly (assuming the automatic stuff makes up for it) and the low pay, where some pilots who don't make enough to afford hotel rooms for layovers and rent a bed in a crash house the pilots share. Its been sited as a possible reason for the increased amount of near accidents, where the pilot does not have the experience in dealing with a problem real time, or is just plain too sleepy since the sleep conditions were not sufficent.

I was rather surprised as pilots were the stars and seem to be more like bus drivers in some situations now.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 AM

131 posts, read 167,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There have been a number of stories on the news about how the reduced hours required to fly (assuming the automatic stuff makes up for it) and the low pay, where some pilots who don't make enough to afford hotel rooms for layovers and rent a bed in a crash house the pilots share. Its been sited as a possible reason for the increased amount of near accidents, where the pilot does not have the experience in dealing with a problem real time, or is just plain too sleepy since the sleep conditions were not sufficent.

I was rather surprised as pilots were the stars and seem to be more like bus drivers in some situations now.
You got something against bus drivers?
Some of my best friends are bus drivers.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,267 times
If you moved out of California, where and why did you go?

When I took a voluntary early retirement in 1997 when it was offered to me I took it as fast as could, because I was burnt out from working for a bunch of a__ holes!
Since we couldn't afford to live in California anymore with my small initial pension, we sold everything we owned, paid all of our bills and moved overseas in the Philippines, our roots and we both never had to work anymore!
15 years later we're still here and enjoying our retirement and still not working for a bunch of a__holes anymore!
We have peace of mind, no stress and we are healthy, happy & content!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:58 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Its been sited as a possible reason for the increased amount of near accidents.
Glad you didn't say "near-misses". That one drives me nuts as they're really "near-hits".

Old 11-29-2012, 07:57 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
If you moved out of California, where and why did you go?

When I took a voluntary early retirement in 1997 when it was offered to me I took it as fast as could, because I was burnt out from working for a bunch of a__ holes!
Since we couldn't afford to live in California anymore with my small initial pension, we sold everything we owned, paid all of our bills and moved overseas in the Philippines, our roots and we both never had to work anymore!
15 years later we're still here and enjoying our retirement and still not working for a bunch of a__holes anymore!
We have peace of mind, no stress and we are healthy, happy & content!
My last three places of employment in CA had me working for 1. sleazy a-hole (someone had actually taken the time to write a blog about this guy and his unethical behavior, 2. evil a-hole (demonic forces or something...folks who smiled while stabbing you in the back, destroying records, changing files, etc...) and 3. unadulterated, generic a-hole.

I love CA and always will, but I find myself loving life in small-town New Mexico. I'm heavily into sailing (which I can't really do here) and when I go back to CA, I'll most likely live amongst the good folks in the Sierra foothills, who I find a lot friendlier than the other places I've lived in CA.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:05 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Calaveras County?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:50 PM

53 posts, read 214,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headed2northdakota View Post
left for west Texas for an oil job now back in LA co. with the same oil job best of both worlds really just screw the taxes here i wont even start because it will just make me sick, but i have a life again if you've been to rural west Texas you know what im talking about.
I am located near LA County. Is the company you work for hiring at all?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:02 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
just screw the taxes here i wont even start because it will just make me sick, but i have a life again if you've been to rural west Texas you know what im talking about.
Yep a true disaster, California taxes are a whole 2.7% higher than the tax paradise of Texas.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Yep a true disaster, California taxes are a whole 2.7% higher than the tax paradise of Texas.
there is no income tax in Texas. That isn't really true. You have more of a choice about your taxes. I didn't own property, no property taxes. Sales tax? I don't have to go shopping all the time.

Income tax in CA is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California