Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Strange?

Oh well, I dont drink alcohol but if theyre buying our stuff in other states that's even better.
California tops list for producing most beer | abc7.com
I can believe it ... California is big on kool-aid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 01:40 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I'd imagine that Sierra Nevada is the tops for the craft beers. Budweiser and Miller probable make up a huge chunk of those barrels produced in California.

However, I can count five Microbreweries within 15 minutes of my house. One within walking distance.
Just need one close enough for the pub crawl home.
I have a kegerator in the garage. You have to really like a beer to buy 2000 ounces of it. Some micro beers are great by the pint but after a few gallons you may get tired of it.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Second only to sour dough bread and Dungeness crabs, the only good thing to ever come out of San Francisco.
Levis
It's It
Fortune Cookie
White chocolate and macadamia nut cookies
Ghirardelli chocolate
Cioppino
"Pre-Nations Bank" Bank of America (damn North Carolina carpetbaggers)
Irish Coffee
Mai Tai
Green Goddess dressing
Gallo Salami
"The Streets of San Francisco" (A Quinn Martin production!)
Jefferson Airplane
Carlos Santana
Grateful Dead
Barbara Eden
Carol Channing
Jerry Garcia
Danny Glover
Mel Blanc
Clint Eastwood
Johnny Mathis
Dashiell Hammett
Jack London
Bruce Lee
Bill Bixby
Joe DiMaggio

There are lots of things.

Last edited by jeffredo; 08-25-2011 at 03:04 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin-on-up2011 View Post
I second that. What beers are made here? I miss Leinenkugel beer SO much! I wish some places here would sell it!!
For starters, there's that Van Nuys place, then there is a big brewery somewhere in Pasadena that you can see from the 210 freeway, and probably many others. And there's a large number of craft breweries. Though only a few produce significant output. The top 3 California craft breweries are Sierra Nevada (780,000 barrels/year), Stone (115,000 barrels/year), and Lagunitas (105,000 barrels/year).

Old 08-25-2011, 03:13 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
I second that. What beers are made here? I miss Leinenkugel beer SO much! I wish some places here would sell it!!
I've seen Leinenkugel at BevMo though they only ever seem to have some of their more eccentric beers like fruity stuff, not their regular beer. Leinie is ok but I've never thought it was much to write home about, it's one of those beers like Blue Moon that taste and feel like they are made with low-quality water.

As for CA beers, here are some though I'm sure you can find better lists:

California breweries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jupiter in Berkeley has quite good Kolsch. I had an "IPAX" beer at Triple Rock recently and enjoyed it. Sierra Nevada is meh to me but lots of people love it. Stone stuff is decent, I like Arrogant Bastard. Gordon Biersch is ok though so inoffensive it's a bit bland. Trumer is a decent pilsner. The Denogginizer from Drake's will knock you on your butt. North Coast is ok but I don't think I've had anything by them that I really liked, they like to do Belgian style beers which I usually like but the stuff by them I've tried I found to have kind of a funny taste, like Pranqster. 21st Amendment beers I've never really liked but I've only had a few. Anchor Steam is legendary and very decent. Speakeasy stuff I've tried I didn't like much but that's because I'm picky about hoppy beers and I didn't care for theirs, same story with Lagunitas. The only thing I've tried from Lost Coast is their Great White beer, which is really very good, I discovered it recently and have been enjoying it.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times
Quote:
We're talking about beer manufacturing plants, not necessarily beer companies that have their headquarters here. For example, there is the huge Anheuser-Busch plant where they make Budweiser, etc., right in the middle of Van Nuys.

I'd bet that every major American beer has a plant -- maybe several plants -- in California.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
California has lots of good beer, and this article is proof that we need to drink more of it. I already gave us a head start, don't worry.

Partial list of Bay Area brewers:

Anchor
Lagunitas
Bear Republic
Russian River
Moonlight
21st Amendment
Trumer
Speakeasy
Gordon Biersch
Moylan's

And elsewhere in Nor Cal we have stuff like Sierra Nevada, Mendocino Brewing, North Coast, Anderson valley...And then there's everything else in the state too. Not too shabby, California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Second only to sour dough bread and Dungeness crabs, the only good thing to ever come out of San Francisco.
Dungeness crabs do not come from San Francisco, they come from the ocean.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
For starters, there's that Van Nuys place, then there is a big brewery somewhere in Pasadena that you can see from the 210 freeway, and probably many others. And there's a large number of craft breweries. Though only a few produce significant output. The top 3 California craft breweries are Sierra Nevada (780,000 barrels/year), Stone (115,000 barrels/year), and Lagunitas (105,000 barrels/year).
I drink all of those brands regularly. I had no idea Sierra Nevada had grown to that size. Good for them.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:30 PM

105 posts, read 306,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Levis
It's It
Fortune Cookie
White chocolate and macadamia nut cookies
Ghirardelli chocolate
Cioppino
"Pre-Nations Bank" Bank of America (damn North Carolina carpetbaggers)
Irish Coffee
Mai Tai
Green Goddess dressing
Gallo Salami
"The Streets of San Francisco" (A Quinn Martin production!)
Jefferson Airplane
Carlos Santana
Grateful Dead
Barbara Eden
Carol Channing
Jerry Garcia
Danny Glover
Mel Blanc
Clint Eastwood
Johnny Mathis
Dashiell Hammett
Jack London
Bruce Lee
Bill Bixby
Joe DiMaggio

There are lots of things.
It's It are the bomb. So are the hot fudge Sundae's at Ghirardelli square.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Yeah, does Anheuser still have that huge plant in the middle of Van Nuys?
Don't know about Van Nuys, but the one in Fairfield is HUGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California