U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:00 PM

261 posts, read 392,984 times

Advertisements

My husband & I, along with 2 cats & 2 horses, currently live in Sedona, AZ, on 2 acres.

Wondering about renting horse property, doesn't have to be fancy, somewhere in the area from San Luis Obispo to Oxnard area ... any suggestions?

Would like to stay west of mountain range (out of central valley) for health reasons.

Can we find something for $1200 a month for 2A or more? If not, what would approximate cost be.

Also, I have heard the residents of Santa Barbara cannot get a slip in their own harbor as they have been sold for years. Are there any
harbors / marinas parallel to the areas I mentioned where one can get a slip for a boat reasonably.

I know, dream on ... I grew up in Minnesota, so I don't know costs of CA so well yet.

ThanX
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 PM

6,390 posts, read 8,975,434 times
1200 a month will get you a two bedroom apartment around here.

Acreage in Santa Barbara County is pricy. Tepusquet Canyon east of Santa Maria may work. Cuyama Valley is affordable, isolated, not much work.

Central San Luis Obispo County, around Creston can be affordable.

Most sailboat owners keep their boats in Morro Bay, or Port San Luis, or Oxnard, each has positives and negatives.

Why are you leaving Sedona?

Old 05-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
1200 a month will get you a two bedroom apartment around here.

Acreage in Santa Barbara County is pricy. Tepusquet Canyon east of Santa Maria may work. Cuyama Valley is affordable, isolated, not much work.

Central San Luis Obispo County, around Creston can be affordable.

Most sailboat owners keep their boats in Morro Bay, or Port San Luis, or Oxnard, each has positives and negatives.

Why are you leaving Sedona?
I love Sedona and I love where I work. I play tennis and can play year round here in Sedona. It is a place with wonderful energy. There are many things I really like about it here.

We lived in Flagstaff for 7 years and the winters just got to be too much. The winters here are down to 8 degrees at night and the summers up to 105 during July and August on occasion. We cut our own wood and one reason is that we were looking for a more temperate climate.

The other thing is that we miss water. I grew up in Minnesota (land of 10,000 named lakes and 10,000 unnamed ones, LOL) and my hubby is from upstate New York where there is lots of water.

The thing that got me a bit restless is that we rent in a house that was not fit to live in for a while ... we did all of the work while we paid rent. The owner would buy supplies, but only to the tune of $500 per month. The first 10 days we had to live in our RV as the roof was leaking and the carpet soaked. We are just having the roof done today, and it will be months before we "have in the budget" the back door which is not secure and leaks like crazy. They live across the ocean and don't answer my emails. After the work we have done to improve the property I am getting a bit nervous about our future here. Honestly, if this situation with the house hadn't been so stressful during the 7 months that we have been here, I probably wouldn't be so anxious to move.

We stay there for our horses as it is a perfect property for them. And of course we had no idea the extent of the property problems before we moved in. Our deposit check was cashed well before we moved in, so we felt committed because of the horses.

This is the only 2-A horse property in Sedona that was/is available and what we can afford. Otherwise we have to move 30 miles further into an even hotter and less attractive area with our 2 horses. That is not acceptable at this point.

I don't know CA area at all, except to have traveled to LA a number of summers to play tennis .... my hubby loves Santa Barbara but we know that area is too high-priced for us.

We are semi-retired and we have some choices.... we are retired figure skating coaches and can go back to teaching. I can get a r e license in CA also, but the biz has been down for a number of years and it will be a few more before it comes back. We don't mind driving, but we would like some place to live that is not polluted. My husband currently has handyman biz ... so he could do that and teach skating.

We moved from CT to AZ because of my asthma and they do a lot of controlled burns in Flagstaff which were terrible, and some of the smoke comes down to Sedona more often than we would like. But my asthma has improved a lot during the past few years and I am no longer on inhalers.
I am allergic to a lot of things here in Sedona which I was not in Flagstaff.

Wondering whether CA would have less allergens...

There are many nice reasons to live here in Sedona. If were financially a little more flush then perhaps there would be no pull to move to CA .... I feel like we don't have a lot of options here.

I am hoping to get out to CA later during the Summer or Fall to visit and was looking for some recommendations.

Thanks so much for the info you posted. Much appreciate it !

Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCat View Post
I love Sedona and I love where I work. I play tennis and can play year round here in Sedona. It is a place with wonderful energy. There are many things I really like about it here.

We lived in Flagstaff for 7 years and the winters just got to be too much. The winters here are down to 8 degrees at night and the summers up to 105 during July and August on occasion. We cut our own wood and one reason is that we were looking for a more temperate climate.

The affordable horse properties on the central coast would be inland, with temps similar to Sedona.

The other thing is that we miss water. I grew up in Minnesota (land of 10,000 named lakes and 10,000 unnamed ones, LOL) and my hubby is from upstate New York where there is lots of water.

There are few lakes on the central coast, there are several reservoirs, and there is horse property near Nacimiento, Santa Margarita and San Antonio reservoirs.

The ocean on the central coast is cold and rough. We stopped sailing when we moved here from Lake Tahoe. If the girls could not sail in swimsuits and anchor in coves to swim, as we did in Tahoe and Mexico, they weren't interested

I don't know CA area at all, except to have traveled to LA a number of summers to play tennis .... my hubby loves Santa Barbara but we know that area is too high-priced for us.

It is possible, just possible that there is property in Santa Ynez Valley that would work for you.

We are semi-retired and we have some choices.... we are retired figure skating coaches and can go back to teaching. I can get a r e license in CA also, but the biz has been down for a number of years and it will be a few more before it comes back. We don't mind driving, but we would like some place to live that is not polluted. My husband currently has handyman biz ... so he could do that and teach skating.

Ice is rare here, there is an ice skating group in Santa Barbara, ice in Paradise - the Greater Santa Barbara Ice Skating Association

There is ice in the Central Valley, Bakersfield, Fresno, Stockton, when my boy played ice hockey we drove all over heck and gone... San Diego to San Francisco to Las Vegas...

Wondering whether CA would have less allergens...

I cannot answer that, I just don't know.

There are many nice reasons to live here in Sedona. If you like Sedona you would like Ojai, same vibe.. and it is possible that there is property there, or nearby

I am hoping to get out to CA later during the Summer or Fall to visit and was looking for some recommendations.

Thanks so much for the info you posted. Much appreciate it !

Good luck.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,987,276 times
There are a few parts of the Santa Ynez which haven't been turned into vineyards and which can be used for live stock. That said, the boom in wine grapes over the last 20 years has meant land prices in the Santa Ynez have shot through the roof so even renting will be expensive.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:28 PM

It is sad,, my sister rented horse property for years in Santa Ynez, and when she went to buy, she had to go to central SLO county to find something she could afford, but, maybe there is something in Lompoc.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:35 AM

Wow, thank you everyone for the helpful tips. I'll let ya know where we look when we can get a vacation for an advanced preview.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 22,652 times
Having thought about this for a year and a half, the reason we would like to leave Sedona is July and August. Too hot. The other reason is that there is almost no water here. Oak Creek, almost all of it is privately owned so not much access. Thirdly, the utility costs. It costs us for a SMALL home about $250-275 a month for AC. Winters can get cold at night, about $200 a month to burn wood, or $300 a month for propane.

I am wondering if the cost of utilities would be reduced in exchange for something else. We are paying $1150 for a dump of a house on 2 really nice acres with big juniper trees and interesting land, some flat, some very hilly. But the contrast in temperatures would not be too bad if July and August were not near 110 where we live on a red dirt hill.

However I ran across a post that said it cost $900 to register a automobile brought into CA. My hubby has a 6 year old Chevy truck which I can't imagine is too bad. I have a 2007 BMW which I'm afraid I'm going to get hit very hard with fees. Wondering if I should sell that and buy something less pricey in CA.

We plan to take a vacation soon out to that area ... any suggestions for places to stay ? Thanks so much

Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimArizona View Post
Having thought about this for a year and a half, the reason we would like to leave Sedona is July and August. Too hot. The other reason is that there is almost no water here. Oak Creek, almost all of it is privately owned so not much access. Thirdly, the utility costs. It costs us for a SMALL home about $250-275 a month for AC. Winters can get cold at night, about $200 a month to burn wood, or $300 a month for propane.

There is a temperature dividing line along the coast, generally within 10 miles of the coast, it is seldom hot or cold, fairly moderate year round. This weekend is in the low 80's which is a bit high, for any time of the year. More than 10 miles from the coast, it is hotter in summer, cooler in winter.

I am wondering if the cost of utilities would be reduced in exchange for something else. We are paying $1150 for a dump of a house on 2 really nice acres with big juniper trees and interesting land, some flat, some very hilly. But the contrast in temperatures would not be too bad if July and August were not near 110 where we live on a red dirt hill.

In the coastal zone, heating is negligible, take the chill off in the morning, and that is about it. Our furnace broke a year ago, and we have not missed it. AC is non existent, it just isn't needed except for unusual spikes in temp. Inland more heating more cooling, it can get very hot, and sorta cold, sometimes down to 20. I was really surprised to see that well heads, pvc piping and pressure tanks are not insulated here. Back at our Truckee house, you would break your pipes by November if not insulated.

However I ran across a post that said it cost $900 to register a automobile brought into CA. My hubby has a 6 year old Chevy truck which I can't imagine is too bad. I have a 2007 BMW which I'm afraid I'm going to get hit very hard with fees. Wondering if I should sell that and buy something less pricey in CA.

When we moved to CA 5 years ago, we had 6 vehicles to register, I don't recollect being upset, 900 seems darned high. My 4 year old pick up costs about 400 to register each year.

We plan to take a vacation soon out to that area ... any suggestions for places to stay ? Thanks so much

I cannot speak for Ventura County, there are some good places to live, like Ojai, but most of it is too close to Los Angeles. Yes, you won't ever get a slip in Santa Barbara. The Channel Islands Marina is doable. There are people that live around San Luis that keep their boats there, even though it is about 150 miles away. So, sticking to what I know. Pismo Beach and Morro Bay have hotels with ocean/water views. Folks from other places like those. San Luis Obispo has a number of standard traveler hotel/motels which may be cheaper. The Apple Farm Hotel is popular, and of course there is the legendary Madonna Inn, very popular and unique.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 AM

11 posts, read 22,652 times
Awesome -- THANKS !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California