Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 PM

68 posts, read 677,018 times

Advertisements

Which county would you want to live in? how do they compare?

Living costs?
Politics?
Taxes?
Building codes and zoning laws?
Other things?

I know that Humboldt is extremely liberal and full of hippie towns. Is Mendocino and Trinity Counties like that too?

It looks to me like Mendocino is more expensive than the others. Maybe Trinity is a bit more conservative?

Feedback is more than welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,238,188 times
I like Mendo. It's less dominated by weed growing than Humboldt (I realize it exists but less), is less politically divided than Humboldt, and is more convenient than Trinity. Ukiah is a good hub and the several smaller towns have lots of character.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,614,982 times
Trinity is isolated and there is NOTHING there. They are constantly in danger of losing their (one) hospital.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,444,548 times
Depends what you want.

Tell us.

When I lived in Mendo County, I considered moving to the Weaverville area.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:27 PM

18,945 posts, read 32,337,644 times
Mendo because it's not nearly as isolated as the other two and your close to lots of wineries and lakes. And I'm mainly speaking about the area around Ukiah versus Ft Bragg or somewhere farther north.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,238,188 times
Oh how could I forget the MOST IMPORTANT thing in favor of Mendo ...

Boontling!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Actually I love Humboldt and want to go there. I love the hippie culture and the isolation. I love the localization movements going on there.

Mendocino strikes me as a bit more "mainstream" than Humboldt. Am I right on that? I never seriously considered living in Mendo because it looks very expensive and I want a place that's more isolated and "away fom it all".

Trinity does look very, very small and rural. Maybe too much. But that can be a really good thing. I want to live rural. But does Trinity have the same kind of hippie culture as Humboldt?

I guess I'll just have to see for myself.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,444,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGardener555 View Post
Actually I love Humboldt and want to go there. I love the hippie culture and the isolation. I love the localization movements going on there.

Mendocino strikes me as a bit more "mainstream" than Humboldt. Am I right on that? I never seriously considered living in Mendo because it looks very expensive and I want a place that's more isolated and "away fom it all".

Trinity does look very, very small and rural. Maybe too much. But that can be a really good thing. I want to live rural. But does Trinity have the same kind of hippie culture as Humboldt?

I guess I'll just have to see for myself.
If Hippie culture is what you are after, Humbolt is the place.

Truth be told, as an ex hippie (from the late 60s) I want nothing to do with it. I hate the entire hippie culture. Humbolt totaly sucks IMO. Garberville and Arcata are the last places I would want to live. Gads! New Age crap! Dope growers! Counter Culture as the majority view. Totally off the grid culturally and socially. Could work for you.

See... I am a middle class Christian fellow. Been there, done it and want no part of it. Part of my past. Was fun, but I wasted 10 years being "cool". So take my post as a back-handed recomendation.

Trinity is not so much. More of a reguler mix; redneck, hippie and middle of the road folk. But........if you value the wildness of Wilderness and the joy of being able to wander on Public Land. Enjoy small tight communities, Trinity is your ticket. That is why I considered it back in the day. YMMV Hasn't changed much in the last 20 years.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If Hippie culture is what you are after, Humbolt is the place.

Truth be told, as an ex hippie (from the late 60s) I want nothing to do with it. I hate the entire hippie culture. Humbolt totaly sucks IMO. Garberville and Arcata are the last places I would want to live. Gads! New Age crap! Dope growers! Counter Culture as the majority view. Totally off the grid culturally and socially. Could work for you.

See... I am a middle class Christian fellow. Been there, done it and want no part of it. Part of my past. Was fun, but I wasted 10 years being "cool". So take my post as a back-handed recomendation.

Trinity is not so much. More of a reguler mix; redneck, hippie and middle of the road folk. But........if you value the wildness of Wilderness and the joy of being able to wander on Public Land. Enjoy small tight communities, Trinity is your ticket. That is why I considered it back in the day. YMMV Hasn't changed much in the last 20 years.
Well it's good that you know what you want in life and you've found who you really are now.

Sounds to me like you just dabbled in being a hippie to be cool, and you were just joining in on the bandwagon. But some people live it as a lifestyle and it's not about "being cool", and their philosophies resonate in that direction on a deep level. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't even look like a hippie now. I just love the live and let live attitude, the environmentalism, the localization movement, the seperation from federal government power, and other aspects of it. There's lots of aspects of it that go beyond being cool and doing drugs.

Go down to South Asia and lots of folks out there are living "hippie" lives, but that's just much more of the mainstream culture out there. Cultural relativism is an interesting thing to consider.

Humboldt actually does have lots of conservative folks, especially in Fortuna and Mckinleyville. Lots of logger/lumberjack types.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,820,933 times
Yes mr510, i could say, dare i say? that there is no such thing as an "ex" hippie.
Either you were or you weren't (as in just one of many, many culturally driven sheeple that ultimately sold out and bought into the dominant culture paradigm).
Take that lightly as i'm not intending to offend ... in any deep way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California