Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

Ridgecrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 14,001 times
Thanks guys Im still searching. Redding and surrounding areas are cheap! Found a lot of 2 br apartments for under $600 which is fantastic but when I check out a map of the propertys Im miles away from shopping stores, is there buses all over the place up there ?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
I have children and a girlfriend and an 80lb lab. I collect SSI disability for PTSD and only get $800 a month. . . Im really only moving here so I can smoke marijuana legally for my PTSD.
Moderator cut: rude/personal

What about school for you kids? How will they get back and forth?

I don't know why you need to live in CA. You can use pot privately (as you would have to do in CA too) just about anywhere with nobody knowing about it. It's kind of silly to move because of a law that could change you know.

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-24-2011 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: rude/personal

Old 07-24-2011, 04:53 PM

7 posts, read 14,001 times
Ceese, my children won't be going to school for a few years, they are very young.<br><br>As I previously said, I am dirt poor. I am bringing my family down by buying pot ($) which is the only thing that keeps my PTSD stable. It is very illegal where im from (louisiana) and I would like to grow it so I don't have to have that financial burden on my family. I also don't want to get arrested for trying.<br><br>That's why CA is important to me.<br>

Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
If all you have is 800 a month then even the cheapest parts of California are going to be a stretch.

There are cheaper states with Medical pot, for instance, Michigan.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 AM

113 posts, read 252,300 times
Try Yucaipa or Calimesa. You will need a car to get to walmart.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
I've never been up that way, but from my understanding that you'd be netter off anywhere in northern California, another city that comes to mind would be Eureka. It's almost an entirely different state and mindset when you get up towards Oregon. I can't tell you the exact reason for the difference in the cost of living, but my guess would be due to not many people wanting to live there since it is so far away from major cities. Whenever someone thinks about Cali they are drawn to either the bay area or socal, so the other areas become "less desirable", even though I am certain there are those that live there wouldn't live anywhere else.

I don't know what effect this has on you, but I also believe that the further north you get the more liberal you get, such as less of an issue getting your prescriptions filled.
Eureka isn't particularly cheap nor is it all that safe? The reason for what you precieve as a lower cost of living is easy: there are no jobs, poor climate for many and it is miles from nowhere. To add to all this, most apartments in these small towns are not close to shopping and the public transportation is almost non existant. I don't think there is anyplace the OP can live that will work. It is hard for me to believe there is no medication that will work, rather than depending on pot.
NIta

Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I'm not judging you and your family at all, but there seem to be quite a few people in your situation in the town that I live in (Oroville). Its has its crime of course, but all in all its a pretty sleepy place by California standards. Plus there seems to be a big supply of section 8 public housing (its a pretty poor community). They're actually pretty nice look apartment complexes. Pretty much any decent sized town north of Sacramento will be fairly cheap (Yuba City/Marysville, Oroville, Red Bluff, Redding). Chico's nice, but a bit more expensive thanks to the university and general "cool" factor. Even tiny Willows has a Wal-mart.
i would think Oroville or Marysville as well. The biggest problem the OP is going to have: section 8. From what I have heard there is a year to 3 year waiting period for section 8 housing, no matter what the situation is. I do not see how anyone can live in Ca on $800 a month with children, even if they get food stamps and medicade.

NIta

Old 07-25-2011, 03:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyzzyd View Post
Ceese, my children won't be going to school for a few years, they are very young.<br><br>As I previously said, I am dirt poor. I am bringing my family down by buying pot ($) which is the only thing that keeps my PTSD stable. It is very illegal where im from (louisiana) and I would like to grow it so I don't have to have that financial burden on my family. I also don't want to get arrested for trying.<br><br>That's why CA is important to me.<br>
This isn't going to work out for you though. Not with that budget, not anywhere. You need support of family and friends. Try social services and get theraputic treatment. No section 8 is readily available to you. Growing pot for your own use wouldn't be hard anywhere but that will turn into selling pot for the money and pretty soon you will be busted or hurt, even in CA. Then you will really bring your family down. This is how you plan to support yourself, no? Save yourself the grief, you'd be gutter living before you even got here.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Sonora and Jackson have Walmarts are small and safer towns in the foothills. Not sure how easily it will be for your GF to get a job though. Honestly you should not move until she has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California