Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:46 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Trust me, or not, but, if I make a statement it is based on facts, knowledge and experience.
As well as narrow mindedness usually too.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 PM

23 posts, read 95,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
I miss California. Yeah.. stuff about it sucks. But you know, like choosing a partner, you have to realize that every place/one has issues. You just have to choose the place/person whose issues you can deal with. I need sun and I need the ocean. I miss the laid back attitude and warmth of the people in California. It just does not exist up in this area, no matter how perky and outgoing you are. It's hard for people to be cheerful, I guess, when they're damp all the time and bundled in fleece. I don't know about you, but it's so hard to smile when your feet are cold and wet.

So yeah.. thinking about making the move back. You guys think the traffic is bad there, that's only in the metro areas. It's just as awful up in Seattle, but maybe worse because of all the water around you and only a handful of freeways. I may consider Oregon, but it'd need to be drier than where I am... and I would still miss that vibe.

The point is that it's just so subjective. One person's paradise is another person's doom. I know people up here who grew up in Minnesota who pine for it. I know people who live in the coolest beach town in California, but long for their home in Oregon. And people living in Hawaii who miss their home in Seattle, and vice versa. Some people luck out and find their "home" when they move away from where they are living. Others leave their "home" and long to come back. Home may not be where you grew up, but you always know where it is.. and sometimes you have to leave to find that out.
Ooh, def struck a chord there. I miss the hills/beautiful scenery, and suburbs, and homes, and gated communities, and of course, the people (well most of them anyway)... so many friends. Everything was so easy and laid back there. People on this side (or rather, corner) of the country say stuff like "nouveau riche" even if they live in Boston and have to work for a living, and they're pretty pretentious and exclusive of other people. Hate to admit it, but I do miss California. Maybe I will go back home someday... home being the state... Southern California seems nice. Also on the opposite end of my parents.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 PM

693 posts, read 1,041,024 times
I was born and raised in San Francisco and spent most of my adult life in San Diego. We moved to San Antonio primarily for the cost of living and a slower pace . . . Best decision we ever made. I enjoy going back to visit CA, but overall I don't miss living there. Nothing against Californians (I still consider myself one), but the people here are much more friendly.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:52 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Looking into a possible to any other state in the Southwest.
I like the look and feel of the Mojave desert, but if I want to get out on my own and out my stepdads place, I feel it's better to pour money into owning a house within a reasonable amount of time.
That seems to be easier in the surrounding states than most places around CA. Also, roommates are a thing I don't think I'll be able to put with quite well.
Also, I'm looking into furthering my education in the not-too-distant future and the smaller class-sizes offered at community-college and universities in UT and CO are quite attractive compared to some of the post-HS drama I had to put up with from students at the local CC where I currently live.

This goal is being made somewhat easier by the "somewhat" dedicated trucking route I requested from the current outfit I'm with.
My loads typically run up to Denver from Cabazon via the 15 and 70 freeways and then back/forth from there, or Denver to Phoenix via 25/40/17.

I do whatever is necessary to avoid going up into the "green zone" that the 5 encompasses.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:38 AM

15 posts, read 53,440 times
I've lived in a couple of east coast states (for <5 years), and I prefer being back in CA... primarily because of the milder winter weather. If I were to move out of CA, I would choose to live in either Hawaii, Texas, or one of the Pacific NW states.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:57 PM

23 posts, read 95,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac n cheese View Post
Maybe I will go back home someday... home being the state... Southern California seems nice. Also on the opposite end of my parents.
Never mind. Forgot the other reason why I moved out was because of the hot weather. Preliminary research on popular Southern California cities shows record high temperatures of 104-114 F, respectively.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:01 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac n cheese View Post
Never mind. Forgot the other reason why I moved out was because of the hot weather. Preliminary research on popular Southern California cities shows record high temperatures of 104-114 F, respectively.
AZ, NM, NV, and TX along the border are also places one could find and thrive in the hot-weather.
I guess one excuse for persons wanting to return to CA is always the beach.

I personally could live without the coast and think of the beach as the place where "salty water meets dirt".

Old 04-16-2011, 01:07 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
If you moved out of California, where and why did you go?

My family moved to Concord, California in the summer of 1956, transferred there with E.I Dupont de Nemours, were transferred to Waverly, Tennessee in early February 1957. I was in Elementary School at the time. I have no bad memories of the place, my best memory was a second grade "Show and Tell" project. I brought it into the room in a brown grocery bag, the teacher put it on her desk for safe keeping. When I went up to the front of the room , I opened the bag and dumped out a five foot long California constrictor-(his name was George)- I never knew teachers could move that fast.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I wanted to move out of socal for over a decade. I visited a friend in Oklahoma and fell in love with the open space and breathable air, and laid back pace. Was able to get a house which was about a years worth of rent in socal. I've lived here going on three years and nobody could get me back into smog and choke air.

I still love the open space and laid back pace here. I wish I'd found it ten years before. With family all moving out of California in a few years, I wonder if they'll be a reason to visit.

I still think its funny here when people say how windy it is... live for over 20 years in the santa ana wind tunnel where it never quit the big gusts, and I just consider it a breeze most of the time.
I can see how you wouldn't like So Cal but there are many inland CA cities that feel very similar to Oklahoma: low cost of living, less congestion, conservative, hot, ugly, etc. Maybe Redding?

Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
I can see how you wouldn't like So Cal but there are many inland CA cities that feel very similar to Oklahoma: low cost of living, less congestion, conservative, hot, ugly, etc. Maybe Redding?
But it's still in CA, with high taxes and all. There's more to cost of living than just housing and gasoline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California