Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,344,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
typical quasi-hippie 1970s communist Westwood bonger
Antonio Villar(aigosa) – UCLA MEChista

Gotta love the belt - aren't those back in again? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:28 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,540,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Interestingly, most of the states many on here like to bash have that formula - low state income taxes, low to moderate sales tax and property taxes a bit higher than here. Even now very purple states like Virginia are like this.
The Pacific Northwest states have that formula as well.

I was talking about an ideal situation. I realize that's not likely to happen in California any time soon if in my lifetime at all.

The 19th century populist Henry George, who spent part of his active political life in San Francisco, thought the property tax was the only legitimate tax.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:49 AM

28,111 posts, read 63,536,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Pacific Northwest states have that formula as well.

I was talking about an ideal situation. I realize that's not likely to happen in California any time soon if in my lifetime at all.

The 19th century populist Henry George, who spent part of his active political life in San Francisco, thought the property tax was the only legitimate tax.
George advocated common ownership of land, elimination of tariffs, was racist towards Chinese immigrants and had no problems with National Debt...

Old 08-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
George advocated common ownership of land, elimination of tariffs, was racist towards Chinese immigrants and had no problems with National Debt...
I came about my views independently of George but someone compared my views to him so I did some research into him. I'm not saying I agree with all or most of his views, and don't even agree with his view of the Single Tax, I just think he was on to something when he emphasized property taxation over other taxes. Which is not the same thing as saying that it should be the only tax (maybe in an ideal world, but that's far from the one we live in).

What person involved in 19th Century California politics WASN'T racist towards Chinese immigrants? There didn't appear to be too many whites in 19th century California who weren't racist against Asians, period, let alone those who were politically involved. When Teddy Roosevelt forced California to eliminate segregated schools for Asians in order to avoid war with Japan in the 20th century's first decade, he was condemned in every newspaper in the state. (Interestingly, but not surprisingly, Japan threatened war against the US not because it was angry about Japanese kids not being able to go to the same schools as white kids, but because it was angry about Japanese being put in the same category as Chinese and Koreans.)

Old 08-19-2011, 03:49 PM

28,111 posts, read 63,536,638 times
Quote:
I came about my views independently of George but someone compared my views to him so I did some research into him. I'm not saying I agree with all or most of his views, and don't even agree with his view of the Single Tax, I just think he was on to something when he emphasized property taxation over other taxes. Which is not the same thing as saying that it should be the only tax (maybe in an ideal world, but that's far from the one we live in).

What person involved in 19th Century California politics WASN'T racist towards Chinese immigrants? There didn't appear to be too many whites in 19th century California who weren't racist against Asians, period, let alone those who were politically involved. When Teddy Roosevelt forced California to eliminate segregated schools for Asians in order to avoid war with Japan in the 20th century's first decade, he was condemned in every newspaper in the state. (Interestingly, but not surprisingly, Japan threatened war against the US not because it was angry about Japanese kids not being able to go to the same schools as white kids, but because it was angry about Japanese being put in the same category as Chinese and Koreans.)

I just found it interesting that he was for free trade by eliminating tariffs on one hand and then wanted a quota in Chinese because they would undercut whites in the labor market.

I have a very good friend that is Japanese and another that is Chinese... they are both in their 90's and over the years it was very eye opening on the rare ocasions they would reminisce about the good and bad of being born and raised in California way back then...

My Chinese friend worked in the fields for my Japanese friend in 1940... I was responsible for getting them together about 20 years ago after saying to each, you need to meet the other.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:06 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,144,570 times
Gee an LA liberal talking about raising property taxes to pay for his underclass minions, color me shocked!

Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Gee an LA liberal talking about raising property taxes to pay for his underclass minions, color me shocked!
LA politicians talking about raising property taxes is about as common as Texas politicians talking about legalizing same sex marriage.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,958,772 times
Quote:
LA politicians talking about raising property taxes is about as common as Texas politicians talking about legalizing same sex marriage.
What are you smoking?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
What are you smoking?
Irrelevant. L.A. and California politicians in general rarely talk about raising property taxes, they like many posters on C-D favor low property taxes but high fines, fees, and sales taxes - the fiscal model that got CA into big trouble is surprisingly still popular with some.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,958,772 times
Quote:
Irrelevant. L.A. and California politicians in general rarely talk about raising property taxes, they like many posters on C-D favor low property taxes but high fines, fees, and sales taxes - the fiscal model that got CA into big trouble is surprisingly still popular with some.
Changing or eliminating prop 13 has been a popular topic from local/state politicians and the people on C-D for a long time now.

I can see it now ... eliminate prop 13 and we will see millions of families and retired Californians loose their homes because they don't have the money to pay the increase taxes. Good plan California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California