Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 01:10 AM

27 posts, read 120,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmama View Post
If you live in the eastern San Gabriel valley. Both of my sons have done it. Drive 38 miles to Huntington Beach for an AM surf session (with a wetsuit). Go home, have a lunch break, grab your snow gear, and head to Mt High (in Wrightwood), 49 miles, or if there's been a good, recent snowfall, a good base, and you're not a raw beginner, just head up to Mt Baldy, only 18 miles and w/o much freeway traffic if you take local streets. You should enjoy the pines and other trees we have there, too. (Yep, there's also lots of trees, though some areas have been hit hard by bark beetles and wildfires.)

Much as I prefer the Bay Area, neither sport is as accessible There as it is from the LA basin/SG Valley. Yes, we have bigger mountains (the San Gabriel & San Bernardino ranges) than the coast range's gentle contours. The Sierras are wonderful, but not very enjoyable for a one day ski/board trip.
That's actually the main reason I would lean toward SoCal; I'm a huge outdoors nut, and while it IS possible to drive up to the Sierras or even the Mendocino ranges to find some snow to romp in from the Bay Area...it's an all day trip just to get there, whereas from the coast around LA, it's maybe an hour drive at most and you're in the snow! Heck, you can even see snow from the beach there! My only thought was that maybe because it's drier the mountains don't get as much snow there, but it sounds like it stays on the mountaintops for a good bit of the year, so maybe it's similar to the Sierras around Tahoe after all

And if I'm not mistaken, there's really NO place around the Bay Area that makes surfing very pleasant ANY time of year - it's just too darn cold!

You raise a good point, no nice coastal forests like there are around San Francisco...but it's only a short drive to the mountains where you've got pine forests a-plenty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmama View Post
Living in the SG valley for 20+ years, I'd say an average summer day would be 85 to 88. On AVERAGE. We have a fair share of 90+ days, maybe 10 triple digit days. But we also have a good amount of 75-85 degree days.

It's usually tolerable, though I miss my 65-75 summers in the Bay Area, where we never had A/C or even a fan, and didn't miss it.
Right - that would be the main thing I'd miss too; I do love the year-round cool weather! But doesn't the coast around Santa Monica, Malibu, and Santa Barbara have a PRETTY similar climate to the Bay Area actually, if a few degrees warmer...and even though it warms up pretty quickly just a few miles inland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 02:34 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times
SF Pro's: Not one but 2 NFL teams(since Oakland is part of the SF Metropolitan area) while L.A. obviously has zero because people there don't care, because they are comfortable and content with having to settle for USC and UCLA, sorry but USC and UCLA don't count, I don't get why they are viewed as Pro teams there when in reality they are not. SF Con's: No Major theme park such as Disneyland, Knott's, Six-Flags, although there is one Theme Park in the Bay Area but forgot the name of it, but it is probably not big since the media does not talk about it, otherwise I would know the name of it. L.A. Con's: More Crime, More Street Gangs there.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
SF Pro's: Not one but 2 NFL teams(since Oakland is part of the SF Metropolitan area) while L.A. obviously has zero because people there don't care, because they are comfortable and content with having to settle for USC and UCLA, sorry but USC and UCLA don't count, I don't get why they are viewed as Pro teams there when in reality they are not. SF Con's: No Major theme park such as Disneyland, Knott's, Six-Flags, although there is one Theme Park in the Bay Area but forgot the name of it, but it is probably not big since the media does not talk about it, otherwise I would know the name of it. L.A. Con's: More Crime, More Street Gangs there.
There are two theme parks in the Bay Area. For starters, Six Flags is a company not a park. They own theme parks one of which happens to be in the Bay Area, Discovery Kingdom. So yes the Bay Area does have a Six Flags park.

The other park is Great America which happens to be owned by the same company that owns Knott's Berry Farm. Incidentally, Great America has almost all the same rides that Magic Mountain (the Six Flags park you were thinking of) has and in most cases, had them first. Free Fall for example is the edge at Great America if they still have it. Great America had it first.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:18 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Los Angeles is San Francisco with weather done right.
San Francisco is Los Angeles with air quality done right

Old 09-07-2011, 05:29 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
There are two theme parks in the Bay Area. For starters, Six Flags is a company not a park. They own theme parks one of which happens to be in the Bay Area, Discovery Kingdom. So yes the Bay Area does have a Six Flags park.

The other park is Great America which happens to be owned by the same company that owns Knott's Berry Farm. Incidentally, Great America has almost all the same rides that Magic Mountain (the Six Flags park you were thinking of) has and in most cases, had them first. Free Fall for example is the edge at Great America if they still have it. Great America had it first.
There's also the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and Gilroy Gardens. Both much smaller than Six Flags or Great America, and on outer fringes of the Bay...but they're there. The Boardwalk is cool of course, though i've never actually been to Gilroy Gardens and can't say if it's that good.

Also LOL at that guy thinking any theme parks here are small just because "the media doesn't talk about them". Since when did the media ever really talk about any theme parks besides local ones in the first place (Disneyland/world excepted)?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
rep yo parx, foolz

Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
rep yo parx, foolz
Theme Park 4 lyfe! North side rollercoaster mob ain't no punks.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:11 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
San Francisco is Los Angeles with air quality done right
I went for a bike ride a few days ago in that "terrible" smog. See photos... oh, wait- what "smog?"

Photos: Aug. 31, 2011

Old 09-08-2011, 03:17 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
No, it's not. I've lived in Northridge. It's just plain miserable down there.
Lol. How so?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
There's also the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and Gilroy Gardens. Both much smaller than Six Flags or Great America, and on outer fringes of the Bay...but they're there. The Boardwalk is cool of course, though i've never actually been to Gilroy Gardens and can't say if it's that good.

Also LOL at that guy thinking any theme parks here are small just because "the media doesn't talk about them". Since when did the media ever really talk about any theme parks besides local ones in the first place (Disneyland/world excepted)?
Good points rah. There are many smaller places around the Bay Area that just don't seem to exist in SoCal much. Children's Fairyland comes to mind. A very small place but great if you have children and can't get to one of the bigger major parks and you live locally. The Little Farm in Tilden Park is another not to mention the park itself. It's the little local charms like these that make an area special, not so much the big corporate places. But the Bay Area has those too for those who want it. Choices are the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California