Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 8,570 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Most of the forum information for the area around Edwards is out of date so I was hoping to start a new thread with more recent information.

I'm being sent to Edwards within the next year or so and would like to know where the nice places to live are.

So far my best ideas are either Tehachapi or North Edwards. Tehachapi because I've heard good things about it and North Edwards because it is the closet to the main part of the base.

Thank you,
A far away Midweterner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 AM

541 posts, read 1,730,359 times
Well Edward AFB doesn't have much that I know of. I've never lived there, but besides military services, all services and shopping would be in nearby Lancaster and Palmdale. That is about a 30 minute drive through open desert scrublands. Hospitals also in Lancaster/Palmdale area. The closer town of Rosamond doesn't have much to offer at all. Just sort of a lower class community with little there. The area is very dry, and rather dull in my opinion.

Best of luck when there.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner1000 View Post
where the nice places to live are.
A lot of people like living on the beach - it's pretty nice. Is that OK? I didn't think so, kind of far.

What does "nice" mean? Cheap? Close? Demographically similar?
Good schools? Luxurious?

What is your budget?
What's your age?
Married? Kids? Ages?

Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,570 times
For me, nice mainly means safe. I'd like to rent something that is also cheap and close to Edwards, but safe is my highest priority. Next highest priority would be the availability of places to grocery shop and get med/high quality ingredients or good restaurants.

My budget will be under $1000 a month but preferably closer to $500 a month (which is what I pay now). I will be a single AF officer just out of college with no kids. I'll probably be at Edwards for 3-4 years.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM

16 posts, read 43,099 times
My wife works in Antelope Valley, and we've looked into buying property there. I've been all over AV for years, but have never lived there. I personally like AV, and jump at visiting whenever I can. Not everyone shares this sentiment.

The base is located near Rosamond, CA east of the 14 freeway in the Mojave Desert. The famous Tropico Gold Mine is to the west, and is worth a look (Tropico Hill - Mining in the Antelope Valley). Lots of great places around there for outdoor fun, but you will need a vehicle to reach them all. Be sure to check out Red Rocks/Vasquez County Park and Placerita Canyon Park-they're about 45 minutes south of the base off the 14 as well. You can join a prospecting club and have access to gold fields to the north in the El Pasos, and many other places. This is just one relatively unknown hobby you can acquire in SoCal. There are limitless activities indoor and out.

Consider holding off on buying or renting until you've lived in the area for some time. If you can obtain on-base housing, that's your safest bet for the near term. No worries about safety on base, housing is covered, and you will not be rushed into deciding on off-base housing-with later regrets. Feel free to message me and I will be happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

You can find plenty of online reviews of Rosamond, Palmdale, Lancaster, etc rentals with pricing. You should be able to find a 2 bedroom for $1000/mo or under, and less for a 1 bedroom. Roughly, you can reach Lancaster in about 10-15 mins from Rosamond, and Palmdale in about 20 mins.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM

4 posts, read 32,122 times
Default Cal City is not too bad...

my husband and I just relocated to the area a couple of months ago. After a little searching, we found a nice place in California City. It is 1900 square foot, 4 bedrooms, and we pay $800/mo. The area we live in is pretty isolated and nice. We were more interested in having less of a commute and having a nicer area to live then about being close to everything. There are some on Edwards that make an hour commute or more. Some of the areas are quite expensive and the houses were not as nice as the ones we had seen in California City. The drive from California City is about 20 minutes, though it has very little as far as business. Most of your shopping will come from online, the base, or other cities if you live here. Check out AHRN.com, there is a large list of houses for the area.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM

19 posts, read 57,908 times
You can have inexpensive and close, or you can have groceries and good restaurants. Don't bother with North Edwards, I don't think they even have a mini-mart.
You might find something around $500 in Cal City but I don't know if it would be safe. You won't have a grocery store anywhere near you either. If you're into ATVs or dirt bikes you will have a great time, they set out the welcome mat to that crowd every weekend and during holidays there are thousands of them.
Rosamond is a little better in terms of amenities, and just as close to base, but still there's not much to do there.
Lancaster and Palmdale have more to offer in terms of shopping and entertainment, but the drive is about 45 minutes and the rents will be higher. Be more discerning if you go looking on the east side of either area, the crime tends to be higher.
Tehachapi is closer to an hour's drive.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 AM

9 posts, read 28,355 times
I would avoid Cal City at all if possible I could. Cal City doesn't offer much in the way of shopping or entertainment, years ago (and I mean YEARS) there was once a theater, a bowling alley, and I think an arcade but those are long gone. There's plenty of places to ride around on a Dirtbike or 4-wheeler or scout and there seems to be no end to the golf courses out here so that's another one. I would strongly reccomend somewhere more metropolitan, even if it means an hour/half hours commute. Do a lot of research and look before you decide on something.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 29,447 times
Default north edwards

I just bought a little house there in north edwards because I love it! It's gorgeous with desert views and peace! The small communities are very secure with the afb and the CHP right there. I am finding many people heading out there. It's a great location, within 30 minutes of everything. I can see myself retiring there. There's only 320 houses, but there's a mormon church, a 1st southern baptist church and a school with bus services. I LOVE IT!
Enjoy!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
Ditto on the advice to avoid Cal City. You'll have to drive somewhere else to buy groceries, etc., and I have heard it is not very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California