Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 34,155 times

Advertisements

Hi, me & my older sister are planing on moving to California we don't have jobs right now but we do have enough money to pay the rent for over a year. We also recieve annuities every year on our birthdays. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if we would be able to get an apartment with the money we have now & then look for work once we get a place stay. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:09 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickail View Post
Hi, me & my older sister are planing on moving to California we don't have jobs right now but we do have enough money to pay the rent for over a year. We also recieve annuities every year on our birthdays. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if we would be able to get an apartment with the money we have now & then look for work once we get a place stay. Thank you.
My older sister and I ....

A landlord cares about getting paid rent and utilities on time and wants good, responsible tenants who take care of the rental unit.
You'll need to find a way to prove to any potential landlord that you are financially viable without giving him / her any information about your accounts that would compromise the security of them.
How exactly you can do that, i'm not sure.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
You'll need to find a way to prove to any potential landlord that you are financially viable without giving him / her any information about your accounts that would compromise the security of them.
How exactly you can do that, i'm not sure.
Banks can issue a letter to the landlord verifying that someone has X dollars in their accounts.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Banks can issue a letter to the landlord verifying that someone has X dollars in their accounts.
There you go nickail.
And i'm assuming that you haven't rented before? so the other hurdle will be the lack of past rental experience and so therefore a lack of references from previous landlords.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:45 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
You might need a cosigner. Try this, go to HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments and Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale and Apartments.com | Find Apartments for Rent, Houses, Condos and Townhomes | Rental Listings, and select a building in your destination city. Give the management office a call, explain your situation, and just ask them what documentation is needed to prove your ability to pay.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
It's totally doable with the right landlord. My daughter and her bf rented right out of college with no jobs, no cosigners, 1st month + deposit. The only thing they considered was their credit scores...which were both excellent.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM

Thank you so much guys, I've been wondering how we would be able to do it.

@jaijai: No I haven't rented before, do you have any Idea what I should do? I thought that since I would be able to pay cash that I wouldn't need references or history but I could be wrong.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickail View Post
Thank you so much guys, I've been wondering how we would be able to do it.

@jaijai: No I haven't rented before, do you have any Idea what I should do? I thought that since I would be able to pay cash that I wouldn't need references or history but I could be wrong.
It depends on the landlord.
Ideally, you'll find one that likes you and your sister, trusts you and will rent to you without references.
Just emphasize that you're clean and responsible and that you care about your living space and that you and your sister will take good care of your dwelling.
Many young people (like ones right out of college) rent without any previous rental experience so you should be able to find a good situation.
The other option that will be more affordable is to find a house share situation with other young people and who will be less likely to ask for references.
Look on craigslist for the community you'll be moving to and check out the rental scene in the area.
Craigslist > Cities
If you find something that interests you then you can always come back to city-data-forum and inquire about the particular area / neighborhood.
Depending on where you're moving to, that would be prudent especially if you're going to be moving to an urban area where the chances of a bad neighborhood are more likely.

Last edited by jaijai; 07-10-2011 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
It depends on the landlord.
Ideally, you'll find one that likes you and your sister, trusts you and will rent to you without references.
Just emphasize that you're clean and responsible and that you care about your living space and that you and your sister will take good care of your dwelling.
Many young people (like ones right out of college) rent without any previous rental experience so you should be able to find a good situation.
The other option that will be more affordable is to find a house share situation with other young people and who will be less likely to ask for references.
Look on craigslist for the community you'll be moving to and check out the rental scene in the area.
Craigslist > Cities
If you find something that interests you then you can always come back to city-data-forum and inquire about the particular area / neighborhood.
Depending on where you're moving to, that would be prudent especially if you're going to be moving to an urban area where the chances of a bad neighborhood are more likely.
Thank you so much!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:15 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
You might try offering to pay 3 months rent in advance, then another 3 months rent after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California