Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,138,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Funny! When I first started working I was supposed to know at least rudimentary skills necessary for the job. Why should housekeepers be any different? Rather than every employer establishing a training program, aren't there unions that would be happy to do it? Perhaps the community colleges could offer courses in bed-making, bathroom scrubbing, trash dumping and carpet vacuuming.

If you get the feeling I'm making light of this, bravo! You get it. More dumbing down of America. Heaven forbid people should be skilled enough and fit enough to do the job for which they've been hired. Instead, let's saddle employers with even more costs. That makes sense - NOT!
Are you saying that, if some hotel housekeepers are dumb enough to earn lower back injuries on the job, it's entirely their fault for being too unskilled / too untrained / whatever, and the society should not make any effort to prevent this?

If so, why would that be limited to housekeepers? How about construction workers? I'm sure that their employers would love to save some money on helmets and safety harnesses, and, if some employee is dumb enough to fall off the roof, it's all his fault.

Likewise, what's the deal with painting contractors being required by law to provide respirator masks to employees? They should be smart enough to know to bring their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,377,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Are you saying that, if some hotel housekeepers are dumb enough to earn lower back injuries on the job, it's entirely their fault for being too unskilled / too untrained / whatever, and the society should not make any effort to prevent this?

If so, why would that be limited to housekeepers? How about construction workers? I'm sure that their employers would love to save some money on helmets and safety harnesses, and, if some employee is dumb enough to fall off the roof, it's all his fault.

Likewise, what's the deal with painting contractors being required by law to provide respirator masks to employees? They should be smart enough to know to bring their own.
Take this line of "progressive" thinking far enough and the next stop on the rail will be nobody works at anything at which they may break a nail and productivity comes to a screaching halt.

Perhaps we should simply be born and then encased in a protective bubble thoughtfully provided by nanny government lest we stub a toe or suffer some other dire injury somewhere along life's road.

I know this is a radical thought but have you ever heard of personal responsibility? Oh, my! Or accountability?

Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,697,731 times
I'm actually flabbergasted that you all are actually debating the relative merits and reason of such a law. Astounding.

It occurred to me upon first reading that there is nothing and no way any activity involving the installation OF BEDSHEETS should be criminalized by California state law. (Read the proposal, it will make flat bedsheets A CRIME.)

Insanity, complete raving lunacy, to criminalize bedsheet installation period, in any way, shape, or form. The whole idea is derailed government madness.

Is this the kind of burning *issue* the People of California want their legislators to address?? Is this a kind of detrimental activity that needs to be criminalized? Are there not enough people in the criminal justice system now for penny-ante foolishness that California needs to criminalize some off-the-wall bedsheet labor rights work issue?

Um, if there is a worker injury problem, could it not be solved better without involving criminal penalties?

Government gone madddog crazy.

Build more prisons. Create more criminals. Fill prisons. Pat self on back.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,377,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Is this the kind of burning *issue* the People of California want their legislators to address??
In a word, "YES!"

Ya gotta set yur priorities, dontcha know!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:04 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,542,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I'm actually flabbergasted that you all are actually debating the relative merits and reason of such a law. Astounding.

It occurred to me upon first reading that there is nothing and no way any activity involving the installation OF BEDSHEETS should be criminalized by California state law. (Read the proposal, it will make flat bedsheets A CRIME.)

Insanity, complete raving lunacy, to criminalize bedsheet installation period, in any way, shape, or form. The whole idea is derailed government madness.

Is this the kind of burning *issue* the People of California want their legislators to address?? Is this a kind of detrimental activity that needs to be criminalized? Are there not enough people in the criminal justice system now for penny-ante foolishness that California needs to criminalize some off-the-wall bedsheet labor rights work issue?

Um, if there is a worker injury problem, could it not be solved better without involving criminal penalties?

Government gone madddog crazy.

Build more prisons. Create more criminals. Fill prisons. Pat self on back.
Hey, what do you expect. We just decriminalized pot smoking. Of course we are going to criminalize flat sheets. It causes far more harm to people that pot

But seriously, if you are going to pass the law, don't make it a crime.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:26 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,139,630 times
The state finds the time to find new things to outlaw like hotel mattresses, mean while we let people who commit homicide free after they serve 6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: