Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:56 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times

Advertisements

Agreed. I guess the problem is it seems to another one of the 23,000 annual posts looking for that perfect Mama-Bear place in a state with 37 million inhabitants that's not too big, not too small, is safe, has great schools, a good job market, an affordable housing market, a great climate and is near the beach. Some place like you see on television. A place that's wonderful, yet for some reason, not that many people want to live there. I don't have much helpful information there. How many times can we rehash the Reality Check sermon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Agreed. I guess the problem is it seems to another one of the 23,000 annual posts looking for that perfect Mama-Bear place in a state with 37 million inhabitants that's not too big, not too small, is safe, has great schools, a good job market, an affordable housing market, a great climate and is near the beach. Some place like you see on television. A place that's wonderful, yet for some reason, not that many people want to live there. I don't have much helpful information there. How many times can we rehash the Reality Check sermon?
Well, it's the thing that dreams and Hollywood are made. But with a readjustment of expectations it doesn't mean they couldn't make a life for themselves out here. It sounds like they definately need a change even if for a season in their lives. California, Colorado, Florida, Oregon, etc... all represent a place of new beginnings for many Americans. Of course no place is perfect and we all know CA has its share of problems as do other states. The biggest deterant for CA will be the cost of admission.

Derek

Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Gee biased much?
Given that I'm from SoCal originally, recently moved back to SoCal, and usually defend the good aspects of SoCal, I don't consider myself to have biases.

SoCal has many wonderful aspects in many different ways. However I would NOT recommend SoCal for raising a family. I wouldn't recommend the neighborhood I live in to raise a family, even though I generally like it. SoCal has positives. However it is not for families.

There are many wonderful places to raise kids in Northern California. The Monterey Peninsula is hardly the only one. It is just the furthest south of them.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, it's the thing that dreams and Hollywood are made. But with a readjustment of expectations it doesn't mean they couldn't make a life for themselves out here. It sounds like they definately need a change even if for a season in their lives. California, Colorado, Florida, Oregon, etc... all represent a place of new beginnings for many Americans. Of course no place is perfect and we all know CA has its share of problems as do other states. The biggest deterant for CA will be the cost of admission.

Derek
It is funny how so many people base their view of CA on Hollywood's portrayal. Where I live we get snow (lots this year), there are no palm trees, no ocean beaches, no smog and practically no crime. I live in California.

Fortunaly the cost of admission has dropped quite a bit. I just read that the median home price in my neck of the Sierras is now $160K. I think if you don't mind living away from the urban areas housing is now quite reasonable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Actually it's the teacher who's female in this case:

How easily we make assumptions about gender roles in occupations!
Funny. Both teachers and nurses tend to be feamale.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,953 times
I used to live in california 24 years ago. I am originally from oregon so there was au
tomatically a huge difference in the cost of living, not to mention I lived in santa barbara. That's when a studio apartment was about a grand a month to rent. I had the pleasure of seeing john travolta hanging out the back window of a limousine waving his arms around. It was absolutely beautiful there. East beach (the long beach with the row of palm trees) was an awesome place to go. Like I said housing was outrageous, the city water was less than desirable. it is my opinion that if you have big bucks, and desires the" palm tree scene", santa barbara is where you need to be. Awesome place!!

Old 05-31-2011, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,953 times
Oh, by the way...what I saw of Hollywood was less than impressive. There was garbage in the street and it reminded me of an old commercial subdivisionin a small town. I don't know what part of Hollywood we were in but from what I saw, it isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:40 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Maybe South Orange County? Most jobs for teachers are going to be near large cities. A suburb of San Diego. Maybe Sonoma county up north and commute to where's there a job. Maybe suburbs of Oakland.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
South Orange County is nice, safe, family-friendly and ocean-close, with plenty of hospitals, but it would be very difficult to find a teaching job here due to layoffs, and their budget would only allow for a townhouse (lots of people like them), not a SFR. Also, some people are put off by the look-alike new construction found in much of the area, but if you can get past that visual, then it’s a very nice place to live. Lake Forest would be a possibility if both partners could find good paying jobs.

San Diego County is another place to explore.

Last edited by pacific2; 06-01-2011 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
South Orange County is nice, safe, family-friendly and ocean-close, with plenty of hospitals, but it would be very difficult to find a teaching job here due to layoffs, and their budget would only allow for a townhouse (lots of people like them), not a SFR. Also, some people are put off by the look-alike new construction found in much of the area, but if you can get past that visual, then it’s a very nice place to live. Lake Forest would be a possibility if both partners could find good paying jobs.

San Diego County is another place to explore.
Yes there are lay offs, but you have a better chance. And she could perhaps commute to maybe some place that has an opening.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
I don't see why CA is the only conceivable state in the Union for a fresh start.

Someone care to clue me in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California