Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:25 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Remember we are not talking adults, that is totally different, we are taling about adults having the authority to didtate, to a degree what young people can do. Kids do not know everything and they do not always use good judgement.

Nita
They tried passing that stupid law here in Virginia but the people here at least have some allegiance to the civil liberties of our forefathers. We still revere the likes of Jefferson and Madison. It was killed by the state senate after massive quantities of derision from the local citizenry who didn't want our commonwealth becoming the nation's laughingstock.

Actually I'm noticing that kids nowadays have a lot more sense than adults, and certainly a lot more than today's adults had as children. The best thing for them would probably be to have us outlawed. This world will be a lot better when they're in charge and we're gone.

Let's be honest this is all driven by white-wing, anti-black racism, much as the overreaction in past years to rap music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They tried passing that stupid law here in Virginia but the people here at least have some allegiance to the civil liberties of our forefathers. We still revere the likes of Jefferson and Madison. It was killed by the state senate after massive quantities of derision from the local citizenry who didn't want our commonwealth becoming the nation's laughingstock.

Actually I'm noticing that kids nowadays have a lot more sense than adults, and certainly a lot more than today's adults had as children. The best thing for them would probably be to have us outlawed. This world will be a lot better when they're in charge and we're gone.

Let's be honest this is all driven by white-wing, anti-black racism, much as the overreaction in past years to rap music.
OMG, I can't believe you said that; driven by white-wing, anti blacks, boy do you have a chip on your shoulder or something. That has to be one of the nuttiest comments I have ever heard. Kids have more street knowledge but more sense, no, they are kids. I wonder how old you are, how much time you spend around kids and if you have any teen agers of your own?

As for it being voted down or overturned in Va, I didn't say it would be passed anywhere, I said it should be. A lot of laws should be changed, but may never be.

Nita

Old 04-16-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, I can't believe you said that; driven by white-wing, anti blacks, boy do you have a chip on your shoulder or something. That has to be one of the nuttiest comments I have ever heard. Kids have more street knowledge but more sense, no, they are kids. I wonder how old you are, how much time you spend around kids and if you have any teen agers of your own?

As for it being voted down or overturned in Va, I didn't say it would be passed anywhere, I said it should be. A lot of laws should be changed, but may never be.

Nita
I have no teenagers, that's true. And I know I'm not as old as you. My kids are now in their 20s and think crap like this is ridiculous, as did the Virginia state senate. I wouldn't consider my viewpoint "nutty" as it was at one time shared by 5 members of the United States Supreme Court and likely by a majority of today's Californians:

Cohen v. California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lest anyone thing this kind of reactionary behavior by local governments is new, read the last couple paragraphs here about the zoot suit riots in 1940s L.A.

"NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the City Council by Resolution find that the wearing of Zoot Suits constitutes a public nuisance and does hereby instruct the City Attorney to prepare an ordinance declaring same a nuisance and prohibit the wearing of Zoot Suits with reet pleats within the city limits of Los Angeles."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/zoot/en...amap_text.html

Attempts to regulate behavior through fashion go even further back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumptuary_law

Right wingers are like Glen Close in Fatal Attaction. They just keep poppin' their ugly mugs up out of the tub.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 04-16-2011 at 12:41 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 12:48 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Quote:
They tried passing that stupid law here in Virginia but the people here at least have some allegiance to the civil liberties of our forefathers.
I suppose that prohibiting the use of cell phones, confiscating MP3 players, giving students detention for profanity and expelling them for bringing guns to school could all be construed as unconstitutional and violations of civil liberties by extremists who think that our public schools are nothing more than a testing ground for the limits of free expression and civil rights.

The need to provide a safe environment and create a scholastic climate that promotes learning trumps all these dingbat arguments.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
I suppose that prohibiting the use of cell phones, confiscating MP3 players, giving students detention for profanity and expelling them for bringing guns to school could all be construed as unconstitutional and violations of civil liberties by extremists who think that our public schools are nothing more than a testing ground for the limits of free expression and civil rights.

The need to provide a safe environment and create a scholastic climate that promotes learning trumps all these dingbat arguments.
Actually we had a cell phone ban in schools here in our county that was rescinded after 9/11 when parents freaked out because they couldn't reach their kids as planes were falling out of the sky. It hasn't really been a problem since then. Teachers just instruct the kids to turn off their phones and only confiscate electronic devices if they become disruptive. In some parts of our state during hunting season kids are allowed to bring their deer rifles to school as long as they keep them in their lockers. Restricting other types of guns at school though is reasonable and a compelling state interest. Restricting baggy clothing is not.

I doubt the motivation here is "safety" as much as keeping little Johnnie from turning into an Obama loving urban atheist. .

Old 04-16-2011, 02:14 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
I doubt the motivation here is "safety" as much as keeping little Johnnie from turning into an Obama loving urban atheist. .
Your permissive paranoia aside, perhaps it's merely a distaste for people going around in public with their asses and/or underwear hanging out - a matter of civility, not civil rights.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Your permissive paranoia aside, perhaps it's merely a distaste for people going around in public with their asses and/or underwear hanging out - a matter of civility, not civil rights.
Hardly worthy of legislative action. My other question is why would this need to be a state law? I believe local school districts are perfectly free to pass their own dress codes. Why do you need the heavy hand of the state to weigh in on what really is more appropriate for parents and district administrators to work out? Maybe you what you call paranoia is just a healthy skepticism toward government regulation of non-violent personal behavior. Fortunately a majority of American share this view. This ain't France.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:55 PM

115 posts, read 327,058 times
CAVA1990, all your examples involve adults over the age of 18. This post is referring to highschool students. Majority I will assume are under the age of 18.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_travelbug_X View Post
CAVA1990, all your examples involve adults over the age of 18. This post is referring to highschool students. Majority I will assume are under the age of 18.
There are 18 year olds in high school. I don't believe they're exempt under this crazy law. Besides, it doesn't matter who it's applied to, it's a stupid abuse of government that doesn't rise to the level of furthering a "compelling state interest". Leave it up to the parents and their school boards to work out.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:25 PM

115 posts, read 327,058 times
Just curious, do you think it is OK for schools to allow girls showing "whale tails"? That is when a girl has her pants pulled so low you can see her thong underwear. Or girls wearing micro mini skirts to school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California