Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 11,731 times

Advertisements

I am interested in relocating from Orange County Southern CA to possibly San Luis Obispo (my 1st choice) or San Diego (my 2nd choice).

I am a 26 year old female journalist part time but also sell make up full time and I’m open to taking any job that I need to take to be able to pay the bills when moving. I can worry about finding my dream job later on! My husband is currently working in construction but has a degree in computer science. He is like me also willing to take a job that may not be in his field.

We are looking to leave Orange County mostly based on the rent/cost of living. We still want to live in an area with a beach breeze (not a far drive from the beach) and a safe area, but with a lower price tag if possible. We would like to be within a 30 minute drive to a beach but without paying $800,000 to $1 million+ for a 2 to 3 bedroom home. We have no problem renting an apartment or condo for the next few years until we are ready to buy a place and are sure we are in the right location.

We love San Luis Obispo because of the clean air and water, beautiful views, nice weather, wine country, cute downtown area, small town feel, friendly people, open spaces, European style alleys and streets, and the average rent is about $600 less per month than the OC beach areas. Our worry is that since it is a smaller-town kind of in the middle of nowhere compared to Orange County, that there is less jobs and less to do.

We also love San Diego for how much there is to do, great malls and night life, great weather, good public transportation, close to the beach, health food stores and restaurants, and it is also a few hundred less per month rent-wise (although not as cheap SLO). We love the upscale areas like Fashion Valley and La Jolla, being at the cove and seal watching. Our fear here is that it’s not as safe as Orange County, as we have read some threads about gang activity and this worries us.

Can you please list your suggestion for us: San Luis Obispo or San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,784,068 times
I can only offer the suggestion that you browse the California forum and use the forum search feature for San Luis Obispo. You'll find some older postings that might enlighten you as to the area. It seems that there really is only one real complaint about the area, but it's "lack of jobs" if you don't have one lined up there.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 9,938 times
I just moved away from the San Luis Obispo area, and loved it. It is definitely smaller than San Diego but it has a great vibe to it. I agree with atlantagreg though in that the main problem with that area is the lack of work (that's why we moved). Even though it's a smaller area there are health food stores like there are in SD and some really amazing restaurants. BUT I would have a job lined up first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California