Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 04:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Yes mr510, i could say, dare i say? that there is no such thing as an "ex" hippie.
Either you were or you weren't (as in just one of many, many culturally driven sheeple that ultimately sold out and bought into the dominant culture paradigm).
Take that lightly as i'm not intending to offend ... in any deep way.
No offense taken. It was fun for a time, but what started my path away from hippiedom was when I moved from San Franscisco to the Mendo coast, In the City, the hippies I associated with were deep thinkers and did dope, LSD, etc. to expand their minds and connect with God/the Cosmic stuff. The were into changing society for the better. It was a path worth following.

The hippies of the Mendo coast were basically stoners, who had no interest in working or bettering society. Just hang out and get stoned. Communal living was miserable as 80% of the folk just wanted someone else to do the cleaning and other chores. They hated the Man, but most collected some sort of welfare. I got turned off to the whole thing.

And so here I am, living in a log house in the Sierras. Not a bad life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 04:46 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
No offense taken. It was fun for a time, but what started my path away from hippiedom was when I moved from San Franscisco to the Mendo coast, In the City, the hippies I associated with were deep thinkers and did dope, LSD, etc. to expand their minds and connect with God/the Cosmic stuff. The were into changing society for the better. It was a path worth following.

The hippies of the Mendo coast were basically stoners, who had no interest in working or bettering society. Just hang out and get stoned. Communal living was miserable as 80% of the folk just wanted someone else to do the cleaning and other chores. They hated the Man, but most collected some sort of welfare. I got turned off to the whole thing.

And so here I am, living in a log house in the Sierras. Not a bad life.
Well it sounds to me like you were and are the real deal and were connected with the essence of the time and "movement".
That's what counts.
Labels are troublesome.
And there's always the shadow side and the stronger the light, the bigger and more intense is that shadow.
No, a log house in the Sierra (i was born in 'em) is not a bad life at all and one i wouldn't mind having myself if i wasn't so attached to being on the coast.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:23 PM

47 posts, read 112,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGardener555 View Post
Well it's good that you know what you want in life and you've found who you really are now.

Sounds to me like you just dabbled in being a hippie to be cool, and you were just joining in on the bandwagon. But some people live it as a lifestyle and it's not about "being cool", and their philosophies resonate in that direction on a deep level. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't even look like a hippie now. I just love the live and let live attitude, the environmentalism, the localization movement, the seperation from federal government power, and other aspects of it. There's lots of aspects of it that go beyond being cool and doing drugs.

Go down to South Asia and lots of folks out there are living "hippie" lives, but that's just much more of the mainstream culture out there. Cultural relativism is an interesting thing to consider.

Humboldt actually does have lots of conservative folks, especially in Fortuna and Mckinleyville. Lots of logger/lumberjack types.
Could not have said it better!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:59 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
I really like Weaverville. It may be isolated, but its pretty and is more like your typical NorCal mountain town (mix of every walk of life - loggers, forestry service folks, retirees, hippies, small business people). I hate one-sided communities at either end of the political spectrum. They're boring.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,262,281 times
I'm surprised people think Menodcino is not isolated. There are only 1000 people there, and it's several hours even from the Bay Area (maybe only 2 hours from Santa Rosa in the far northern part of the wine country, but I'd consider that isolated).

Old 07-03-2011, 11:13 PM

68 posts, read 681,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I'm surprised people think Menodcino is not isolated. There are only 1000 people there, and it's several hours even from the Bay Area (maybe only 2 hours from Santa Rosa in the far northern part of the wine country, but I'd consider that isolated).
When people say Mendocino they are usually talking about the county, not the town.

It is pretty isolated and country in Mendocino County. But compared to Trinity and Humboldt it's much more connected to the Bay Area culturally and geographically.

All depends on what you're comparing it to.

Last edited by GreenGardener555; 07-03-2011 at 11:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California