Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 08:27 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
I too have lived in both states and each of them have many great things to offer. The amount of ignorant comments made by allegedly "tolerant" people here never ceases to amaze me.
Really? Texas has something to offer? Do enlighten us, and if you would not mind, leave the urban opolis's out of it, there is certainly little in any urban area that I for one, care one whit about.

admittedly there is a lot of bass fishing, not as large a bass as found in CA, for those who consider it worthwhile to bass fish, there is Hueco Tanks, and the two national parks out in the west, but really, what does Texas have, that California does not also have, better, but with weather tolerable enough to actually enjoy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM

388 posts, read 849,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Regardless, I'm not sure why you are giving me a list of corporations in Texas...I just stated that Texas can be a good place for established corporations to relocate to.... I also never implied these don't add economic activity to Texas, they certainly do, but they add economic activity at a cost. These companies are relocating to Texas for tax benefits and tax breaks, but this denies Texas needed tax revenue.

I was stating that the corporations I listed from Dallas didnt say where they started off. No meniton of them being anywhere else, so I would have to assume they started in Texas as a Texas company. There are plenty of good comapnies in that list.

I'm not sure what you are address here, I never suggested that Texas lacks "tech jobs", in fact I explicitly mentioned some tech jobs that can be found in Texas. Texas has tech jobs, but the tech jobs in Texas tend to be low on the tech ladder.

My comment was in response to you posting "Additionally, Texas can be a great place to locate operations with high labor depends, Texas is filled with low-skill and mid-skilled labor so it can be a great place to relocate non-technical manufacturing, mundane software development, etc. But these are all lower income jobs. Indeed, almost all the job creation in Texas recently has been from the low-end." Which I already said, I do not agree with that assessment and gave you my reasoning. I went through and, maybe I'm missing something, but I never read anything from you praising tech jobs in TX.

California is "high on the list" today for the same reason it was in the past, namely it has a supportive social institutions. California still receives the majority of VC deals in tech, vastly more than Texas. And this is just the point, Texas is the sort of place you locate your boring operations to because you can get cheaper labor, but its not the sort of place where you do your R&D/innovation.

Why would Texas be the next major hotspot? For what? What is Texas doing to make it the "next hotspot"? Nothing, the very thing they use to attract businesses to the state (low taxes/tax breaks) prevents them from funding the sorts of social institutions that would make it a "hotspot".

What exactly are you referring to with "social institutions"? If you are referring to colleges, well, the University of Texas is right up there in the rankings with your CA schools, and that is a major reason Austin has become a hotspot for tech jobs.
Quote:
California never has heat waves or heat related deaths ever. This only happens in Texas.
Yeah, CA only gets those lowly earthquakes...

Old 08-07-2011, 09:34 AM

Amazing how I see posts about the weather in TX being one of the biggest drawbacks. How, oh how do 24.3 Million people ever deal with the desert conditions presented in the state of Texas???? You know there are hotter places in the U.S. than TX.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,004 times
Quote:
Feel free to refute anything I stated...
Most companies that locate to Texas aren't growth companies, they are established corporations with slow growth and they have operations throughout the country ( in fact, often throughout the world). Energy, especially historically, is the one sector that Texas has done well in both in terms of home grown companies and attracting high-growth companies.

WTF does that even mean? You pulled this completely out of your ass.

I never suggested that Texas lacks "tech jobs", in fact I explicitly mentioned some tech jobs that can be found in Texas. Texas has tech jobs, but the tech jobs in Texas tend to be low on the tech ladder.

And you know this from your extensive experience in the tech sector? Yeah, because producing things like semiconductors is oh so low end. You don't know what you're talking about.

namely it has a supportive social institutions......but its not the sort of place where you do your R&D/innovation

That's the heart of R&D, finding the place with social institutions. Such a critical component of research and discovery is a social institution, whatever the hell that is. Non-sequiturs, you've got them in spades.

What is Texas doing to make it the "next hotspot"? Nothing, the very thing they use to attract businesses to the state (low taxes/tax breaks) prevents them from funding the sorts of social institutions that would make it a "hotspot".

More meaningless gibberish. Your obsession with talking down Texas simply because you dislike some of the culture there makes me think you need to be put away in a "social institution."

Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Really? Texas has something to offer? Do enlighten us, and if you would not mind, leave the urban opolis's out of it, there is certainly little in any urban area that I for one, care one whit about.

admittedly there is a lot of bass fishing, not as large a bass as found in CA, for those who consider it worthwhile to bass fish, there is Hueco Tanks, and the two national parks out in the west, but really, what does Texas have, that California does not also have, better, but with weather tolerable enough to actually enjoy it?
Thank you for unwittingly proving my point.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Amazing how I see posts about the weather in TX being one of the biggest drawbacks. How, oh how do 24.3 Million people ever deal with the desert conditions presented in the state of Texas???? You know there are hotter places in the U.S. than TX.
That is easy, most Texans do not live in "desert conditions" in Texas. Nowhere in Texas are rainfall amounts low enough to qualify as true desert.

About 14,000,000 acres of southwest Texas are in the Chihuahua desert (really, the best part of Texas) Now that sounds like a lot but Texas 172,000,000 acres, so less than 10% of Texas is in a desert.

About 25% of California is desert, and it is largely true desert with annual rainfall average of less than 20 inches per year.

California has about 100,000,000 acres, about 25,000,000 of which are desert.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
That is easy, most Texans do not live in "desert conditions" in Texas. Nowhere in Texas are rainfall amounts low enough to qualify as true desert.

About 14,000,000 acres of southwest Texas are in the Chihuahua desert (really, the best part of Texas) Now that sounds like a lot but Texas 172,000,000 acres, so less than 10% of Texas is in a desert.

About 25% of California is desert, and it is largely true desert with annual rainfall average of less than 20 inches per year.

California has about 100,000,000 acres, about 25,000,000 of which are desert.

Guess I shouldve added a smiley or something to show my sarcasm. Obviously it isnt the desert, however I continue to see posts about the extreme unbearable heat that 24 million people seem to be able to bear.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:18 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Yeah, how exactly does one get use to 100+ temps with high humidity? It would be one thing if it was a rare event, but its a common occurrence in Texas.
Somehow milllions of people live in Texas, and in climates even hotter and less comfortable around the world. Somehow they get used to it. They adapt, as humans do.

Somehow roofers, carpenters, cyclists, runners, landscapers, etc all do what the need or want to even when it is hot outside.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
California never has heat waves or heat related deaths ever. This only happens in Texas.
What are you responding to? Who said California doesn't have heat waves? Certainly not I. Please respond to the person who actually said that.

As for heat related deaths, I cannot recall a time when Ca. has mad heat related deaths on the magnitude that occurs several times a decade like it does in other parts of the country (not just Texas). Now I personally can't recall a big news story about heat related deaths here. Even though the average temperature in places like Modest is 103 in summer and 112 in El Centro. See, humidty here is much lower and/or somehow people here manage to not let the weather kill them.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:34 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Yeah, how exactly does one get use to 100+ temps with high humidity? It would be one thing if it was a rare event, but its a common occurrence in Texas.
Okay, I was not going to come back here but you need to get your facts straight. I don't why Californians are continually saying high humidity is a common occurrence in Texas when it isn't!! I am a Floridan living in Texas and I can assure you that only Florida, Georgia, and some other southern states have "common" occurrences of high humidity! With the exception of Houston, TEXAS DOES NOT. And what the hell do you mean how can one get used to the high temps with high humidity?! How would you survive in Florida?! It's one freaking season with a bunch of heat and humidity. It's not the whole damn year! How do you think most of the Asian population in your state has survived to this day?! Their immigrated parents and grandparents were subjected to high heat temps and humidity throughout the whole year for most of their lives coming from countries like Cambodia and the Philippines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California