Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:59 PM

28 posts, read 66,545 times

Advertisements

There is a very good possibility I will be living in Grover or Arroyo Grande in the near future and want to know if I am going to get run over on my bike or vespa ? I just need to putt around town,go to the beach and the grocery store.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:17 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,639,214 times
No problem, the traffic density is not great. Bike or scooter. For instance, for a year my wife commuted from Arroyo Grande through Grover City to Oceano on her bicycle. She had no problems, as long as she did not go by the high school at first bell or last bell.

Note, if you are going to live in Grover City, live north of Grand Avenue, not south of it. As far as Arroyo Grande, everywhere is fine.

By the way, high end road bicycling is a big deal here, decked out pelotons go by the ranch frequently, especially on weekends. Alex Grewal trained on the local roads.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:56 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,719,244 times
I agree if you are going to live in Grover Beach, then live in the side away from Oceano. One side of the railroad tracks is good, and the other not so good. Of course, the bad part is nothing like some parts of Santa Maria or parts in LA.

Grover Beach though finished their master plan last year, and they are working on revitalizing West Grand Avenue into a better place. A conference center and hotel are planned on the waterfront. The train station has plans to expand.

I think in the next 7-10 years Grover Beach will be a completely different place.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
One side of the railroad tracks is good, and the other not so good
Since there are no homes on the west side of the tracks in Grover City, it would be tough to live there.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Since there are no homes on the west side of the tracks in Grover City, it would be tough to live there.
One end of the area near the tracks is more run down than the other. However the run down area is nothing compared to bad areas of Santa Maria or LA.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
One end of the area near the tracks is more run down than the other. However the run down area is nothing compared to bad areas of Santa Maria or LA.
That is not what you said. The run down areas of Grover have nothing to do with either side of the tracks.

The new conference center will be a hundred dollar saddle on a ten dollar horse.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
That is not what you said. The run down areas of Grover have nothing to do with either side of the tracks.

The new conference center will be a hundred dollar saddle on a ten dollar horse.
Lets give it a shot first. The developers have the money to build and the project is waiting for the Coastal Commission approval to go ahead and build. Grover Beach has plans for an outdoor mall (would be twice the size of Carmel Plaza in Carmel), the hotel and conference center, and more businesses and art galleries throughout areas near West Grand Avenue. Apparently, I heard there are some interested developers. More tourism and more businesses will help boost the economy of this city. Look at Pismo Beach. It has bars, a bowling alley, an outlet mall, a big box center, coffee shops, cafes, and more and it's a booming tourist place.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM

If anyone out there is wondering why I called the conference center (with which I am closely involved) a hundred dollar saddle on a ten dollar horse, get thee hence to Grover City, and drive around the neighborhoods, look at the shops on the main street, Grand Avenue.

The Grover City Police and Arroyo Grande Police considered a merger this year. The training of the Grover PD was so poor compared to Arroyo Grande, that the expense of bringing Grover PD up to the same standard of training as Arroyo Grande was cost prohibitive, so it did not happen.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
If anyone out there is wondering why I called the conference center (with which I am closely involved) a hundred dollar saddle on a ten dollar horse, get thee hence to Grover City, and drive around the neighborhoods, look at the shops on the main street, Grand Avenue.

The Grover City Police and Arroyo Grande Police considered a merger this year. The training of the Grover PD was so poor compared to Arroyo Grande, that the expense of bringing Grover PD up to the same standard of training as Arroyo Grande was cost prohibitive, so it did not happen.
You got to have faith dude. There are nice areas in Grover Beach, and yes, not all of the areas near the beach are nice. This higher-end development plans on raising prices, and that usually drives out lower-income residents from living here.

And I am confused how you are involved in the hotel and conference center and yet you whine about development on every other thread. Maybe you are working AGAINST the development? Which then makes no sense since you live in AG, and in that case, what happens in another town is none of dang business. And I don't want to be hippocrit, so I will say I don't live in GB but I am voicing my opinion in hopes of it becoming a better place.

You know Clarks you can't stop development. It can be slowed, but not stopped. Development creates money if it's successful. Money gives us fire, police, and other amneties. Without that Wal-Mart in AG your area might be a dump. Ya never know.

Almost everywhere has good and bad areas these days. There are bad areas in Monterey and in Santa Barbara. There are white gangs in AG. Paso has it's bad area. Nipomo has it's bad area. I bet you AG will have a "present" bad area. And in that case, do you intend to move Clarks? Does a little crime scare you? I think Grover is great because it's affordable and near the beach, and it's creating a tourist destination area with an outdoor mall, hotels, art galleries, and attractive businesses.

Might I also remind you that Cuesta and Hancock both wanted to build a community college in GB. I personally prefer Hancock.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,139,115 times
Oooops.. I missed Grover on our escape from Pismo, during the car show the other week. Actually I saw the road to the beach.. It looked foreboding, went to oceano instead.

IMO Walmart in AG, matter of fact that whole development on the hill, might as well be another town, as it is very not AG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California