Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,213 times

Advertisements

I'm a 19 year old entering sophomore at Marist college in ny now. I was born and raised in NYC and know nothing else but it. I feel like I'm at the prime of my youth and have to do something with it. In high school had a big plan to move with a friend to Ventura county for school and start a new life in cali but with circumstances it didn't work. As of now I feel like I'm in a rock and a hard place, I love new York, the life and everything, there's nothing else like it, but I feel like I need a change and California seems to be it. I wanna move with a friend so I won't be completely alone, but I dint know where, I wanna be somewhere descent with some life here and there and maybe close to the beach who knows. I'm thinking about continuing school out there and graduating with a communications degree which is what my major is now. Right now I just got a summer Job at whole foods that I can definitely transfer over to cali. I genuinely feel I can go out there and make it, and if I fail I can say I tried. I'm a kid with a dream but Ive never been to cali and plan to make a trip within the next year to scope it out. Me and my friend know no one and nothing out there so it would be like when people move to the big city. Where would be a great place to go and start out in California? Ventura, Santa barbera, San Fran? What would be a great starting point for my dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Finish school where you are and wait until you are 21 and have a degree and maybe even some work experience. You will live where your job is and where you can afford to rent. Check online for rental prices in the areas you are interested in.

Without knowing what your "dream" is it's hard to direct you anywhere particular. CA is a huge state with all sorts of stuff.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,246 times
Do you have a Good Paying JOB? If you answered no then do not move

Old 07-12-2011, 07:48 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Jbur1539, the out-of-state tuition at our state colleges and universities is really high - and they've recently tightened up the rules, and so it harder now to qualify as a California resident if you've recently moved. It used to be possible to live in California for a year, and then qualify as a resident - but not anymore! I have a relative who decided to come here to school, at a state school, and she will have to pay the out-of-state tuition for her entire four years of college - there's no way around that. If you decide to come anyway, and you don't have a lot of help from your parents, you can expect to graduate with a LOT of debt - not the optimal way to get through college.

And living on what you make at Whole Foods will be difficult - it's possible, since you'll have a built-in roommate in your friend - but it won't be easy.

If you're really serious about this, I might look at the universities that are in less populated or less expensive areas - the lower your cost of living, the better! Like Humboldt State is part of the California State University system - but it's in an area that is really affordable to live - and right on the coast. It's in Northern California - and the summers there are definitely not warm and sunny - but it could be a good choice because of the lower cost of living. Or, you could look at University of California at Riverside, if you're more interested in the UC system - which is a step up form the state universities - it's located in Riverside, two hours east of Los Angles, so warm and sunny most of the year, but it's a lower income area - so your living expenses would be less than going to UCLA. Those are just two examples, there are many more. But the point is that if you choose LA or San Diego or Santa Barbara or San Francisco, your living expenses will be very high - and there are other options, that might make more sense budget-wise.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Definitely move to "Cali" as you call it. Move to San Francisco & remember to always call it "Frisco." There are lots of jobs everywhere.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times
Tuition is high, colleges are turning away students due to budget cuts, rent will kill you, and employment is scarce.

That said, moving to California when you're still young is a fantastic idea. When you're old you'll only regret the adventures you DIDN'T go on. Just have a solid base of savings and a Plan B to fall back on, think things through and plan very carefully.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Tuition is high, colleges are turning away students due to budget cuts, rent will kill you, and employment is scarce.

That said, moving to California when you're still young is a fantastic idea. When you're old you'll only regret the adventures you DIDN'T go on. Just have a solid base of savings and a Plan B to fall back on, think things through and plan very carefully.
Right on.

Jbur .... i'd start in San Francisco.
Since you're a NYC guy, the urban scene won't be daunting for you.
And it's a beautiful city!
I love S.F..
It's also in a great location with wine country just a bit north, it's on the ocean and it's an easy drive to the Tahoe area if you ever feel like being in the mountains, skiing, etc..
You just have to deal with some fog and it's rainy in the winter but you'll never freeze like you do in N.Y..
Having that transferable Whole Foods Job is fantastic.
Two new ones recently opened in Santa Cruz county which is another location to consider.
It's about 2 hours south of San Francisco.
And one more thing ... i personally could care less what people call California but a lot of people have snarky attitudes about the nick-name Cali ... hence the snarky post from mistyandsporty or sportyandmsty.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbur1539 View Post
I'm a 19 year old entering sophomore at Marist college in ny now. I was born and raised in NYC and know nothing else but it. I feel like I'm at the prime of my youth and have to do something with it. In high school had a big plan to move with a friend to Ventura county for school and start a new life in cali but with circumstances it didn't work. As of now I feel like I'm in a rock and a hard place, I love new York, the life and everything, there's nothing else like it, but I feel like I need a change and California seems to be it. I wanna move with a friend so I won't be completely alone, but I dint know where, I wanna be somewhere descent with some life here and there and maybe close to the beach who knows. I'm thinking about continuing school out there and graduating with a communications degree which is what my major is now. Right now I just got a summer Job at whole foods that I can definitely transfer over to cali. I genuinely feel I can go out there and make it, and if I fail I can say I tried. I'm a kid with a dream but Ive never been to cali and plan to make a trip within the next year to scope it out. Me and my friend know no one and nothing out there so it would be like when people move to the big city. Where would be a great place to go and start out in California? Ventura, Santa barbera, San Fran? What would be a great starting point for my dream.
If you enjoy the ease of getting around in NYC via mass transit, California would be a major disappointment.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
Finish school and come when you are done.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Sure, do it, you're only young once! After a life in NYC, cost of living in south America will seem like peanuts! Are you applying for a work visa, permanent residency, or continuing your studies there? Just bear in mind they speak really fast there, so I hope your spanish is legit. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California