Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:39 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Even in the nicest van available, that road is not much fun. May I suggest a moto. A moto turns the road from a chore to a delight, of course that is until you come up behind a van or RV!

You can arrange a stay at the monastery.
Yes, a lot of people don't know it but you can travel around the world and stay at certain monasteries for a donation (which they hope is substantial, but you could pay nothing if you wanted to). Those in the Christian tradition are usually Benedictine monasteries, or ones from a similar lineage such as the Camaldolese.

You don't have to have Catholic or Christian beliefs, or even believe in God. Hospitality in welcoming any guest is an actual requirement in the Rule of St Benedict, which is 1500 years old:

Quote:
Let all guests who arrive be received like Christ,
for He is going to say,
"I came as a guest, and you received Me" (Matt. 25:35).
And to all let due honor be shown,
especially to the domestics of the faith and to pilgrims.
(I'm not Catholic anymore, but I've always found monasteries to be fascinating and usually beautiful.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:04 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
If I had been around in the Middle Ages I think I would have been a monk, roof over your head, good cheese, good brandy, aside from having my sleep interrupted for matins, I think it would have beat being a peasant farmer.

If you haven't read this book, check it out; Amazon.com: The Name of the Rose: including the Author's Postscript (9780156001311): Umberto Eco, William Weaver: Books

Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Hawk, (forgive me if I have stated this before) when my father in law gets tired of looking at it I will pick up his last restoration. A detuned BSA Daytona racer, 650 from 65-66, apparently there are only three in the country. I don't know whether to put it in the living room or the garage, it is a beauty.

I like those older British bikes, BSA, Triumph, Ariel, Vincent, Norton. They have souls. I hope you did not sell yours.

In contrast, I think there are only two Japanese bikes with a soul. Honda Trail 90's and Kawasaki KLR 650's

That will be soo COOL when you get the Daytona bro.

I used to have a 1968 Honda 90 trail bike. Had a whole lot of FUns with it.
I mounted it on the front bumper of my ol Dodge chassy motorhome. We boony camped by Strawberry & the Dardanelles. Used the bike to look fer new fishin' holes, explore, & get a few supplies from the closest small town. I rigged up a plastic milk crate in back.

Camped at south shore Comanche lake, & Don Pedro, etc.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
I read that a very long time ago, highnlite.

Talk about brandy ..... I went to visit the monastery in Oceanside CA, and "accidentally" wandered through the monk's private lounge. Whew, that room reeked of wine and brandy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California