Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm in the same boat with my home bought in 2004... it is 11k less than what I paid for it and the comps in the neighborhood (All Short Sales or Foreclosed) are down 150k.

The county started a new procedure which requires the payment of a fee and then the county has 2 years to evaluate.

In the past, I had always been successful in appealing Assessments under the informal review process... the new fee Formal Review Program seems to be the only way to get to the hearing process...

Been tempted to sell my home and buy one of the foreclosures in the area just to lock in the lower Base Assessment.
Just incredible what some jurisdictions are doing to hold back a potential flood of reassessment requests. Mine looks like they are trying to get ahead of the game thank goodness.

San Joaquin County just did a reassessment of about 103,000 properties. My house was one of the properties. I just received my new assessment and I am quite pleased with recalculation of value. I'm sure many will not. If you don't like the new assessment you can appeal the decision and ask for an informal review with no fee. Then if you still don't like the decision you can file a formal request of appeal with the County Supervisors Clerk of the Board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 03:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Just incredible what some jurisdictions are doing to hold back a potential flood of reassessment requests. Mine looks like they are trying to get ahead of the game thank goodness.

San Joaquin County just did a reassessment of about 103,000 properties. My house was one of the properties. I just received my new assessment and I am quite pleased with recalculation of value. I'm sure many will not. If you don't like the new assessment you can appeal the decision and ask for an informal review with no fee. Then if you still don't like the decision you can file a formal request of appeal with the County Supervisors Clerk of the Board.
I did that last year and one week after the deadline I was informed the value stands... and it was then too late.

I really think my county is dragging it's feet on these things.

My home is 1725 Ranch Style from 1956/57 that has never been updated.

Neighbor has a 3100 square feet custom home built in 2005 and is now assessed 20% more than mine... he was able to get a 40% reduction...

Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
I did that last year and one week after the deadline I was informed the value stands... and it was then too late.

I really think my county is dragging it's feet on these things.

My home is 1725 Ranch Style from 1956/57 that has never been updated.

Neighbor has a 3100 square feet custom home built in 2005 and is now assessed 20% more than mine... he was able to get a 40% reduction...
Blood suckers trying to hold onto as much revenue as they can even if it screws their constituency.

Ridiculous.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
More nonsense from Tony V, former gang banger, former failed attorney, MEChA member, the man that never met an illegal alien he did not like, incompetent politician that wants to be an actor, etc., we could go on and on. Now he wants to raise taxes on businesses? Just what California needs, more firms shuting down and moving to other states.
Who started the rumor about Tony V having been a member of the Mongols? It's common on the C-D boards but nobody's ever mentioned any proof or even a cite.

In any case whatever one thinks of him (and I agree about the incompetent politician who wants to be an actor part), even a broken clock is right twice a day. If Sarah Palin actually had something to say that would help the state or the country I would not discount it just because Palin was saying it.

Higher property taxes could mean lower corporate taxes and lower payroll taxes.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
I have some friends in Sacramento with a house on 4 acres, located right next to a huge shopping center and mega-church that have grown up around them since they bought it quite some years ago. It's also the only significant undeveloped area property left for miles, but naturally thanks to Prop 13, their taxes have remained ridiculously low and fixed, at least compared to their "neighbors".

Except they're at that age now where they'd like to sell and move to something smaller in a different locale, and obviously they'd make a killing on the sale of their current property. But the prospect of much higher taxes on a newer, though even cheaper place elsewhere discourages them from moving (and naturally from any further development in their area). This can't be an uncommon situation and somehow there seems to be something wrong with this picture that perhaps could be solved to everyone's benefit, with just a bit of "tweaking" of that holiest of holies, Prop 13.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I have some friends in Sacramento with a house on 4 acres, located right next to a huge shopping center and mega-church that have grown up around them since they bought it quite some years ago. It's also the only significant undeveloped area property left for miles, but naturally thanks to Prop 13, their taxes have remained ridiculously low and fixed, at least compared to their "neighbors".

Except they're at that age now where they'd like to sell and move to something smaller in a different locale, and obviously they'd make a killing on the sale of their current property. But the prospect of much higher taxes on a newer, though even cheaper place elsewhere discourages them from moving (and naturally from any further development in their area). This can't be an uncommon situation and somehow there seems to be something wrong with this picture that perhaps could be solved to everyone's benefit, with just a bit of "tweaking" of that holiest of holies, Prop 13.

They need to move to a less expensive place in the same county... there is a provision that allows those that qualify to downsize and transfer their Prop 13 to the new, smaller home...

At one time it was possible to do that even moving to a different county... most no longer have reciprocity.

See Prop 60 and 90...

http://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/faqs...ons60_90.htm#1

It is a common misconception... tell they to start planning...

Hot off the press... Brown comments on Prop 13

Brown says he's not interested in Prop. 13 reforms - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/08/17/3844776/brown-says-hes-not-interested.html - broken link)

Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Doesn't Germany have very low property taxes but very high taxes on everything else? A higher total tax burden, though.

California's fiscal model is unfortunately already quite European with Prop 13 keeping property taxes down but all other taxes high.

If it were possible, I would rather have very high property taxes and low or no taxes on everything else.
Interestingly, most of the states many on here like to bash have that formula - low state income taxes, low to moderate sales tax and property taxes a bit higher than here. Even now very purple states like Virginia are like this.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
More nonsense from Tony V, former gang banger, former failed attorney, MEChA member, the man that never met an illegal alien he did not like, incompetent politician that wants to be an actor, etc., we could go on and on. Now he wants to raise taxes on businesses? Just what California needs, more firms shuting down and moving to other states.
I view him more as a typical quasi-hippie 1970s Westwood bonger.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:19 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
typical quasi-hippie 1970s communist Westwood bonger
Antonio Villar(aigosa) – UCLA MEChista

Old 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
They need to move to a less expensive place in the same county... there is a provision that allows those that qualify to downsize and transfer their Prop 13 to the new, smaller home...

At one time it was possible to do that even moving to a different county... most no longer have reciprocity.

See Prop 60 and 90...

Frequently Asked Questions - Exclusions from Reappraisal Propositions 60/90 - Board of Equalization

It is a common misconception... tell they to start planning...

Hot off the press... Brown comments on Prop 13

Brown says he's not interested in Prop. 13 reforms - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/08/17/3844776/brown-says-hes-not-interested.html - broken link)
Good suggestion re: moving in county, except I think like a lot of folks, they'd prefer to leave Sacto and move out to the coast... to possibly pricier digs, albeit preferably with similar taxes to what they enjoy now (yeah, I know, good luck with that one...LOL)!

Re: Prop 13, Brown's a pretty shrewd cookie, and I think he recognizes the importance of "picking your battles" (and timing)!

BTW, when did Cali politics get so "southern-fried", that folks don't even feel compelled to speak to the issues anymore, they just go straight for the childish character assassinations ("former gang bangers", "MEChA member", blah-blah...)?! Or maybe it's just another way some folks want us to be "more like Texas"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California