Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:02 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,656,030 times

Advertisements

In a perfect world, some outfit would build a massive mall out in Shandon, all the chain stores one who wants his money to leave the country could wish for.

Olive Garden is based in Orlando Florida, East Coast? Sorta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:13 PM

388 posts, read 846,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Yup, it's true North County doesnt have much. But I will move out of North County some day to SLO, so until then I dont care.

I guess you can relate my desire to see Macy's and Olive Garden and chains is because Macy's and Olive Garden are East Coast urban chains, and two more chains makes look one step more like a city like Monterey and Santa Barbara.
I dont know for sure, because I am not one, but I dont think the people of SLO even want that for their city. I see SLO as a great town with a great small city vibe, and I think that's what makes it so great.

I'm not sure where you are going with the Monterrey and Santa Barbara reference, I see them as being along the same thinking as SLO, preserving that small town charm as much as possible. I think the only reason those two cities are even the size they are is due to tourism.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:04 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,061,759 times
I'm a bit confused too about how Olive Garden ties to Monterey and Santa Barbara, its not in either city. Closest locations to those 2 cities are in Salinas, Santa Maria and Oxnard. SLO getting Olive Garden makes it less like SB and Monterey, not more.

Hope I'm not the only one old enough to remember that both Olive Garden and Red Lobster were originally part of General Mills. General Mills is HQ'd in Minnesota. So Olive Garden (and Red Lobster) technically is a midwest chain that now is owned by a company with offices in Florida after General Mills got rid of its chain restaurants.

I've always thought the original ideas for the 2 chains was how Betty Crocker and the Trix Rabbit thought Italian or Seafood should taste.

People like those restaurants (I've eaten in them occasionally too) but they are far from being east coast urban type places.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I've always thought the original ideas for the 2 chains was how Betty Crocker and the Trix Rabbit thought Italian or Seafood should taste.

I like that, very good....

People like those restaurants (I've eaten in them occasionally too) but they are far from being east coast urban type places.

Olive Garden certainly isn't Italian food...
There is a generated air of psuedo class and psuedo sophistication about these chains, small town folk who don't get out much find them 'classy'. A table by the creek at Novo and some of their fine grub is a better deal, and eating on the formica tables at Jocko's is even better.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,061,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
There is a generated air of psuedo class and psuedo sophistication about these chains, small town folk who don't get out much find them 'classy'. A table by the creek at Novo and some of their fine grub is a better deal, and eating on the formica tables at Jocko's is even better.
"Classy" and restaurant chains always reminds me of the story Paul McCartney was telling about 10 or 15 years ago.

Quote:
Heather and I took off up the Pacific Coast Highway past Malibu, in the rain. So we were driving in the rain and we stopped off for lunch at what we thought was a really classy restaurant.

And we got back to the studio and said, "Wow, we had a great day yesterday."

And everyone's saying, "Yeah?"

We said, "Yeah, we stopped at a great classy little restaurant. You probably even know it."

They said, "What was it called?"

"Marie Callender’s."

http://www.rd.com/images/content/101101/Paul_McCartney_interview.pdf

Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Great story... Paul is a bit of alright.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,734,039 times
And Macy's started in downtown New York, the most urban place in America.

And usually Macy's are found in most areas central cities or busiest cities.

ie: Monterey, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, Roseville, Santa Rosa, Visalia, San Rafael, etc...

Olive Garden serves wine and they have some pretty cheap deals. And yes, there are places that are classier than Olive Garden like Novo.

And I think SLO's charm is that it is a small city with a walkable downtown and mountains to hike. Where as Santa Barbara has the downtown and the beach. And Monterey has Cannery Row and the Bay.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:21 AM

388 posts, read 846,649 times
Quote:

ie: Monterey, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, Roseville, Santa Rosa, Visalia, San Rafael, etc...

Olive Garden serves wine and they have some pretty cheap deals. And yes, there are places that are classier than Olive Garden like Novo.

And I think SLO's charm is that it is a small city with a walkable downtown and mountains to hike. Where as Santa Barbara has the downtown and the beach. And Monterey has Cannery Row and the Bay.
Starting the Monday off right...serving wine on the central coast...if only there was an Olive Garden so the people on the central coast could finally get some great wine with their dinners.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,582,558 times
Quote:

So why do you want to destroy all of that? It's already getting more and more congested, and adding more and more crappy chain stores isn't going to help our small town atmosphere. The more generic chains and asphalt go in the less tourists are going to want to visit, and the more locals are going to move away.

And really, you should get your obsession with Macy's checked out...it's a little odd for a teenage boy to be that consumed with a clothing store.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:20 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,734,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So why do you want to destroy all of that? It's already getting more and more congested, and adding more and more crappy chain stores isn't going to help our small town atmosphere. The more generic chains and asphalt go in the less tourists are going to want to visit, and the more locals are going to move away.

And really, you should get your obsession with Macy's checked out...it's a little odd for a teenage boy to be that consumed with a clothing store.
Look at the two "small city", "city"

Cities are full of people from all over, traffic congestion, public transit, chains, global economic system, crime, higher population density, and downtowns with gathering places, government offices, and businesses.

The only damage Macy's will do is probably create more traffic than Forever 21, but it will probably bring in more tax revenue.

And SLO is already a city that is business first, people second.

Cal Poly SLO especially because they want numbers and students who can pay good money, while they ignore local students who are desperate and needy to go college in order to move up from lower to middle class or to remain in the middle class.

SLO, which adds businesses and keeps the downtown area nice, is to attract middle and upper class white, asian, latinos, and other ethnic groups to their small city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California