Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 03:04 AM

3 posts, read 7,078 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm moving to California from Pennsylvania and have been searching for places to rent. I'll be working on Camp Roberts and was wondering with traffic and other things considered is the commute reasonable up 101 from SLO. Me and my fiance are a young couple and enjoy the nightlife and such and other communities in the area don't seem to offer a lot. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:52 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
It is doable, it is about 40 miles and will take close to an hour each way.

Two considerations, two hours out of your day are gone.

80 miles a day, say you car gets 20 mpg, that is 4 gallons a day, at roughly $4 a gallon, $16 bucks a day, $320 a month for fuel.

IRS says it costs about $.50 per mile to operate a car, that will be $40 per day, $800 per month.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 AM

388 posts, read 848,973 times
Figuring you already know the driving time and distances, and the helpful info .high gave you, I assume you are wondering more about actual commute/traffic times. The hour that .high stated should be pretty accurate. I've never driven that way during "rush hour", but I've never had any issues during that drive and the only areas you might have some slowing down would be Atascadero or paso. Speaking of which, are both very nice places as far as visiting. I've never lived there, but I know they are both closer to camp Roberts and have most of the same amenities of slo, without as vibrant of a nightlife.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:48 AM

168 posts, read 554,319 times
I am one of the few commuters that actually travel from san luis to the north county for my job. It is a reverse commute, so little to no traffic. .high is pretty spot on. Have you considered Paso? It has a vibrant downtown with some really great restaurants. Can't comment on the night life, but in San Luis, the night life is pretty much bars and college students (unless you get to know the hip power couples like debbie pienson or myself ). Also Paso's housing is a whole heck of a lot cheap than San Luis, but there is also a reason why I live there myself versus where I work in north county. Good luck and welcome!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Personally, I would get 5 or 10 acres somewhere around Paso Robles, get some horses and dirt bikes, and a cowboy hat.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM

thanks for the responces, it looks like paso robles is the best choice, time to find a place

Old 08-09-2011, 05:02 PM

20 posts, read 79,742 times
Good luck! My husband and I are originally from PA too, are in our late 20s, and are very recent transplants to Paso (we've been here about three weeks). My husband is commuting up the Ft. Hunter Liggett instead of Camp Roberts though. We are really enjoying the town so far and I think we're going to be happy here. There's plenty to do but the town definitely has a laid-back vibe. I love the scenery; I'd take this over the east coast any day!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:42 PM

I'm glad you like it I was wondering how the area was to someone from PA. It seems the vibe we are looking for, should be a good fit. I'll have to rent a place just based on pictures because I can't make it out before I start work in the beginning of October, so are there any areas I should stay away from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California