Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:44 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I never said no other state has ever elected an outside official. California, however, seems to have a steady diet of non native representatives. How many Californians have other states such as Alabama, MA, GA, ID, CT,VA appointed as governors and senators?
VA? Former Governor and Senator George Allen of Palos Verdes.
GA? MA? AL? CT? Probably none.
Former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm is from Mountain View.
Former New York Congressman and HUD Secretary Jack Kemp was from L.A.
Current Arizona Governor Jan Brewer is from Hawthorne.
Current Oregon US Senator Ron Wyden is from Palo Alto.
Former Oregon Governor Robert Straub was from San Francisco.
The states with the most Californians elected to office would be Oregon, Arizona, and most likely Nevada, although I can't think off hand of any Nevadan politicians from California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 01:04 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
I have seen this state decline a lot in the past years and I started taking a good look at the politicians and their very liberal thinking, I have found that quite a bit of the politicians in this state are not even from here (most of them are either from New York, Massachusetts or New Jersey)....
Many of the conservative CA politicians of the past were transplants!
I mentioned Hoover, Reagan, and Yorty (conservative Dem) already.
Also:
William Gibbs McAdoo (conservative Dem) from Georgia.
Max Rafferty from Louisiana.
S.I. Hayakawa from British Columbia.
Pete Wilson (moderate as US Senator, conservative as governor) from Illinois.
Bob Dornan from New York.
John Schmitz from Wisconsin.
Etc. etc. etc.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:47 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Many here are missing the OP's (invalid) point. Pretty much all the non-native politicians people have mentioned so far hold Federal office. The OP was arguing that the state has gone downhill because of non-native liberal politicians. That means state and local government officials. This is why I pointed out that the governor, lt. governor, atty. gen. and assembly speaker are all natives. In fact I'd bet there are more natives in state offices now than ever. Barbara Boxer and Nancy Pelosi, are irrelevant to the discussion.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I don't understand the point of this thread. Who cares where someone was born? No where in the California Constitution does it say that you have to be born in California to hold office in the state. Why would anyone bring it up? You don't like the people in power now? I get that. Still they were elected and the only way to change that is to have people vote them out.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Many here are missing the OP's (invalid) point. Pretty much all the non-native politicians people have mentioned so far hold Federal office. The OP was arguing that the state has gone downhill because of non-native liberal politicians. That means state and local government officials. This is why I pointed out that the governor, lt. governor, atty. gen. and assembly speaker are all natives. In fact I'd bet there are more natives in state offices now than ever. Barbara Boxer and Nancy Pelosi, are irrelevant to the discussion.
Good point.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
I have seen this state decline a lot in the past years and I started taking a good look at the politicians and their very liberal thinking, I have found that quite a bit of the politicians in this state are not even from here (most of them are either from New York, Massachusetts or New Jersey), so the argument and the hate against us Californians, moving to other states to "liberalize them" is moot, most of us want to get away from these politicians. So what do you think about this?
Are politicians in California even from planet Earth?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:40 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
Quote:
Diane Feinstein, Polish parents (communist influence).
She's a native San Franciscan of Polish Jewish and Russian Orthodox background who went to a Catholic girl's high school. Yeah, damn commie.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:03 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
I never said no other state has ever elected an outside official. California, however, seems to have a steady diet of non native representatives. How many Californians have other states such as Alabama, MA, GA, ID, CT,VA appointed as governors and senators?
Look, California is a state that attracts a lot of people (transplants) who move here from other states and countries for opportunity. So naturally, it is going to have a lot of elected officials who weren't born in the state, just like much of its population.

By your reasoning, someone who was born in Korea or Illinois but moved to California at the age of 4 and has lived there since is an "outsider"? That is really stretching it.

In my eyes, anyone who lives in the state, and is committed to making the state their home, by their actions and thoughts, is a Californian. And if you don't like what your elected representative is doing, regardless of where he/she is born, put pressure on them, and if they don't do that, vote them out.

Birthplace is irrelevant. Haven't we had enough of this birther stuff with Obama already?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
She's a native San Franciscan of Polish Jewish and Russian Orthodox background who went to a Catholic girl's high school. Yeah, damn commie.
Also went to Stanford University, became a San Francisco supervisor (city council representative), then mayor, and then senator (for the last 20 years).

She's now in her late seventies and has been a resident of the state for almost if not all of her life.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,210 times
Quote:
I have seen this state decline a lot in the past years and I started taking a good look at the politicians and their very liberal thinking, I have found that quite a bit of the politicians in this state are not even from here (most of them are either from New York, Massachusetts or New Jersey), so the argument and the hate against us Californians, moving to other states to "liberalize them" is moot, most of us want to get away from these politicians. So what do you think about this?
I don't think you really want to get me started on this one. But, I will give you just one example of things that are ruining your state. C. A. R. B. ( and California EPA)
The same agency that is charged with making your environment safer and healthier for you. Twenty years ago, California EPA was saying that diesel fumes cause cancer. To improve the environment, we got "low-sulphur" fuel. Today, we have engines on truck and trains that are certified, "CLEAN-IDLE". Taking the sufphur out of the fuel adds cost to the fuel. That adds to the cost of delivery, and you pay your share in the stores. The "CLEAN-IDLE" technology adds more cost that gets tacked at the cash register. It all means that your cost of living is going up and up. But, do you get any benefit from it all? No one is sharing any of the additional money with you, are they? And, is it actually cleaning up the air? I'll bet you still see the San Bernadino mountains through a blue haze.

Now, think about this. In Australia, the government did a "real-time" study of miners, working underground with diesel equipment. Yeah, and they're not using low-sulphur fuel either. Over a 30 year period, the miners had 15% fewer cases of cancer than the general public that had nothing to do with the mines or diesel fuel or fumes. If those diesel fumes cause cancer, as California says, the miners should have had significantly higher cancer rates than the general populace. They spend their working day in tunnels, underground, with diesel engines running, and there is no escape from the fumes. They get more of it than you do in LA smog. But, they're not getting the cancer.

While we're at it, let's all jump on the bandwagon for tobacco products too. If you're unfortunate enough to have had cancer, have cancer, or be diagnosed with cancer in the future, and are given chemo-therapy for your treatment, there's a better than excellent chance you're being given a tobacco by-product in your chemo. And, how do I know this? I was a truck driver. One load I hauled went to a pharmaceutical company. When I got there, I asked them what they did with the load I had, and I was told that all they do is blend chemo for cancer patients. The load I had was 30,000 pounds of nicotine to be used to cure cancer.

Now, if you really want to clean up your environment, start taking a really good look at the food you eat. Any idea just how many chemicals are in there? And, just what kind? No, I'm not talking about the preservatives. Take a really good look at the soil the crops are grown on. Agri-chemicals are a multi-billion dollar a year industry. Look when the fields are being prepared for planting. It gets sprayed with chemicals. Herbicides, pesticides, fungicides. As the crop grows, crop dusters fly over, or the farmer hooks a huge tank behind the tractor and sprays the crop himself. More chemicals. Proven fact that anything that gets into the soil, is also taken up by the plant. Any one or all of the above, in what ever proportion was applied to the field.

Remember "AGENT ORANGE" from Viet Nam? Remember what the guys went through that had it? A few are still going through it. Remember the hassle? Agent Orange was a "DEFOLIANT". A "HERBICIDE". No, that's not what's getting sprayed on the fields, but it is related. Of course, the government says a small quantity is acceptable for consumption. It won't hurt you. You know, it's really funny. I remember a time when you could chew asbestos like gum if you wanted to. You might get a few strange looks, but nothing other than that. Look what you have to wear for safety equipment if you're getting within 100 feet of it, today.

A few years ago, I talked to someone that was supposed to be in a position to give me some answers. I asked him how dangerous is "Atrizene". He looked it up in a book and said the "index number" was 2000. I'd have to drowned in a bath tub of it before it would harm me. Ok, now what are the long range effects? Say 30 years after it is ingested? I got a blank stare. "We don't know. It's too new." Atrizene has been commonly used on cornfields for the last 60 years that I know of, and it's still too new to know the long range effects? The testing hasn't been done.

So, in the morning, we sit our kids down to the breakfast table, and give them a bowl of cornflakes (spiked with Atrizene and other chemicals) and milk (also spiked with atrizene and other chemicals), and love them, hug them. and send them off to school. Are already pre-determining that at age 45, they're going to be fighting cancer?

By all means, do not get me started with California Politics. Some of them "need" to be shot, but that will not happen that I know of. And, all of this is raising your cost of living, but is anyone giving you any kind of kick-back? No. All they are doing is raising your taxes like all politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California