Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 AM

296 posts, read 614,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
LOL! Seattle!
What I wrote is based upon my and others' experiences when Californios move to these more rural and "backward" areas and volubly mourn the lack of those chains I mentioned, shopping malls, "diversity" and all. If they miss them so much as to whine about it they really ought to return to the "Golden" State.
It's not even when moving to B.F.E.! I've lived in large urban cities oozing with culture ever since I left CA, and I still find myself always making critical comparisons. People who haven't lived there just don't know, they'll never understand what it is I left behind in CA. And it has only a little to do with the consumer qualities (which are in any case superior). More important is the beauty of the landscape and oftentimes in the people. It's worth paying the extra cost for, because as some have mentioned, there exists a much stronger economic flow in CA than most other places. And so yeah, I can hardly wait to get back home to the Golden State And there I will stay, until it falls into the ocean. Since I'll be left behind in the rapture, it'll be even better when that happens

I must say that I appreciate the positive vibe of Californians in this here thread btw, it says a lot considering the normal tone of reactionary kookiness that abounds on city-data. On top of that, given the less than ideal economy etc, it speaks volumes that Californians are nonetheless happy to be living where they are.

Last edited by scottfreez; 05-28-2011 at 06:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 AM

662 posts, read 1,282,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holls View Post
Looking for a place to raise my family. Want to stay in the west, but we keep filtering out all the western region. My husband is from Ca and has been trying to get me to move there for years. I have my doubts though. Is California even worth it with all the political problems, the high taxes and high cost of living, the public schools which I hear aren't that great (am I right?) and the fact that soon enough California will be swallowed up by the ocean. I think we all know that something is going to happen soon--look at what's happening in the rest of the country? Don't mean to be negative, but that's why I'm on the forum. I want to check it out and make sure it's the right decision for us for the long haul. Areas we're looking at are Santa Rosa, Monterey, and maybe Paso Robles.
Seriously? People still believe California will be swallowed by the ocean? You do realize that the myth was perpetrated by people without an understanding of how plate tectonics work.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Money.. or shall I say someone else's money can buy you lots of things including the ability to ffw and front run the natural progression of markets.... It can until gravity, natural laws, and the debt catch up to you.

Ask Greece/Spain how things are working out for them

sytsew_27-5-2011_29web | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/acampadabcnfoto/5764466319/in/set-72157626817385780/lightbox/ - broken link)

The intrusion is taxation ... That taxation allows California to trailblaze.. Sometimes down the right paths.. Oft down the wrong and at the expense of its residents... And too bad people don't get to decide more ... Think for themselves ... But this is California .. your just a passenger along for a bumpy ride dictated by sometimes corrupt... sometimes just dumb politicians. Some people are just fine w/ that (the pros outweight the cons in their minds) and more power to them to be happy w/ that.

.. For the sun rises everyday.. The weather beautiful ... The geography amazing from hill to valley.. you have a place to lay your head and food on the table ... Some just look beyond the issues ... and don't care.

Until their parks are shut down.. illegals have overrun the place.. opportunity is fleeting... unemployment high as ever... your electric bill is rising to pay for someone else's .. your car registration fees raising to pay for the trail blazing.. your gas prices rising.. food prices rising .... K-12 education sucking ... Tuition rising 32% in colleges then another 8% a year for 5 more years ... $789 parcel taxes... maybe even property taxes increasing ......

But wait ... The beauty ... ohhhh the beauty :

LOL .. I guess people at first beat their gums... pound sand about the corruption/waste and taxation... and they just come to realize no one cares... Why fight for people who don't care?
People are happy ...
So, those who fight and speak out... they come to accept this and understand its a big country .... Where one can find a place that makes them equally as happy and more in control of the fruits of their labors. To some this is important.. To others, they don't care. They feel their job will always be around ... and so as they live pay check to pay check .. they find comfort only in the beautiful weather...

That's fine....

It's America. There's a place for everyone. For some, the only place for them is here and there is no fact... no opinion ... no issue to large .. no corruption .. no downside ...you can offer to compel them to care. You come to accept this at some point... The voices of complaints die .. the voices pointing out the corruption die.... the voices calling for reform.. change die .. and what remains are those who don't care much and the political powers ruling over them... and don't feel sorry for them.. For they are happy w/ this .. have been for some time. So, let them be. The world is a big place and so is the U.S
Your post made it seem like all Californians are owned by the government, yes the taxes are higher there but not nearly in comparison with Spain and Greece. California has some major problems but your description of people not caring until the parks close down... etc, darn you make it seem like the state is becoming Stalin's Soviet Russia with all that negativity. Obviously some people wanted higher taxes or Brown would have never been elected, although I didn't vote for him

People, California is still a wonderful place to live, so if you have the budget and want to move there. Go for it! Just don't go without a high enough budget or you won't enjoy yourself.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:49 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
Your post made it seem like all Californians are owned by the government, yes the taxes are higher there but not nearly in comparison with Spain and Greece. California has some major problems but your description of people not caring until the parks close down... etc, darn you make it seem like the state is becoming Stalin's Soviet Russia with all that negativity. Obviously some people wanted higher taxes or Brown would have never been elected, although I didn't vote for him

People, California is still a wonderful place to live, so if you have the budget and want to move there. Go for it! Just don't go without a high enough budget or you won't enjoy yourself.
Some people live in the past, some live day by day and some look ahead. I'm one of those look ahead types and it's not hard to get good information to forecast if you look in the right places. I think yeahthatguy is another "look ahead" type and has a good read on our future. In a nutshell, our economy is collapsing and the characterization "Stalin's Soviet Russia" might not be that far off the mark.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Some people live in the past, some live day by day and some look ahead. I'm one of those look ahead types and it's not hard to get good information to forecast if you look in the right places. I think yeahthatguy is another "look ahead" type and has a good read on our future. In a nutshell, our economy is collapsing and the characterization "Stalin's Soviet Russia" might not be that far off the mark.
Don, while I grew up in the same area as you did and also work in aerospace as others on here, I don't see things as grim for CA in comparison to other states.

Charles and I both moved out of CA at one point for greener pastures, lived in other states, then eventually moved back to CA. While other places are definately cheaper, CA still offers many Americans more than these other states ever could in terms of overall quality of life.

Bottom line is there is no one right answer for eveyone. It's very dependant based upon on what one is really looking for. And sometimes you won't know until you give that new place a try, nothing wrong with that. I don't regret leaving CA for greener pastures to CO. But I enjoyed returned to CA even more.

The reality is there will never be the gloom and doom, fall into the ocean California scenarios which many predict here on their way out to other seemingly safer places in America. By this I mean not impacting the rest of the nation and world. California is the most populous state in the nation and it's economy is the eighth largest in the world. So escaping to smaller states such as AZ, KY, OK, TN, etc... is not really going to matter much if CA becomes this wasteland which some predict upon departure. As goes CA there goes the nation. It is America in terms of the largest portion of our nations wealth and population.

From a more balanced perspective (ie - CA not falling into the ocean/off the cliff, etc...) other states will offer more affordablility with a whole host of new negatives which some learn to eventually accept. While others decide the cheaper living is really not worth the trade off. But there is no Shangri La which will be immune from all economic woes, other catastrophies, etc... Just look at the devastation occuring right now in many Midwestern and Southern states due floods, tornadoes, etc... death tolls are higher this year due to weather related catastrophies than in many years. There is no perfect place at least on this planet. Just those which one prefers to live in when considering all the pros/cons.

Its always easier to leave CA to other places than return IMO. Since the cost of admission is higher and competition for jobs stiffer this will always be the case. There are many who have left and are now trying to return but simply can't. I personally know ppl who have left and then tried to return but couldn't after leaving jobs, etc... in CA for greener pastures elsewhere. On the flipside I know those who moved to the South or Midwest and seem to like it all things considered. Though they have come to realize with a new set of pros/cons that its no Shangri La, unless selling real estate or something similar. So it really depends on the individual and their family (immediate as well as extended) = very subjective.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-28-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 12:33 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Rapture? whaaaaaaaaa-haaaaaa. trust me, I'm not that type of person. I was just making a funny about Ca being swallowed up by the ocean.
Then why did you follow that funny with this: "I think we all know that something is going to happen soon--look at what's happening in the rest of the country?"

Old 05-28-2011, 12:45 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Don, while I grew up in the same area as you did and also work in aerospace as others on here, I don't see things as grim for CA in comparison to other states.

Charles and I both moved out of CA at one point for greener pastures, lived in other states, then eventually moved back to CA. While other places are definately cheaper, CA still offers many Americans more than these other states ever could in terms of overall quality of life.

Bottom line is there is no one right answer for eveyone. It's very dependant based upon on what one is really looking for. And sometimes you won't know until you give that new place a try, nothing wrong with that. I don't regret leaving CA for greener pastures to CO. But I enjoyed returned to CA even more.

The reality is there will never be the gloom and doom, fall into the ocean California scenarios which many predict here on their way out to other seemingly safer places in America. By this I mean not impacting the rest of the nation and world. California is the most populous state in the nation and it's economy is the eighth largest in the world. So escaping to smaller states such as AZ, KY, OK, TN, etc... is not really going to matter much if CA becomes this wasteland which some predict upon departure. As goes CA there goes the nation. It is America in terms of the largest portion of our nations wealth and population.

From a more balanced perspective (ie - CA not falling into the ocean/off the cliff, etc...) other states will offer more affordablility with a whole host of new negatives which some learn to eventually accept. While others decide the cheaper living is really not worth the trade off. But there is no Shangri La which will be immune from all economic woes, other catastrophies, etc... Just look at the devastation occuring right now in many Midwestern and Southern states due floods, tornadoes, etc... death tolls are higher this year due to weather related catastrophies than in many years. There is no perfect place at least on this planet. Just those which one prefers to live in when considering all the pros/cons.

Its always easier to leave CA to other places than return IMO. Since the cost of admission is higher and competition for jobs stiffer this will always be the case. There are many who have left and are now trying to return but simply can't. I personally know ppl who have left and then tried to return but couldn't after leaving jobs, etc... in CA for greener pastures elsewhere. On the flipside I know those who moved to the South or Midwest and seem to like it all things considered. Though they have come to realize with a new set of pros/cons that its no Shangri La, unless selling real estate or something similar. So it really depends on the individual and their family (immediate as well as extended) = very subjective.

Derek
I’m not saying only California will experience much tougher times, it will be throughout the USA when the worse part hits. Due to California politics and the current state of its economy I think California will experience more severe economic and social conditions than some of the other states.

I’m nearing the end of my primary working life with 34 years in aerospace but I was hoping to squeeze a few more years before retirement. Due to the economy and current administration I might not get that choice. So my interest in leaving California is more future affordability and quality of life in my retirement years.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:53 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Looking for a place to raise my family. Want to stay in the west, but we keep filtering out all the western region. My husband is from Ca and has been trying to get me to move there for years. I have my doubts though. Is California even worth it with all the political problems, the high taxes and high cost of living, the public schools which I hear aren't that great (am I right?) and the fact that soon enough California will be swallowed up by the ocean. I think we all know that something is going to happen soon--look at what's happening in the rest of the country? Don't mean to be negative, but that's why I'm on the forum. I want to check it out and make sure it's the right decision for us for the long haul. Areas we're looking at are Santa Rosa, Monterey, and maybe Paso Robles.
To your original question I would say CA can be a great place to raise a family. It really depends most of all on you and what your family are looking for. I have family in Santa Rosa with children who love the area. And we really enjoy raising our children in the Monterey Bay area.

CA can have some of the best and worst public schools like most states depending on the school district you live in. If you get into a good district the schools are fine. Check out this map and zoom into the areas in question to get a better idea: California School Performance Maps.

We actually left CA for more affordable living at one point, only to discover over time that CA was the best place for our family. We came to realize that no place is perfect but rather a unique set of pros/cons. So we moved back with eyes wide open to our favorite part of the state and couldn't be happier with our decision.

I recommend you take most things on this forum with a grain of salt as you will find more Californians here who are planning to move. So they will tell you or oneone else they are crazy to move to CA. Keep in mind CA is still the #1 state of choice for all Americans for a reason. And most enjoying the state are too busy enjoying the great outdoors to be participatiing on the forums. We're taking our kids to beach soon as its a gorgeous day out. Only you know what is best for your family and will meet your requirements. You have to weigh each areas pros/cons soberly vs. through rose colored glasses. Then do a lot of research and visit them yourselves before moving. This applies to any new location - due diligence on your part is key.

My 2c,

Derek

Old 05-28-2011, 02:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I recommend you take most things on this forum with a grain of salt as you will find more Californians here who are planning to move. So they will tell you or oneone else they are crazy to move to CA.
Yeah, they tend to drown out those of us who dearly love this place with their endless complaints. Just f'in move already. Holy ****. It ain't rocket science.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post

I simply did a comparison of sorts ... Showing how.. even w/ unemployment amongst the youth being around 28% .. The country being basically being broke.. Economic opportunity non-existent .. public sector strangling the private . taxes high ... People rioting in the streets beneath them.. How some people can still continue to look beyond the issues and see what they want .

I pointed out this current reality in spain to draw out realities here. People don't care ... And, eventually when they don't, and they lash out at people who do ... The people who do simply stop caring too .. and leave.. and what is left is just people who praise California ... want higher taxes... ignore corruption/waste from government... and what results is more and more until it starts to threaten the weight that the natural beauty has....

California is the wonderful place it is because nature carved out this beautiful place. Not a politician .... People easily forget this in an attempt to ignore the issues this state has... and people are growing tired of speaking on behalf of the people who don't care... they are leaving and going to places where people are involved/concerned and it has real impacts...

I look into the future ... Its a skill I have and one that I have to ensure is accurate to make money in markets ... California is by no means that way now but it (like the U.S if its not careful) is headed down a path of ruin. This is most carefully being crafted by those who don't care, aren't educated enough on the issues to care properly, and the others who feel we should progress/change just for the sake of doing so w/ no regard to cost.

If this recession has taught anyone anything, it is that no job is safe...
However, the risk of such is something that is still not often appreciated.
Long term thinking is something that is not often conducted. Human beings in general just aren't.

The issues facing this state have been pointed out many times...

A pool that is 6 feet deep can be enjoyed just as much as one that is 10 feet ... Sometimes people just don't see it that way and feel they can't live w/o the extra 4 feet.
w/ them being happy w/ the extra (perceived) 4 feet and what it costs .. it becomes hard for someone to tell them .. the pool guy actually charged them for 8 extra feet and only gave them 2 more extra ....

Life is dynamic and ever changing .. often times changing directions only after long progressions ... No one questions how the roots of government investment during WWII in the valley resulted in vc capital coming.. innovation.. and then a beautiful private sector taking root ... no one questions this progression .. but if you point out the reverse... how small seeds of waste/overtaxation/etc can grow and cause an opposite progression... people throw their hands in the air and cry impossibility.

'If you have the budget ...... can afford the lunacy'... move here .. shut your mouth and be happy ... This is the very mindset a pointed out when i drew comparison to spain/greece.. and there is no reason to care about people like this getting ripped off ... and if you care, there is no reason for you to continue to reside in a place that does rip people off... or stay and try to convince the masses of people that they should fight to change it.

So california is worth it ...to some ... and if you think it is .. move here... shut your mouth and be happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California