Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 9,078 times

Advertisements

I have been stuck living in Grass Valley for the past 7 years. Thank God I did not raise my sons in this town for there is nothing for kids to do. A light has appeared at the end of the tunnel and I am moving to San Diego!
The barometric pressure in Nevada County is intolerable and makes many of us sick. Many months in the Winter my decks are a sheet of frozen ice and Nevada County gets any chance of rain predicted while Sacramento, Roseville, etc., get missed by it. For the most part people here i.e. adults and children are unsocialized. Local police could care less about the growing Mexican Mafia Marijuana plantations and would rather catch the guy (and there are MANY of them here!) riding his bicycle (probably too many DUI's) with one vial of Meth or a small about of Marijuana. Police pretty much do what they want here. A little bit scary, actually.
No, don't move to Grass Valley or Nevada City for it would probably turn out to be something you regret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 11,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpod View Post
Grass Valley is an ugly giant trailer park full of rednecks, meth freaks and white trash. The Bay people and SoCalers stay out of things for the most hunkering around their thousands when they sold out their condos for half a million. The place is getting overdeveloped with one giant ugly hotel downtown that kills the whole "small town" thing and a nightmare RV Sales park to the east. The creek is totally polluted and the place is about as progressive in its politics as the Flintstones. And lets not forget the GOLD MINE opening near the center of town. This will be lovely. People hate nature here, cut down trees because of "fire" and are ignorant about it. There are FOUR subdivisions planned here of at least 1000 homes each. All it is now is an extension of the crap from the valley. Move somewhere else. This is our advice. We are.
Beanpod.....are you a resident there?

Please back up your observations?

Just trashing a place isn't really constructive at all........

WillieG

Old 11-07-2008, 09:06 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpod View Post
Grass Valley is an ugly giant trailer park full of rednecks, meth freaks and white trash.
And granolas/Gen-Y ers next door in Nevada City "doing theater" and serving coffee during the day.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 10,510 times
Default Yes, say no, no, no to Grass Valley!

My husband and I moved here 7 years ago from Minneapolis to get involved in a family business, which turned out to be a huge mistake. Not only has the business gone badly, I simply detest living in GV and have since day one. It is like being at the end of the line for me compared to such a beautiful and vibrant city as Minneapolis. I will spend my life regretting this decision, and especially since I did not set eyes on this place before agreeing with my husband to do this. Never again will that happen! I cannot get over how expensive it is to live here, and the wages are deplorable for most people. How do people live I wonder? I have worked as a substitute in the GV schools, and thank heavens our kids were independent before we moved here because I never would have sent them to these schools. The GV middle school is just plain dirty and the teachers indifferent. The high school that most kids must attend is also going downhill.

We have had our home on the market for over 3 years now. I am beginning to think that I will be trapped forever in this place. We joined a church here, and I could not believe how unfriendly the people were there to newcomers. I wanted to serve and be involved, but I could see one had to pay their dues for about 10 years before that could happen. After 2 years, I left. I hate the lack of decent shopping here, the long, gloomy rainy winters, total lace of municipal parks, bike trails etc, all the tattoed wierdos I see in K-Mart and other stores, the lack of community, the provincial outlook etc. I have sunk into such a depression just living here and cannot wait until God releases us from this place!

Don't ever think of moving to Grass Valley!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:12 AM

607 posts, read 2,356,836 times
Have not ever lived there, but travel there frequently for work. Several observations: Beautiful setting with postcard downtowns, foothill living with a lot of forested vegetation, see all 4 seasons, close enough to High Sierras yet able to get back to SF/Bay Area for visits, can still get to the coast within several hours drive, small town atmosphere. My wife and I like to go there for a date or just to get away. On the other hand, locals would give you better feedback on the school systems, political views and overall vibe of the towns. Coming from another "Gold Country" town, I would buy here before buying in larger cities. Oh well, good luck!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 AM

146 posts, read 446,448 times
Wow. I came to this thread late, I know... but I just had to share my opinion and insights on GV as I'm a proud GV local!

First of all... the sheer variety of opinions here pretty much fit what Grass Valley is... a sheer melting pot of city, suburbia, and nature. I'm a college student going back and forth from GV to DC, so I know how it feels to be transplanted from a completely different place. That said, GV is kind of a "love it or hate it" town. As I've been raised in GV, I've grown to love it, but of course I can see why some people would hate it. On one hand, there's all the beauty - rivers, forests, lakes, farms, etc - but on the other hand, there is a lot of white trash here. (No offense meant to anyone.) I go to the county fair almost every year, and see white trash everywhere. However, GV is filled with a lot of brilliant people - I've personally met and known some very brilliant people working at various places. Another big con is the limited shopping options, but that's kind of because I become spoiled by DC's shopping ... but if you have basic needs, GV will definitely more than meet your needs. Four grocery stores (Raley's is my personal favorite - I love their Mexican food to go!), a Kmart (ick), a Staples (yeah!), TrueValue, and many small mom&pop stores would meet your basic needs, and like others in this thread has mentioned, Auburn holds more chains and is only a 25-30 minute drive (beware of CHP on 49, though).

I guess there's not really much I can say that's unique or new to this thread, but I think a visit would be best to do before moving. If you're from a huge city like San Francisco, Los Angeles, NYC, etc and want a new start, go for GV. If you're a country boy/girl, and want a fast-paced lifestyle, GV isn't going to be for you. Likewise, some city people looking for an escape will hate GV - too much smog, not much chain shopping options, etc. Honestly, GV is unique in the respect that while it has pretty much everything (shopping, restaurants, things to do), when you really think about it, there's not a whole much to do/see.

If you have more questions for this local, please do ask. But definitely do check out GV/NC...and don't be afraid to check out the back roads and not-often-traveled spots. You may just find your treasure.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:10 AM

762 posts, read 2,019,214 times
Hippier and artsier than most places. You will see dreads at any given park at any give day. Also mixed with bay area transplants I think. Lots of retired people. Communes in area, kids without running water will go to the LARGE high school too: diverse in a sense. I liked it there, but it is too expensive for its lack of economy. It is too removed from Sac, but not removed enough to make the drive worth it. Winters are no big deal, worse in Neva City. Very pretty. Yuba river beautiful. Close to skiing.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 AM

3 posts, read 14,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
If you have more questions for this local, please do ask. But definitely do check out GV/NC...and don't be afraid to check out the back roads and not-often-traveled spots. You may just find your treasure.
I'm from Sacramento but have spent the last six months or so frequently visiting both GV and NC. I absolutely love the vibe these towns have, and everyone seems quite friendly. But I'm curious what is there to do for young people? I'm 20, so just short of going to a bar. Is it easy to meet people here? Thanks a bunch!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM

322 posts, read 775,979 times
I've lived in GV before and the thing that drove me nuts was the traffic in town and the very few roads there are to go on when going about your daily business. Its like, you see the same stuff over and over again because of the lack of stores and roads. And you have to sit in traffic the whole time.

I love the weather; but in some forested areas it snows really, really bad. There are areas where the snow doesn't stay long, like on Cypress Hill.

There's also nothing to do for just about any age. There are a few bars (mostly in Nevada City). All the wealthy retired folk from the Bay Area have staked out their places in Nevada City but I have no idea what they do to keep from getting bored. A lot of classes and social activities revolve around the St Joseph's cultural center where the Dali Lama's monks visit every year.

They have about every kind of support group there you can think of (just look in the newspaper). And they take care of their mentally ill very well; they have a whole house called Spirit where the mentally ill can hang out and eat and there are big dinners there. They also have an excellent traveling homeless shelter in the winter (goes to a different church every night). Churches of all kinds can be found in GV. As small as this place is, I can't believe how many different churches are accomodated.

The groceries are expensive, so the big shopping place/hang out is the Grocery Outlet, where you can't get anything from your list. (Must watch for sales at Safeway). There's a Winco and two super Walmarts about a half hour away in Marysville and Yuba City but people usually grocery shop in town and are "unsocialized" like one person noted.

Its true that the government there is ridiculously conservative, and its true that the police do any damn thing they want. Very true. Also, you will find many people with bad attitudes in this area. They can be gossipy, uppity, rude and downright mean. Just try dealing with the courthouse or any place like that. Also, you never ever want to use a veterinarian in this area. They are overpriced and many are incompetent. It's worth it to take your critters out of town.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:02 PM

23 posts, read 60,275 times
We considered moving there to be closer to family, decided not to. The schools rated far below what we have now, throw in a meth bust at the high school last year (I know!) it was not encouraging. The housing is cheap because the market is crashing there, but what that means is services and schools are going to suffer.

Shopping, for things like Target you'll have to drive into Auburn or Sac- which can be a PIA if you hit rush hour.

The winters aren't brutal for me, but we live in E WA now, but the smog we saw in the summer was a big bummer. It also seemed very crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California