Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Actually I think they should replace the word "Jolts" with "defibrilates". LOL. Still this is welcomed news!

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO—California's economic recovery is kicking into higher gear, with unexpectedly strong job growth propelled by a pickup in technology hiring, as the nation's biggest and richest state starts to beat back its formidable budget deficit.

The state added 90,600 jobs in the first quarter, more than the increase of 82,600 for all of 2010, according to seasonally adjusted data from its Employment Development Department that exceeded most analysts' estimates. That put California, a poster state for American economies hobbled by the housing bust, above the national average, with a year-over-year increase in employment of 1.2% in the first quarter, compared with 1% nationwide...

For now, the job growth is largely being fueled by "the three T's—tech, trade and tourism," said Stephen Levy, director of the Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy, a think tank in Palo Alto, Calif.
The recovery has been strongest in the northern part of the state, where the technology industry is most concentrated. Southern California was hit particularly hard by the housing slump.

MOD CUT

Read more: California Tech Hiring Gives State Economy a Jolt - WSJ.com

Last edited by NewToCA; 05-16-2011 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 11:04 AM

474 posts, read 905,004 times
Definitely good for CA. Since so many of these companies have employees all over - I hope it indicates increased hiring in other places.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:53 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
I would say that's good news except the numbers are bogus. There was an article yesterday that explained that and it made sence because in the same time frame the national unemployment number went up! Go figure.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:08 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
I would say that's good news
I seriously doubt this.

LOL.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I seriously doubt this.

LOL.
Not in this environment where mainstream media is the propaganda machine for our governments corrupt actions in this economic crisis.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:44 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
anecdotally I can say that high tech workers remain in high demand, both in southern and northern california. the company i work for has to look for foreign workers due to the lack of supply of americans in this field. if you have high schoolers who want to be set job wise after college, tell them to study IT, they're almost guaranteed work in one of the large metros in CA.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:30 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
anecdotally I can say that high tech workers remain in high demand, both in southern and northern california. the company i work for has to look for foreign workers due to the lack of supply of americans in this field. if you have high schoolers who want to be set job wise after college, tell them to study IT, they're almost guaranteed work in one of the large metros in CA.
I would have to say that while working in the valley, I have observed that foreign workers are most certainly not brought in due to lack of supply of Americans. They are brought in because companies can :
#1 - pay them less
#2 - Use the fear of deportation to get them to work insane hours
#3 - once their buddies get in management.. they tend to only hire their own
#4 - once brought up to sufficient speed overseas are brought to the U.S shores to start and manage a little enclave of like skinned workers
#5 - Sure management notes such 'immigrant' teams works good .. It's because they are all buddies and share and promote only each other ... They band together and cover each other's behinds ... So management sees.. hey, good work immigrant manager... and immigrant manager hires even more of his people while higher ups look the other way. Try seeing if that same manager promotes an American worker the same way... If the other immigrants share knowledge with the Americans as they do their own.

IT is a dead industry as most of it is offshored. Onshore, it overflows w/ H1B Visa holders... Not only that, companies like vmware/cloud services are aiming to further reduce the headcount needed to run a data center.. the need for IT/etc... Engineering is a more solid area to get into and even then you see #1-#5 quite often in the valley. At some of the older tech companies you see people from India/China always flowing in to the indian/chinese dominated groups ... In some cases I have seen some people who have only a year of programming experience get the placement for a job req for someone w/ 2 years experience and a masters degree... sure they got the heart and hunger to work the job but it takes over a year for them to catch up to speed and on the theory part are severely slacking (thus the many longterm/structural issues seen w/ the scaling of code) ... I see it company wide ... I hear of it at many other companies....

Middle aged people from tech support in india w/ little programming experience filling job reqs that an American college student could do hitting the ground only because hey.. the manager is a recent immigrant and the operation in his native country of bug fixers/tech support work under that manager... and the manager wants to give his 'brothers' from the homeland a shot at opportunity...

As for tech hiring, i see a lot of it centered in social media and I have a good feeling that industry will soon go through a serious consolidation/weed out of all of these bogus non-revenue generating app-mania startups.

Not enough supply of qualified Americans... Give me a break

Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
My husband would agree with you. He actually does the hiring for his department and even during the worse of the economic crisis, surprisingly he couldn't find any American with the necessary skills to hire. After 6 months of posting on Craiglist and all the usual sites, finally found a database guy with the needed skillset--born in India. Everyone on my husband's team is also born outside of the country- including him (Europe). They all make the going rate--not any less than the equivalently skilled American

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that American youth are generally less concerned with math, sciences, etc. and focused more on partying, and scraping by in college. Things have gotten a lot more competitive and sadly Americans are falling short.

Gee, take a look at our graduation rates and test scores and it's pretty obvious. Let's look at all the doctors and scientists now days--all foreign born as well. It's all about qualifications and education, and sadly, Americans are in the minority here.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
My husband would agree with you. He actually does the hiring for his department and even during the worse of the economic crisis, surprisingly he couldn't find any American with the necessary skills to hire. After 6 months of posting on Craiglist and all the usual sites, finally found a database guy with the needed skillset--born in India. Everyone on my husband's team is also born outside of the country- including him (Europe). They all make the going rate--not any less than the equivalently skilled American

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that American youth are generally less concerned with math, sciences, etc. and focused more on partying, and scraping by in college. Things have gotten a lot more competitive and sadly Americans are falling short.

Gee, take a look at our graduation rates and test scores and it's pretty obvious. Let's look at all the doctors and scientists now days--all foreign born as well. It's all about qualifications and education, and sadly, Americans are in the minority here.
posting on Craiglist? ... nuff said

That explains the world class operation ...

Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
posting on Craiglist? ... nuff said

That explains the world class operation ...
Yeah seriously ... People hire foreign because they want to .. I know plenty of qualified american grads w/ 3.5 or greater GPAs in comp sci from top 10 schools in America that can't find jobs .. bachelors/masters .. you name it.

Foreigners come here and do well due the graciousness of open borders and they snub their nose at the idea of hiring American... No offense but Europe isn't exactly boiling over w/ engineers/tech workers....

The U.S has plenty of qualified engineers... A common practice that used to exist here is that you bring thirsty and moldable college students into your corporation and grow and nurture them ... Now-a-days, no ones gives a crap about that and instead would rather find some clown from overseas who has specific skills in one area to do the job and not the broad base of knowledge that one has coming out of college.. (thank god all companies aren't doing this) ....
Thus, many times I see products thrown together any old kind of way w/ pieces tying very loosely together w/ no sustainable future.. it's what happens when you get a person who just knows A .. a person who knows B,C,D,E ... to put a word together...

Then when SHTF they solve the problem by hiring 100 code monkeys in india to play whak-a-mole w/ bug fixes in order to try to stamp out all the structural issues their pigeon hole engineers failed to see...

Craigslist ? Seriously ...
You ever hear of linked in? HR department? Head hunters ? college career offices? ...

You didn't find qualified Americans because you never were looking for any.. Probably posted on craigslist just to fulfill some legality knowing good and well someone w/ those qualifications wouldn't be looking on craigslist for such a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California