Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
I'm born and raised in California. When I was in the military I couldn't wait to get back. We raised our children in California. I always wanted to spend the rest of my life in California but in the past 10 years that has changed. California is being destroyed by corrupt politicians and unions. Their actions have bankrupted our state and now the already high cost of living will skyrocket and the quality of living will plummet. Crime is getting much worse and once good neighborhoods are being overrun with illegal’s and gang activity. The only thing that has kept me here over the past decade is my job but even good paying jobs are leaving California. When my job ends in California I will pack up the truck and move to a better place.
Aside from the huge economic changes we're all familiar with and feeling the pain from, how much change is due to corrupt politicians and unions? Also, is it significantly better in other states? In other words, will the economic benefits to you moving exceed the cost and stress and losses of moving itself? Are the benefits of moving away from family and friends really worth it? That's a big move. I can sort of see moving for a job but if retired, what's the big benefit?

I thought (you wrote) housing prices were going to crash and that would necessarily lower the cost of living.

Crime has gotten much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Aside from the huge economic changes we're all familiar with and feeling the pain from, how much change is due to corrupt politicians and unions? Also, is it significantly better in other states? In other words, will the economic benefits to you moving exceed the cost and stress and losses of moving itself? Are the benefits of moving away from family and friends really worth it? That's a big move. I can sort of see moving for a job but if retired, what's the big benefit?

I thought (you wrote) housing prices were going to crash and that would necessarily lower the cost of living.

Crime has gotten much better.
Our state, counties and cities are in a very bad economic situation because of the corrupt politicians and unions and they continue their corrupt politics now, in a time when they should be cleaning up their past corrupt actions and fixing the problems. This will guarantee the tax payers will feel much more unnecessary and undeserved financial pain for decades to come. If crime has gotten better you can't tell by the local news and city crime statistics.

I have been doing research on potential locations to move. I use City-Data to get information from the locals. Yes, there are much better places where the cost of living is much lower and the quality of life is much better. I'm looking at beautiful recently built homes, over 3,000 sf on a 1+ acre lot for under 200K in a city with very low crime, very nice and friendly people ... and no state income tax!

My family is also leaving California.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
I have been doing research on potential locations to move. I use City-Data to get information from the locals. Yes, there are much better places where the cost of living is much lower and the quality of life is much better. I'm looking at beautiful recently built homes, over 3,000 sf on a 1+ acre lot for under 200K in a city with very low crime, very nice and friendly people ... and no state income tax!

I notice when people make posts like this, about these fabulous places they found to live, they rarely say where they are. I guess they don't want to invite comments about the negative aspects of their new homes while still being able to be critical of CA. It's interesting to me is all.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:34 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
I'm looking at beautiful recently built homes, over 3,000 sf on a 1+ acre lot for under 200K in a city with very low crime, very nice and friendly people ... and no state income tax!
Inquiring minds want to know.....

Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
States with no income tax are in red:

Old 05-27-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Our state, counties and cities are in a very bad economic situation because of the corrupt politicians and unions and they continue their corrupt politics now, in a time when they should be cleaning up their past corrupt actions and fixing the problems. This will guarantee the tax payers will feel much more unnecessary and undeserved financial pain for decades to come. If crime has gotten better you can't tell by the local news and city crime statistics.

So how big a deal is no income tax if a person is retired?

$66/sqft is cheaper than Huntsville, Alabama ($75-$120/sqft).

Are the politicians in your destination state less corrupt? Is a state's lack of unions going to make it worth it to move there (in retirement)?

It just seems like such a big move to make.

Crime down in Los Angeles, other parts of Southern California - latimes.com

Police: Overall crime rate down in Los Angeles | 89.3 KPCC

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...own-1950s.html

Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I notice when people make posts like this, about these fabulous places they found to live, they rarely say where they are. I guess they don't want to invite comments about the negative aspects of their new homes while still being able to be critical of CA. It's interesting to me is all.
Or perhaps they don't wish attract others to it for fear that it, too, will become Californicated.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:52 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:
I'm born and raised in California. When I was in the military I couldn't wait to get back. We raised our children in California. I always wanted to spend the rest of my life in California but in the past 10 years that has changed. California is being destroyed by corrupt politicians and unions. Their actions have bankrupted our state and now the already high cost of living will skyrocket and the quality of living will plummet. Crime is getting much worse and once good neighborhoods are being overrun with illegal’s and gang activity. The only thing that has kept me here over the past decade is my job but even good paying jobs are leaving California. When my job ends in California I will pack up the truck and move to a better place.

While I can mostly agree with the comment about corrupt politicians and greedy unions, where is the evidence for the rest of this?

People always spout off on this board about crime and gangs and illegals and act as though California is turning into the wild west.

The reality is most people throughout CA don't worry about dealing with crime an gangs in their normal day to day lives. Of course gangs do exist and bad things can happen anywhere, but really how many people are living in neighborhoods that have been taken over by gangs? Most areas where crime is bad today were areas that were never very good to begin with.

The root of many of California's problems can be blamed on the state's unfriendly business regulations and its inability to spend money frugally. It's pretty ridiculous that the state leaders can't agree on a budget that will get us out of the financial hole were in. I'm sure that if I got to look at a copy of the state's budget I could take a red sharpie and cross off loads of idiotic stuff that taxpayers are stuck wasting their money on and this state would probably have a budget surplus. There's really no logical reason why this state should be so financially upside down given how much revenue it actually takes in. It's like there's a black hole that sucks all the money away.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:54 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I'm looking at several areas. For example, Cookeville Tennessee is a location of interest.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 02:41 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Or perhaps they don't wish attract others to it for fear that it, too, will become Californicated.
Like SW Missouri?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California