Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:14 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times

Advertisements

OP, I haven't seen them mentioned yet, but look at Kingsburg and Tipton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 PM

307 posts, read 980,923 times
FresnoFacts: Yeah, that is what I have heard about Clovis. Don't want to be in a suburban area. But also don't want to be too far from the city. We would prefer a city between 10,000 to 100,000 population give or take. Fort Collins is about 140,000 but with students, tourists, and people who work here from out in the country it grows alot higher from what I can tell.

David Aguilar: I certainly will check into those areas. It seems to me that we are leaning more towards a central area between Fresno and Bakersfield with an accent towards Bakersfield, because of aforementioned reasons. Probably in the Tulare, Lindsay, Porterville, Visalia region. But still not sure. Does anyone familiar with Wasco have an opinion?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
FresnoFacts: Yeah, that is what I have heard about Clovis. Don't want to be in a suburban area. But also don't want to be too far from the city. We would prefer a city between 10,000 to 100,000 population give or take. Fort Collins is about 140,000 but with students, tourists, and people who work here from out in the country it grows alot higher from what I can tell.

David Aguilar: I certainly will check into those areas. It seems to me that we are leaning more towards a central area between Fresno and Bakersfield with an accent towards Bakersfield, because of aforementioned reasons. Probably in the Tulare, Lindsay, Porterville, Visalia region. But still not sure. Does anyone familiar with Wasco have an opinion?
You don't want to live in Wasco. That is all I will say.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:

Is there any chance you could visit at least once to scope out these areas in question? You know, a little recon trip. This would help out Big Time. There is only so much you can glean from internet sites such as CD. Although there is certainly a greater abundance of information than in years past. Still nothing compares to driving the neighborhoods, walking the streets, talking with the locals and checking out the scene in person to get a better feel for these areas in question. One man's wasteland may be another's shangri la. And in the Central Valley this difference is even more pronounced. There are places which some despise and other actually like/enjoy. So take all these inputs with a big grain of salt.

You said initially you may just pick a town, and then once out here if you don't really like it move somewhere you like more. And I know people hate moving, ourselves included. But that is more realistic than some who want to make a major commitment to an area like buying a home or signing an extended lease without even visiting the place first.

Derek

Old 08-15-2011, 10:07 PM

And I suggest renting first.

When we lived in Delano, we occupied a rental for 3 years before relocating to Bakersfield in 2005. That opportunity afforded us to scout the neighborhoods until we settled in the northwest part of the city.

Moving to Bakersfield was like night and day because most towns between here and Tulare resemble third world countries which is why I said Porterville is more decent than Delano. And Delano is much more decent than Wasco.

BTW, you should check out Bakersfield. There are several areas outside of Bakersfield that is part of the city, but it feels somewhat isolated away from it. One good example is the Rio Bravo area and the neighborhoods along the Alfred Harrell Highway. These neighborhoods are isolated away from the city about 5 to 10 miles away.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 PM

462 posts, read 741,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Is there any chance you could visit at least once to scope out these areas in question? You know, a little recon trip. This would help out Big Time.
Derek
Yea this is true man, google maps also helps with this task if u use the street level view, kinda do a virtual drive thru of any city/area u like just about.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Is there any chance you could visit at least once to scope out these areas in question? You know, a little recon trip. This would help out Big Time. There is only so much you can glean from internet sites such as CD. Although there is certainly a greater abundance of information than in years past. Still nothing compares to driving the neighborhoods, walking the streets, talking with the locals and checking out the scene in person to get a better feel for these areas in question. One man's wasteland may be another's shangri la. And in the Central Valley this difference is even more pronounced. There are places which some despise and other actually like/enjoy. So take all these inputs with a big grain of salt.

You said initially you may just pick a town, and then once out here if you don't really like it move somewhere you like more. And I know people hate moving, ourselves included. But that is more realistic than some who want to make a major commitment to an area like buying a home or signing an extended lease without even visiting the place first.

Derek
I know, I know. The info one can get on here is very subjective and because the Human is so complex and myriadical it is most proficient to visit a place before moving especially a place like this with an extreme polar difference in many ways. I agree 100% percent with your above statement.

If I come it will be to rent and then check out the areas around before totally settling because I cannot visit first. I want to visit first but financially can't afford it. If I can swing a visit first I certainly will.

I know you have to take whats said on here with a grain of salt...I have certainly seen that for the last 3 or so years I have been travelling and using this site. I try to help others on here with knowledge about all the places I've been. But try to remind them that these are my own perceptions and observations and that theirs certainly may differ. Its what we all should do.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
And I suggest renting first.

When we lived in Delano, we occupied a rental for 3 years before relocating to Bakersfield in 2005. That opportunity afforded us to scout the neighborhoods until we settled in the northwest part of the city.

Moving to Bakersfield was like night and day because most towns between here and Tulare resemble third world countries which is why I said Porterville is more decent than Delano. And Delano is much more decent than Wasco.

BTW, you should check out Bakersfield. There are several areas outside of Bakersfield that is part of the city, but it feels somewhat isolated away from it. One good example is the Rio Bravo area and the neighborhoods along the Alfred Harrell Highway. These neighborhoods are isolated away from the city about 5 to 10 miles away.
You mention Tulare? Is it comparable to Porterville...better or worse? I appreciate you info about the area around Bakersfield, it is very insightful. You said you were familiar with Porterville, and I see Lindsay is near, are you familiar with Lindsay at all, or anyone??

Old 08-17-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
You mention Tulare? Is it comparable to Porterville...better or worse? I appreciate you info about the area around Bakersfield, it is very insightful. You said you were familiar with Porterville, and I see Lindsay is near, are you familiar with Lindsay at all, or anyone??
When I lived in Delano for 3 years, the three bigger cities I visited often was Bakersfield, Tulare, and Visalia. Fresno was the furthest away in proximity compared to the three other cities mentioned.

Out of those three cities, Tulare is the smallest but still quite big. To me, resembles more of a bedroom community and could be viewed as Visalia's little sister since they are in close proximity to each other. I view Tulare as a little less urban than Visalia, which has more commercial businesses and big box stores but still a nice place to reside in. However, I am saying that from a resident's point of view because the biggest event of the year is the World Ag Expo held in Tulare every February, which is a tourist attraction to people all over the world. About The Show :: World Ag Expo :: Tulare, CA (http://www.worldagexpo.com/General-Info/About-The-Show/About-The-Show.htm - broken link)

It is worth checking out the city profile at their website: City of Tulare

And to answer your questions: 1). I have never visited Lindsey. 2). In comparison, Tulare is better than Porterville for the simple fact that it is more developed and its location provides easier and shorter commute to the other cities along highway 99. Porterville has a little bit of everything because it is further away from the nearest city. They have their own Walmart, their own community college, etc. However, I suggest visiting the cities on your list as I don't think I'd give the city a fair opinion after only visiting it less than 5 times in the last 7 years.

It's also worth visiting Porterville's website: http://www.ci.porterville.ca.us/dept...tyDevelopment/

Old 08-19-2011, 05:30 PM

98 posts, read 237,798 times
I don't know a lot about the towns out near Bakersfield. I know that the towns along 99 between the 198 exit and Bakersfield are really bad for the most part. They are little more than glorified farm labor camps. That does not include Tulare, which does seem a lot better than the other tiny towns. Hanford is a decent place to live, from what I have heard from friends that live there. I saw someone else mentioned Kingsburg. LOVELY little town! Great police department, beautiful downtown area, good schools, and is literally a little oasis amongst a lot of icky towns. If I were to ever move back to the Central Valley (which I highly doubt) it would be without a doubt to Kingsburg. It's close enough to Fresno to go there for shopping, etc. But it's far enough away to be its own little town. It's cute as can be and people that live there have a lot of pride in their town. I would highly recommend you check it out.

I don't know how it effects daily life for people in Porterville, but there is a very large meth problem there. I have known a few people from there (including a police chief and a police officer) and meth is extremely prevalent.

Like someone else said, being able to visit first would be so much better. There are some towns in the Central Valley that are ****holes to put it bluntly. Orange Cove, Traver, Goshen, and Parlier are at the very top of that list for the area I lived in. There are towns in the Central Valley where you will feel like you landed in the middle of a very poor part of Mexico. There are other towns that are much nicer, IMO. Visalia, Clovis, Kingsburg, Exeter, and Hanford would all be places I would live, unlike other towns in the area. If you want to know anything at all about Reedley, let me know. I know that town inside and out. I lived there for my entire life, and worked for the police department. I can tell you the good, bad, and ugly. Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California