Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,873,273 times

Advertisements

To the OP:

You gotta visit the Central Valley to find out what's a likeable area for you,cause everyone has their own preferences or standards of what they define as good or bad.

Many times i've heard people comment on a particular area with negative views,but I decided to have a look at the area myself and to my surprise I liked the area and it wasn't as bad as others described it.

I'm not saying the Central Valley doesn't have bad areas,but what I am saying is you gotta visit the places your interested in then you can decide whether it's for you or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 05:55 PM

230 posts, read 623,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Hi all. I currently live in the Front Range in Colorado (Fort Collins to Pueblo) but grew up in the Sacramento area of California until about 3 years ago. I am currently considering a move back to CA but to the Bakersfield to Fresno area.

I wanted to know from those familiar with the Front Range area and the Bakersfield to Fresno area how they compare in the quality of life as well as how this area of CA compares to the Sacto/Gold Country area which I am more familiar with. I wanted to visit the Bakersfield area but cannot, so am looking for as much info as I can get before deciding.

The issues of primary concern would be revolving around quality of life. For instance: smog, crime, population density, traffic, poverty/economy, natural resources like mountain/forest access and quality, as well as parks and lakes etc. etc., and whatever else one might think of.

I mostly want to live near Bakersfield, but not in it. So my choices are nearby rural communities between Bakersfield and Fresno but as close to Bakersfield as possible, but am willing to travel a little ways there to live in a good community. If you could comment on these communities between Bakersfield and Fresno, which are better and why, that would be excellent. I have been looking into areas like Porterville, Tulare, Wasco, Visalia, Arvin, Delano, Lindsay, Exeter, Woodlake, Tehachapi etc. etc. But I am open to any credit and discredit and suggestion regarding communities in this area, as well as quality of life compared to where I am now.

Please feel free to ask any questions to help the process. Much help is greatly needed as I am NOT able to visit before I make a decision. I really want to come home to CA but have been made aware of many of the issues facing the state these days and it seems troubling. I am constantly running into people who have moved here or elsewhere trying to get out of CA for various reasons. Please be descript to help with my decisions. Thank you for your help.

Hi, from my experience living in California and spending time in the Central Valley, I can say that I would never choose Fresno or Bakersfield for my home. The crime and air quality, and housing issues, and job issues, make Fresno the least favorite of the two. Bakersfield, if I was forced to choose between the two, would be my choice.

Having said that, I would head to Sacramento or the Gold Country in a heartbeat if that was your choice between the three. I totally understand about wanting to comeback to California.. it's where you grew up. But.. the Sacramento area is going to be a much better choice. imho.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:56 PM

230 posts, read 623,293 times
Quote:
FresnoFacts: Yeah, that is what I have heard about Clovis. Don't want to be in a suburban area. But also don't want to be too far from the city. We would prefer a city between 10,000 to 100,000 population give or take. Fort Collins is about 140,000 but with students, tourists, and people who work here from out in the country it grows alot higher from what I can tell.

David Aguilar: I certainly will check into those areas. It seems to me that we are leaning more towards a central area between Fresno and Bakersfield with an accent towards Bakersfield, because of aforementioned reasons. Probably in the Tulare, Lindsay, Porterville, Visalia region. But still not sure. Does anyone familiar with Wasco have an opinion?
Oh, if you're considering the Central Valley, one town I really loved was Hanford. Cute downtown, nice people, and pretty landscape. I would just stay out of the areas that have 18% unemployment and rampant crime. Use the City Data info to look at crime data, and such. It's not 2010, but should give you an idea.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:58 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
If ya want to liveclose but not in bakersfield I would pick Porterville i visit there from time to time and it's not bad at all. Exiter would be a nice place to live, I may retire there.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:14 PM

307 posts, read 980,749 times
caliguy2007: I agree completely, and definitely understand this.

trixie: Thanks for your imput! Yes, I love the Sacto area, surrounding rural towns and Gold Country very much! I will look into Hanford, definitely.

Roaddog: Thankd for the recommendation on Porterville, it definitely tops my list among places especially near Bakersfield.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
When I lived in Delano for 3 years, the three bigger cities I visited often was Bakersfield, Tulare, and Visalia. Fresno was the furthest away in proximity compared to the three other cities mentioned.

Out of those three cities, Tulare is the smallest but still quite big. To me, resembles more of a bedroom community and could be viewed as Visalia's little sister since they are in close proximity to each other. I view Tulare as a little less urban than Visalia, which has more commercial businesses and big box stores but still a nice place to reside in. However, I am saying that from a resident's point of view because the biggest event of the year is the World Ag Expo held in Tulare every February, which is a tourist attraction to people all over the world. About The Show :: World Ag Expo :: Tulare, CA (http://www.worldagexpo.com/General-Info/About-The-Show/About-The-Show.htm - broken link)

It is worth checking out the city profile at their website: City of Tulare

And to answer your questions: 1). I have never visited Lindsey. 2). In comparison, Tulare is better than Porterville for the simple fact that it is more developed and its location provides easier and shorter commute to the other cities along highway 99. Porterville has a little bit of everything because it is further away from the nearest city. They have their own Walmart, their own community college, etc. However, I suggest visiting the cities on your list as I don't think I'd give the city a fair opinion after only visiting it less than 5 times in the last 7 years.

It's also worth visiting Porterville's website: http://www.ci.porterville.ca.us/dept...tyDevelopment/
thanks for the great info! We are currently heavily considering Tulare as well. I am trying to find a way to vist first, and believe I may be able to but am not sure...we'll see, I guess. Thanks for your help and advice thus far. I have been very interested in Porterville for a while. I will be visiting these first and several other towns and areas before moving into one.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,696,674 times
Quote:
thanks for the great info! We are currently heavily considering Tulare as well. I am trying to find a way to vist first, and believe I may be able to but am not sure...we'll see, I guess. Thanks for your help and advice thus far. I have been very interested in Porterville for a while. I will be visiting these first and several other towns and areas before moving into one.
I have an employee who regularly visits Porterville as he lives in a nearby town called Richmond. I asked him to describe the town since I remember this thread. He said that the wealthier people live on the mountains and while the town is a bit on the old fashioned side, it is very upscale and clean. I believe the local industry there is supported by strong agriculture.

My church member's wife grew up in Porterville and while both have lived in Bakersfield for several years, the wife wants to relocate back to Porterville.

So with that said, it's good that you plan on visiting the towns on your list because my impression of Porterville is far different from what my employee described. Good luck and I hope to hear back from you on what you think of Porterville and Tulare.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 AM

245 posts, read 545,239 times
Porterville is the most isolated, but probably the nicest in my opinion. Fresno is just too isolated from any big city conveniences( Major airports, sports teams, ect) I would chose a town closer to Bakersfield because of the location. Good luck

Old 10-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
Porterville is the most isolated, but probably the nicest in my opinion. Fresno is just too isolated from any big city conveniences( Major airports, sports teams, ect) I would chose a town closer to Bakersfield because of the location. Good luck
Thanks for your opinion! I know this thread has been inactive for a long time it seems, but I appreciate anyone's opinions.

I did get a chance to visit there last winter. I think I started another thread with my thoughts on the areas and concerns, but I will say briefly, that in that area between Fresno and Bakersfield, I definitely like Visalia the best. Didn't care for Porterville as I had hoped. I think if I were to live in that area, that I would choose Visalia or perhaps a smaller town near there of good quality. I did not look around Fresno, because I was just not interested in seeing the city, but I did drive briefly around Bakersfield.

Again, thanks for everyone's help with my questions about this area. Though I am still in Colorado, I hope to make a move soon. I may not be moving to that area however. If I do, I would choose the Visalia area. Visalia was a very nice community indeed. Thanks again.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 AM

8 posts, read 12,504 times
I'm in the same situation, though primarily concerned with outdoor recreation opportunities out east of Fresno as compared to CO. Anyone have thoughts on the Rockies vs Sierras for those types of things (hiking, camping, etc.)? Is there an outdoor culture out there at all comparable to what you'd find here in the Denver region? (all other things aside crime, economy, air, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California