Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:10 AM

144 posts, read 635,611 times

Advertisements

I just spent 4 months up there for work. The place is beautiful. By far some of the most awesome places I've ever seen. As mentioned, the Smith River, the Redwoods, the CA and OR coastlines, absolutely unreal. Nature at its best.

The drawbacks. The place is dead. For a coastal town, it's dead. There's no easy way to get there. I commuted up there every weekend from Sacramento and had to drive up to Grants Pass, OR and shoot down 199 just to get there with a mild headache. There is no easy way in or out. Jobs are minimal unless work sends you there and they pay you a wage from somewhere else. Apartments are hard to comeby as well. I spent 4 months living at the Best Western up there. Not a whole lot going on. But a great place in my book. Easy way of life. Most of the people were really friendly. Oregon is miles away. If the jobs were better and there was more accessability of flying in and out of there, I'd move there in a heartbeat. If you are in your 20s looking for a scene, it's not the place. Great place to raise a family and avoid the BS other parts of CA have. And yes, it rains like I've never seen up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 AM

174 posts, read 588,934 times
Default crime?

Just curious, the crime stats for Crescent City seem pretty high. Anyone care to comment on that?

Old 12-28-2006, 08:13 PM

852 posts, read 3,800,766 times
Regarding crime there, the nearby maximum security prison is factor. Good jobs are tough to come by, leading to a sense of economic desperation. The weather can be depressing. There's an anti-authority element in the area.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:46 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,449,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Just curious, the crime stats for Crescent City seem pretty high. Anyone care to comment on that?
I agree with what LLAGS said about the anti-authoritarian sentiment along the Klamath Coast. Because it has historically had inexpensive real estate and a certain amount of economic depression, CC has had some problems with meth-related crimes in past years which seem to now be on the down-swing. As the cost of coastal property continues to rise, the lowlife contigent is usually the first layer of citizenry to get priced out and move away. Also, remember that in a small town, it doesn't take too many crimes to grossly inflate the per capita rate of crime.

It should also be noted that the citi-data site uses the sky cover data of Medford, OR -- a much sunnier and drier inland city -- for the Clear and Cloudy Days chart for Crescent City. The chart for Newport, OR gives a much more accurate approximation for CC.

One of the reasons that CC isn't that popular is because Brookings, OR is just 28 miles to the north. It is a little bit sunnier and warmer than CC, there is no sales tax, property taxes are lower, crime rates are way lower, there is more community spirit and the quality of life is just all-around more preferable. Quite a few people who work in CC choose to live in Brookings and commute to work rather than live in CC.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:32 AM

174 posts, read 588,934 times
Thanks very much. Great info as always.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:58 PM

20 posts, read 79,255 times
Any comments on Gasquet area? Also, what is summer weather like in the area? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:16 PM

144 posts, read 635,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeizeTheJourney View Post
Any comments on Gasquet area? Also, what is summer weather like in the area? Thanks in advance.
Gasquet is really nice. About as quiet as it will get. Further in along Route 199, a bit warmer than the coast. The Smith River is spectacular. I drove through that town everyday for about 4 months and wish I had a house there. Simple living at its best!

Old 01-06-2007, 12:04 AM

20 posts, read 79,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroyboy View Post
Gasquet is really nice. About as quiet as it will get. Further in along Route 199, a bit warmer than the coast. The Smith River is spectacular. I drove through that town everyday for about 4 months and wish I had a house there. Simple living at its best!
Thanks... I'm heading there mid-next week to look at property.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:30 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,558,307 times
Hi,just wondered about the school quiality in CC and Eureka.I know that Calif has had a real problam with its school system as well as Oregon.I wondered if Brrokings and Eureka,CC has escaped the bad rap and problams.Thanks

Old 01-06-2007, 01:35 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,449,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Hi,just wondered about the school quiality in CC and Eureka.I know that Calif has had a real problam with its school system as well as Oregon.I wondered if Brrokings and Eureka,CC has escaped the bad rap and problams.Thanks
I would say NO with regard to Brookings. Northern areas in Oregon have good schools. Perhaps Arcata, CA has good schools; it is an educational community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California