Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,453 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering what are some good areas to live in California for a young guy. Let's say me and either 2 or 3 other guys would be living out there together and we would probably be willing to pay around $800 to $1,000 at the very most a person per month but the lower the rent the better. We all are majoring in business (either Finance or Accounting) so job opportunities are a big plus. Also, looking for the safest place possible and preferably a beach city. Is there any places that fit all this criteria?

We are from South Carolina, but one guy's family lives in California so he lives there during the summer and we have all visited there at least once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:25 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
stockton is a nice area but you would probably like compton more as it has a little better economy.
good luck!

Old 06-19-2011, 02:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Redfish is being snarky because of our high unemployment rate which means you aren't going to be able to pick and choose where you live. IF you insist on moving here, with our 12% unemployment rate, better head for LA where you will at least be able to find SOMETHING, just maybe not a job that requires college. Do your research before you move and be flexible.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_SC View Post
I'm just wondering what are some good areas to live in California for a young guy. Let's say me and either 2 or 3 other guys would be living out there together and we would probably be willing to pay around $800 to $1,000 at the very most a person per month but the lower the rent the better. We all are majoring in business (either Finance or Accounting) so job opportunities are a big plus. Also, looking for the safest place possible and preferably a beach city. Is there any places that fit all this criteria?

We are from South Carolina, but one guy's family lives in California so he lives there during the summer and we have all visited there at least once.
Read one of the earlier posts: Accounting jobs are hard to find in Ca these days, there is an overabundane of Accountants. As for the best place to live and your housing allowance, you should be able to find something that would be nice and in a good area, but first you will need to find the jobs, that's the hard part.

Nita

Old 09-14-2015, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 5,400 times
Default Try San Diego

Not sure about the job market, but San Diego is beautiful and peaceful with gorgeous beaches. It's expensive though like all CA coastal cities. With the two universities and the naval base the economy is pretty good.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:34 PM

148 posts, read 136,458 times
San Luis Obispo if you want cheap rent since there is Cal Poly there. However, nonfarming jobs are dismal there. There are more jobs in the Bay Area but housing is terrible over there.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:53 PM

75 posts, read 108,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_SC View Post

Coming from a low-cost, coastal state like South Carolina and given the fact you're all business majors, I urge you to investigate Cal State-Long Beach, more commonly and affectionately known as "Long Beach State" (the previous official name of the university). In my opinion, LBSU is one of the best value CSU's in terms of strength of academic programs, location and campus facilities and aesthetics. Tuition is dirt-cheap at the CSU's, even for out-of-state students.

The job market in and around Long Beach is much stronger than in, say, San Diego. A lot of this is due to Long Beach's positioning at the crossroads of the major jobs centers of north and central Orange County and the South Bay of Los Angeles and, to a lesser extent, Downtown Los Angeles and the Westside. However, there are plenty of business-related professional opportunities to be had in Long Beach.

I have a close friend who recently graduated from LBSU with a degree in Accounting and now works for an accounting firm in Irvine. Most of the Big Four firms maintain their Los Angeles offices in Downtown and their Orange County offices in Costa Mesa or Irvine. Costa Mesa and Irvine are all within very reasonable commuting distance to Long Beach (much better to commute south of Long Beach on the 405 vs. north).

Furthermore, Long Beach has a long, highly accessible coastline. There are plenty of water-related activities to be enjoyed in the area. It's the warmest beach on the West Coast given its south-facing location east of the Palos Verdes peninsula. It's geographically and culturally at the crossroads of Los Angeles and Orange County and has a laid-back, casual vibe. Most importantly, rent is very reasonable given the fact it's a coastal city. Just avoid the area west of Redondo and north of 7th.

I hope this helps! Direct message me if you'd like more info on Long Beach and/or LBSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California