Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:38 PM

720 posts, read 689,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsbosley View Post
Check out this case Orozco v. Casimiro - it is case law, where the california court did indeed rule that residential late fees are illegal. Even if the Landlord has to do extra paper work or make a second run to the bank, that is hardly substantial damages.
After reading the court opinion, it was made very clear that the Appellant won solely based on the evidence for his case. This case does not imply that no landlord is forbidden from charging late fees. In fact it specifically stated ..

A landlord is not limited to interest as damages as a consequence of the late payment of money. He is also entitled to "`"administrative costs reasonably 178*178 related to collecting and accounting for"'" late payments.

with case law to back this up.

The big issue is actually what is "reasonable" to charge. Most California Associations agree that a charge between %.00 and 10.00 is reasonable. This has now sparked my interest, off to Westlaw....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,358 times
I have never been late for almost two years and because of the holiday the office was closed on the fifth. The money order was made out on time and all- the rental agency explained that the drop box is available. it was explained to me that I will now be charged a late fee of %10 percent/rent and that I should have dropped my money order in the box so that it was in there when she opened. Yes I could have paid it on the first or even the second- but the fact that office doors are closed how can I be expected to drop a money order (which is same as cash). My payment history really means nothing to them, and I plan on leaving in the next few months. I am more upset because I cannot pay cash to them, and they gave me a 3 day pay or quit notice with the reciept---huh? I am confused on that. I paid it and here I am now on this board.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,234 times
I would love to sue the owner of this building. They charge me late fees after a few days and if my check boings , which happens, maybe once a year or so, I'm not aloud to write one for six months. Another $50.00 late fee, coming up. should I just not pay it?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,568,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchala View Post
I would love to sue the owner of this building. They charge me late fees after a few days and if my check boings , which happens, maybe once a year or so, I'm not aloud to write one for six months. Another $50.00 late fee, coming up. should I just not pay it?
Seriously? You want to sue the owner of your building when YOU write a bad check? That seems a little odd.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,035,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchala View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Seriously? You want to sue the owner of your building when YOU write a bad check? That seems a little odd.
Really! That's cheeky of satchala to even consider that. Instead, he/she should get a brain and learn personal finance management. One lesson is to not write NSF checks. Another is to manage your spending so that you have enough left to pay your rental by the due date.

Pay it.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,568,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Really! That's cheeky of satchala to even consider that. Instead, he/she should get a brain and learn personal finance management. One lesson is to not write NSF checks. Another is to manage your spending so that you have enough left to pay your rental by the due date.

Pay it.
Yep! It's the same amount each month...you know when it's due... why is this such a difficult concept to some?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,651 times
Default Late payment

My rental agreement states you have until the 5th of each month to pay the rent before it is late. Only problem with that is he lives several hundred miles away and in a remote location so even regular mail may take 3-5 days. My rent is only $750, but he charges $50 late fee if the money isnt in his hand before the 5th, and $50 for each day after that that it is late. Is this legal?

Old 06-07-2012, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,590 times
but then we would fall under the same cycle, "you dont know why they couldn't pay their rent?"
would a late fee be more reasonable than the whole evicton process?
a late fee doesn't affect your elibility to rent elsewhere an eviction on the other had does for 7 years, and the places that do except evictions are the places no one to live in.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,371,256 times
WOW! Lotsa whining in this five-year old thread about heartless landlords. I'm not one. We own our home, but if we were landlords, you'd better believe we'd expect the rent to be paid on time if, for no other reason, than we may have a mortgage on the property which also has a "by" requirement for payment.

I know times are tough but it's up to the renters to abide by the provisions of their agreement/lease. If necessary, shift/re-work your budget to ensure that your payment can be made on time.

I'm not unsympathetic - been there (broke) - done that - but in the end, you are not dealing from a position of strength if you don't abide by the rental requirements.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:01 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,963,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnddbbie View Post
My rental agreement states you have until the 5th of each month to pay the rent before it is late. Only problem with that is he lives several hundred miles away and in a remote location so even regular mail may take 3-5 days. My rent is only $750, but he charges $50 late fee if the money isnt in his hand before the 5th, and $50 for each day after that that it is late. Is this legal?
http://www.ehow.com/info_7757880_cal...late-fees.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California