Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Noticed that you are in Maui, Hawaii. How are the property taxes in HI by comparison?
Maui is 0.555%, Honolulu is only 0.350%! Property taxes are very low, even with the high cost of real estate here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
If you are buying a house(mansion) worth 500k in TEXAS, then you can afford the extra 15000 a yr on taxes. And figuring I can get a 2000sf 4 bdrm house for 200k or less, and in CA that would cost me around 350k-400k at best, plus around a 1.25% prop tax rate, I'd still take TX.
Out in the distant suburbs, yes $500k buys a huge house... But check out the values for an urban neighborhood in Austin:
Zilker Austin TX Homes for Sale & Zilker Real Estate - Zillow

For $550k you can get a 1900sqft house

Now look at a suburban neighborhood that's close to downtown:
http://www.zillow.com/homes/zilker,-...06_rect/13_zm/

$1 mil gets you about 4000sqft

A distant suburb is much cheaper but still pretty expensive
http://www.zillow.com/homes/zilker,-...65_rect/11_zm/

But... Austinites tend to blame the high property values on the hordes of Californian invaders

There are dirt cheap houses in Houston suburbs, but who wants to live in Houston? The only Texans who like the city are the ones who live there and have no choice.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 08-10-2011 at 08:08 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
BTW, the Californians that people in other states hate are the the hipsters and yuppies who want to turn everywhere into San Francisco. Those particular Californians should just all move to Portland... and not Austin! If you can leave the passive aggressive stickers off your Prius, buy some cowboy boots without any ironic intent, and not complain about the weather all the time, Texans aren't going to hate you. I'm sure the same goes for Montana, Arizona, etc.
that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time....and a nice way to sum up why most of the country...why most people don't like arrogant fools....in general.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,004 times
Quote:
FYI, Texas isn't doing as well economically as the rightwing talking heads would have you believe. The Texas government has a bigger deficit than California.

Analysis: Texas vs California: A tale of two budget deficits | Reuters

And regarding taxes... The place I immigrated to and became American was Texas, and I'll always be a Texan, but I really can't see myself ever buying a house in Texas. The property taxes are so high that it's as though you're renting from the state government. I consider it fundamentally unfair to tax someone's property 3%+ under pain of confiscation. There's a myth that houses in Texas are dirt cheap. Well yes, they are dirt cheap in the far flung suburbs, but not urban neighborhoods and not in the suburbs of desireable cities (IE Austin). 3% of $500k is $15,000/yr, just in property tax.
That's pretty misleading. Texas runs close budgets as the norm. Taxes are handled at the local level as there is no state income tax and those who favor spikes in taxes tend to get replaced come election time. Paul Krugman already attempted to paint Texas as broke and got owned for it.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
For someone in CA, 500k for a house isn't that much. As someone who is planning on moving to Texas, I've done plenty of research on the topic and I can assure you it will get you quite more than anyone would need in TX.
Again your comments are essentially meaningless, real estate costs are not uniform in Texas. For example, $500k in central Austin isn't going to get you much....

Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I've expereinced a lot of very rude people in California. Rude isn't even the right word, more like I've seen the stereotypes in action.

Texas would be better if education were better and there was less blind pride.
Californians are only tolerant of people who think exactly like them, everyone else is an uneducated bigot, see how this works?

Not sure about Texas K-12, but their universities are excellent. I'd take UT, A&M, and Baylor over just about every school in California.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
If I had the kind of money to put down on a 500,000K house it probably wouldn't bother me as much as it does coming out of my salary.
Lower income folks don't pay a lot of income tax in California.....

Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Lower income folks don't pay a lot of income tax in California.....
It's a lot of money to them.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM

388 posts, read 849,037 times
Quote:
Out in the distant suburbs, yes $500k buys a huge house... But check out the values for an urban neighborhood in Austin:

For $550k you can get a 1900sqft house

Now look at a suburban neighborhood that's close to downtown:

$1 mil gets you about 4000sqft

A distant suburb is much cheaper but still pretty expensive

But... Austinites tend to blame the high property values on the hordes of Californian invaders
Those links aren't working for me, but I'm assuming you are attempting to show me houses from an expansive neughborhood in Austin, any city in the US is going to have a neighborhood o two like that, even back home in Baltimore. I'm on realtor.com right now and typed in Austin and max price of 200k, and the very first one that showed up, with an address in the city of austin, is 4 bd 3 bth, 2538 sq ft.

I'm not sure what your definition of a "distant" suburb is, but when I've been looking in the area I want to live, cedar park, which is 20 min from downtown, I find houses almost all the way down to 150k that are 4 bdrm 2000 sq ft.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
It's a lot of money to them.
Perhaps, but lower income folks are going to pay more in Taxes in states like Texas. California has a very progressive tax structure, those that are middle-class and below get off easy while those above pay a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California