Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 47,689 times

Advertisements

My landlord just sent me a notice advising that the rent will be going up two hundred dollars more a month. The apartment is not rent control and she only gave me a 30-days notice. Is this right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 12:58 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
You are really asking two different questions.

1. Can they? Yes, unless it is rent controlled they can raise to whatever they feel they can get away with.

2. Is it right? Do you feel you have a moral obligation to use your car to provide transportation to anyone who needs it? I think not, because you purchased it with the intention of personal use. Let's say you bought it with the intention of running a taxi service. Should you be forced to accept whatever fare your customer feels is proper, or should you be allowed to charge what you feel is fair compensation (whatever that may be)?

I don't think anyone has a moral obligation to accept anything less than fair market value for a rental property. I think it shows poor mgt skills if they have to raise the rent that much at a time to stay in alignment with the competitive market. I don't see it as immoral, which is how I interpret your question if it is right.

You didn't ask, but it seems implied that you feel the 30 day notice was too short, if your lease is a month to month that is all that is required. If you have a longer lease, check the lease terms and see if the notification clause has been violated. I will guess it has not.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 45,159 times
My mom is a senior and lives in San Francisco. Her rent is going from $1500 a month to $1750 starting in March when her lease is due for renewal. I thought rent can be raise only 4%. Is the amount the landlord adding on legal?

Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
It's free market... just like going to the local mall... unless there is a rent control ordinance.

With Rent Control the owner needs to follow the approved formulae(s) to increase rent.

Some Rent Control allow the rent increase to be banked... for use at a later date... Some put an annual cap and others have provisions for capital expenditure recovery with Rent Board Approval.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
In California, the rent can only be increased 10% in a 12-month period without needing a 60-day notice. If the rent is only going up 10%, 30 days' notice is sufficient. If the rent is going up more than 10%, then 60 days' notice is needed.

Example:

After you've lived in your apartment three months, the landlord decides to raise the rent 5% with 30 days' notice. After another three months, he/she raises it another 5% with 30 days' notice. Those increases are completely legal. If the rent is raised again, though, before a year has gone by since the first increase, that increase requires a 60 day notice.

So if that $200 is more than a 10% increase in the rent you're now paying, the 30 days notice is illegal; 60 days notice is legal.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Sandy is correct and my oversight for omitting the notice requirement...

This link will take you to the California Department of Consumer Affairs page that addresses rent increases...

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 01-28-2009, 07:15 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twokidznadog View Post
My mom is a senior and lives in San Francisco. Her rent is going from $1500 a month to $1750 starting in March when her lease is due for renewal. I thought rent can be raise only 4%. Is the amount the landlord adding on legal?
I think the laws vary by city, but that sounds like a lot. Is her landlord nuts? People are lowering rents right now, not raising them.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
San Francisco has rent control. According to their website, the maximum rent increase is 2.2% (between 3/1/09 and 2/28/10. Your mom's rent is going up 14%! Are you sure she actually lives in the City of San Francisco?

San Francisco Rent Board (http://www.sfgov.org/site/rentboard_index.asp - broken link)

Quote:

Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Quote:
That rent increase is way out of whack!

see:

San Francisco Tenants Union: Tenants and Renters Rights

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: California

California Tenants Rights

and hopefully her landlord is not this jerk:

BeyondChron: San Francisco's Alternative Online Daily News » San Francisco Judges Nullify Tenants Rights

Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 33,110 times
I appreciate all the great info and insight on rent increases. The problem i have is my apartment building and the one next door were once two separate locations owned by private individuals, recently bought out by a corporation, making the two buildings one property. After about 4 months, the resident manager decided to raise the rent by over 25%, 1275 to 1700 a month.

Is this legal? how can I find out if these buildings are a rent controlled area? The name of the corporation is VILLAGE I but I can't find any information on them on the internet other than I've been told they are based in Los Angeles. No other information and the resident manger refuses to provide the information.

Any suggestions and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California