Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,465,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Is Hillary Clinton "most people?"

You're "asinine" for not tolerating my views.
I edited my post and added some for you. I just randomly entered in some well known politicians and every single one came from somewhere else; Michael Bloomberg, BARACK OBAMA, and Mitt Romney. I'm sure you can find more examples if you bothered looking.

I'm sure if it was a politician you liked you probably wouldn't have problem with their parents being from outside CA. She's a native Californian no matter what you try to tell yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,258,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Hillary Clinton? Michael Bloomberg? BARACK OBAMA? Mitt Romney? I don't think most voters care about where a politician was raised but rather about how good of a candidate they are.
I didn't know Hillary, barack, bloomberg, and romney were all elected by the voters of a single state? Which state would that be?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I'm sure if it was a politician you liked you probably wouldn't have problem with their parents being from outside CA. She's a native Californian no matter what you try to tell yourself.
I've already made my statement. If you want to make a different one then it's on you to change peoples opinion.

I said feinstein's influence is foreign and it is true. Her parents were from Poland. I will tell myself that all day 24 hours a day if I want to.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I didn't know Hillary, barack, bloomberg, and romney were all elected by the voters of a single state? Which state would that be?
I guess you're not sharp enough to realize I was pointing out examples of different states that have elected politicians from outside that state. You claimed that people from other states wouldn't elect somebody from outside their region and I just provided examples of three different states that have done exactly that.

Quote:
I said feinstein's influence is foreign and it is true. Her parents were from Poland. I will tell myself that all day 24 hours a day if I want to.
Still doesn't maker her a non-native or an outsider.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,493,601 times
Quote:
Pelosi? Barbara Boxer? I'm sure most people don't even realize that these two big names aren't even from CA originally.

I'm sure most politicians are from CA but there are some big ones that are not. I know at the local level in SF and SD you find a fair amount of former east coasters too.
Pelosi's from a family that was part of the old Baltimore political machine (her dad was a congressman and her brother was mayor) and married into SF money. Boxer's from NYC. Most SF mayors have been natives ; the current mayor, Ed Lee, is from Washington, and Willie Brown was from Texas. Prior to Willie, you'd have to go back to Angelo Rossi who was mayor in the '30s and '40s to find an SF mayor who wasn't born in California. Rossi was born in Italy but lived in SF from childhood. There were a few other 19th and early 20th century SF mayors who were born outside the US, in Germany and Ireland not surprisingly given SF's history.

L.A. has had only two native Californians as mayor since CA became part of the US - Hahn and Villaraigosa (and the fathers of both were immigrants). Riordan was from NYC, Bradley was from Texas, Yorty was from somewhere in the Lower Midwest (I think Missouri?)

Don't know as much about San Diego politics but most of their politicians are not California natives.

Of the 3 Californian presidents the only one who was a native Californian was Nixon. Hoover (the only Bay Area president) and Reagan were both from the Midwest originally and came to California as adults.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I guess you're not sharp enough to realize I was pointing out examples of different states that have elected politicians from outside that state. You claimed that people from other states wouldn't elect somebody from outside their region and I just provided examples of three different states that have done exactly that.

I'd tell you to stay on topic but you probably have ADD. So that's probably too much. We're talking about California's penchant for electing people from outside of the state. To which I said, most people in other states would not.

Then you mentioned something stupid like "hillary."

So hillary, bloomberg, and romney are supposed to convince me that most other states are like California.

What do you mean outside influence doesn't matter? How so?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Feinstein's (Jewish) father was born in California. I doubt his parents were, however. Her (Catholic) mother was Polish.

For better or worse she is definitely part and parcel of a long standing political tradition in California - albeit a tradition that originated and long flourished in the Republican Party, not the Democratic Party.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I'd tell you to stay on topic but you probably have ADD. So that's probably too much. We're talking about California's penchant for electing people from outside of the state. To which I said, most people in other states would not.

So hillary, bloomberg, and romney are supposed to convince me that most other states are like California.

Bloomberg is a definite exception to NY's politics. Not only because he's not from NYC but also because he's a Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots fan.

Romney's a definite exception in MA politics. Not sure why he chose to make his political career in MA rather than MI, because his father's still remembered fondly in MI.

Obama is unique in being a West Coaster who was involved in IL politics. There was no precedent for that.

Arizona has plenty of non-natives in its politics - as, like California, it has seen much migration from elsewhere.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Bloomberg is a definite exception to NY's politics. Not only because he's not from NYC but also because he's a Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots fan.

Romney's a definite exception in MA politics. Not sure why he chose to make his political career in MA rather than MI, because his father's still remembered fondly in MI.

Obama is unique in being a West Coaster who was involved in IL politics. There was no precedent for that.

Arizona has plenty of non-natives in its politics - as, like California, it has seen much migration from elsewhere.
I never said no other state has ever elected an outside official. California, however, seems to have a steady diet of non native representatives. How many Californians have other states such as Alabama, MA, GA, ID, CT,VA appointed as governors and senators?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Yes and I provided examples of several states that have elected big name politicians that are not from that state, which contradicts your statement. What is so difficult to understand about that? That is not off topic at all and even if it was you were the one that brought up other states and the people they elect to begin with.

Yes Hillary Clinton is a good example of people electing someone not from their home state, how is that stupid?

All I did is provide examples that contradict your statement that most people in other states would not elect people from outside the state. It's not my fault you don't realize this also happens elsewhere besides CA. I'm just pointing out facts, no need to be so defensive and dense.

I never said outside influence doesn't matter and you're the only one implying some "outside influence" anyways. Since the topic is about native and non-native politicians, I was just pointing out how she is native no matter what spin you try to put on it. And what's even more ridiculous is you suggested some sort of communist influence just because her parents are Polish, which is just retarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California