Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,414 times

Advertisements

Currently I live in NJ and have been to California once. I stayed in West Hollywood I believe. Here's what I'm looking for in a town in Southern California:

1. reasonable housing prices- a nice, newer 1 bed, maybe in a building with a pool. I would also do a new construction high rise condo..looking to spend $1300-$1450.

2. I want to live in a town with a walkable downtown..I'd like to be able to get a coffee, and be close to shopping/restaurants, nightlife. I'd like to use a car as little as possible..or even have no car. Walking to the beach-or a 10 min drive to the beach would be a huge plus! I have a dog so being close to parks would be great.

3. A lively town with single professionals ages 27-40's. I don't want to live in a college town where everyone is 22-25. I'm in my early 30's.

4. Maybe Santa Monica? West Hollywood?

5. I'm want to live in a town where I can be pretty casual..I'll get dressed up for a club/cocktail party but a place with a casual, beachy vibe would be ideal. I'm happy in a jean skirt, cute top, and flip flops on most days.

I'm planninga trip to California to check out different areas so I need any advice you have! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Is it OK if the town has lots of rich eligible bachelors?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:40 PM

591 posts, read 863,109 times
San Diego comes to mind; and BTW for what it's worth, if you are looking to date straight men WH has a lot of gays, so that might not be conducive to your goals.

Be prepared to get a room-mate to get a nicer place than what $1500 would buy (not much in California any more, excluding places you don't want to live, like San Bernardino or Sacramento)

Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM

76 posts, read 111,733 times
It may be difficult to find a condo at a reasonable rate in the towns you listed as a preference. Both Sa.Mo. and West Hollywood are nice locations but you may have better luck in the west L.A. area when choosing to live on the west side at the cost you are willing to spend. One bedroom apt.: $12-$1600 a month. Condo? Ventura County beach community's are far more reasonable and more layed back, much different from the L.A. vibe.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:02 PM

591 posts, read 863,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pissedoff View Post
It may be difficult to find a condo at a reasonable rate in the towns you listed as a preference. Both Sa.Mo. and West Hollywood are nice locations but you may have better luck in the west L.A. area when choosing to live on the west side at the cost you are willing to spend. One bedroom apt.: $12-$1600 a month. Condo? Ventura County beach community's are far more reasonable and more layed back, much different from the L.A. vibe.
Yes, and so would San Luis Obispo (further north).

Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
Harder to get a nice apt with a dog. I know people don't care but most apartments were not built with dogs in mind..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California