Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 01:29 PM

20 posts, read 101,133 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Before anything, I would like to thank everybody who reads this and helps me out in this thread, it is greatly appreciated!

I am a 25 year old male currently living in NYC. I work full time in a major retail chain and also am in full-time education majoring in Computer Science. It's quite stressful, but I get by thanks to financial aid from school and carefully managing my spending. I don't earn a lot, but expect to be able to save up anywhere from $10,000 - $15,000 over the next year from excess financial aid, tuition reimbursement, and tax return money. I would like to use this money to (hopefully) move to Southern California, and here's why:

Firstly, as mentioned, I am a computer science major in college and there are many good CompSci schools in California that I am hoping to be able to transfer into. My grades sadly aren't good enough for the top-tier schools such as Stanford and CalTech, however I believe I have a reasonable chance at being accepted into UC Santa Barbara, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UC San Diego and USC, of which all are within the top 50 schools nationwide for Computer Science.

Secondly, I love hot, dry weather. I hate precipitation in any form, I hate cold, I hate clouds and any other form of adverse weather. I can't stand New York winters. I'm a very skinny guy and have to wear layer upon layer just to be something that vaguely resembles warm.

Thirdly, I would like to be within reasonable driving distance of L.A so that I can also pursue acting on the side.

I'm currently paying $725 for my share of the rent, though I could probably do up to $800. This means I'm looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in the $1200 - $1600 a month range, in a nice, safe neighborhood. Of course, some areas are more expensive than others and I will have to be in close proximity of whichever school(s) I get accepted into. I'm not looking to find a roommate, as I will be moving with my mother as she needs my assistance right now.

I should be able to transfer jobs without too much of a problem to maintain my income, potentially even increase it if I can swing a promotion in the process.

My issue is that I need to know which of those schools are just most likely going to be out of the question for my financial situation, and which ones are going to be the best for what I'm looking for, so I can focus my attention on getting into these schools.

Is it possible to find a 2 bedroom apartment in the $1200 - $1600 price range in a good area in SoCal, or should I just forget the whole thing and attempt to stick out another 2 years in a city I really would prefer not to stay in? I really, REALLY do not want to stay here. Yes, I am aware California is not in the best financial situation, but my mood is DRASTICALLY affected by weather and I really want something less crowded, less crazy, and still safe.

Again, thank you to anybody who helps me out with my endeavor, I really appreciate it, as I know this was a lot to read and consider.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Also, I forgot to mention that UC Riverside is also an option, though one I'm less inclined towards.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Anybody?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 PM

559 posts, read 1,378,939 times
If you are serious about acting in the industry, you'll probably be constrained to the production areas of LA, which will eliminate every school on your list save UCLA and USC. If you mean acting in regional theater or taking drama classes at school, then all of your choices are probably still in play.

California does get rain during the winter so if you "hate precipitation in any form," then maybe Nevada or Arizona will give you the aridity you seek (cheaper housing as well). The coastal areas of California get a marine layer of clouds even during the summer, so it's not necessarily going to be hot and sunny 365.

$1200 to $1600 should get you 2 bedrooms in a safe neighborhood. You will have to live frugally but it should be doable. Maybe even split a 1 bedroom.

USC is a private university and is very expensive. The University of California's (UC) are the top tier public universities but you will have to pay out of state tuition which will be expensive but less so than USC. The California State University (CSU) system of public universities is cheaper than the UC's but, again, you will have to pay the higher non-resident rate. The two Cal Poly campuses (San Luis Obispo and Pomona) have great reputations in the technical fields. I don't know about your grades/scores but the getting into the UC's is not trivial. Budget cutbacks have drastically raised public university tuition and fees, and classes have been cut. I don't know anything about CS so you'll have to do some research to find the right program for you.

California has a high cost of living (primarily housing) but it won't be a shock to you as a New Yorker. The unemployment rate is high although if you can transfer with a job, that'll be a big plus. If you just want to move to a warmer, sunnier clime, there are probably many areas in our large country that'll check all your boxes. Moving cross country is probably going to be expensive so weigh carefully before pulling the trigger. Finally, have you tried treating your S.A.D. with light therapy or medication?

On a semi-serious note, many New Yorkers (or the ones who post here) move out west and endlessly complain about pizza, public transportation, Chinese food, etc. Are you prepared to give those up? Best of luck.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:00 PM

74 posts, read 295,107 times
My 1st thoughts on reading your post--UCLA, UC Berkeley, and USC are all top universities, and you won't get in without a 3.6 GPA or higher.

Also, you will have to deal with being 'out of State' for the 1st year as the poster above mentioned. If money is an issue (which it is for all), I would seriously consider saving up, moving out West, and getting your driver's liscence changed to CA, registering tovote, etc.... to get yourself established in CA, and at the same time apply for school for the following year. Otherwise you will pay DOUBLE the 1st year.

Look into the State schools that the poster mentioned. If you don't have great grades, they will propably be your only choice.

A thought on acting- Its a FULL TIME JOB! I don't think you can even hope to Work in retail, go to school for Comp Sci, and get into acting (classes, networking, photos, auditons, etc..) at once.

You need to think things through, and FOCUS.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:07 PM

74 posts, read 295,107 times
Oh.... I am also affected by SAD, and California's light and sun will REALLY help you.

Don't put off your move.... you can do it, but maybe take things step by step. Moving, getting a car (hope you drive?) learning the huge city of LA, finding a flat and roomate, and getting used to your job, should be enough to keep you busy..... you might be able to just take a few classes at one of the colleges and pay out of state fees until you qualify lower fees the next year.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:37 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vashdown View Post
Also, you will have to deal with being 'out of State' for the 1st year as the poster above mentioned. If money is an issue (which it is for all), I would seriously consider saving up, moving out West, and getting your driver's liscence changed to CA, registering tovote, etc.... to get yourself established in CA, and at the same time apply for school for the following year. Otherwise you will pay DOUBLE the 1st year.
I'm quoting the above because it's so important. Out-of-state tuition is ridiculously expensive - and it takes a full year of residency, before you qualify for regular tuition. Make sure you check the dates carefully! You must live here for a full year, before a certain date, to qualify. And check the policies of the school you want to attend - they can vary from school to school.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:25 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD are all world-ranked universities (Top 50 in the world for UCLA and UCSD, top 10 for Berkeley per the US News & World Report ranking system). Therefore, they are very difficult to get into. Given that you don't think you can get into Stanford and Caltech, then you can't get into Berkeley. I would have my doubts about UCLA and UCSD as well, but you haven't revealed your GPA and testing scores.

I'm only familiar with San Diego, so here are some of my thoughts. The UCSD campus is right next to the ocean. The fogs in the area can be damp and cool. However, if you don't live near campus, you can live more cheaply in a warmer inland area.

Also, while there is no acting industry in San Diego, the city does have a pretty strong reputation for theater. Many Broadway plays have started out here to work out the kinks before moving to New York. However, reaching LA for auditions, acting classes, etc, is a 2 1/2 hour drive from San Diego.

Your rental budget looks very reasonable for a decent to nice apartment with good amenities.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I'm quoting the above because it's so important. Out-of-state tuition is ridiculously expensive - and it takes a full year of residency, before you qualify for regular tuition. Make sure you check the dates carefully! You must live here for a full year, before a certain date, to qualify. And check the policies of the school you want to attend - they can vary from school to school.
Unless you're an illegal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California