Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 04:23 PM

10 posts, read 25,821 times
I am 1/2 of a retiring couple. We currently live in Michigan, cold, sad and backsliding. Our town is in a terrible state, it once was a wealthy area and now it is a very low income area where my doctor tells me 80% of the Vicodin, Norco etc prescriptions written in the state have been written. The crime rates are high and gangs are active. The cold is miserable and we just want out of here. I've been looking all over the internet and reading info about Salton City, we are contemplating a move there. The housing prices are low and most of it is attributed to the unuseability and smell of the Salton Sea. We are not looking for a lake to hang out at and the smell couldn't be worse than the factory stench here in many towns of Michigan. We spent a couple of years in Arizona and love the desert, mountains and camping we simply love nature, wildlife, and small towns. Don't bother rambling on about the smell, that's most of what everyone says things about.......but if anyone has positive input or suggestions I'd love to hear it. Salton Sea area is about the only California locale we can afford on our retirement income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 PM

Default Addendum .............

Well, I've made the decision to take a few days in Salton City, I want to see the area firsthand. I am a Masters Level Social Worker and also have been qualified in Michigan to be a substitute teacher. I just have a feeling that this is what we need to look at. I think we would be a good addition to the "neighborhood". Anyone out there with info for me???? Where is there for me to stay, any hotels, B&B's or motels in the area?????? I also need to know which airport is best to fly into, I'll rent a car from there.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I'd check out California City also. It offers inexpensive desert living, but with more amenities. What is your price range? I know people who are picking up excellent houses in the Lucerne Valley area for 35 to 50k. You're really going to be isolated in Salton City.

I assume you have no problem with living virtually on top of the San Andreas Fault? Because that's where Salton City is.

Your closest international airports are PSP, ONT and SAN. And Yuma.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
If you think Michigan is depressing, just wait 'til you experience Salton City!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 PM

Default Thanks everyone.........

I really appreciate all the input. As for fears of the San Andreas Fault.....when it's my time, I'm ready. And remember, if that fault really acts up then more than little Salton City will be affected. A priest I respected greatly gave me a very good piece of advice for anyone afraid of dying...."none of us are getting out of here alive" I've never been fearful of death since then, he was totally right! Our whole desire is to be in an isolated area, I don't dislike people but we aren't looking for a bunch of neighbors to hang out with. We once lived in Montana, the town we lived 9 miles outside of our nearest neighbor was roughly 5 miles away and we had 80 acres of land. It was wonderful but there was no industry so hubby couldn't get a job. Back to Michigan.......
Later we bought 25 acres in the desert outside the city of Maricopa, again, not enough work. Back to Michigan....... We kept the land for 12 yrs but then found developers had way over-populated the area and over built, so we sold it....nowhere we ever wanted to live. My desire is to be isolated. Really wish we could afford enough land to get at least one horse, a few chickens and maybe a goat or two. Would love to find someone who would give us a land contract on a small acreage plot even with a small cabin or mobile home, some isolated land would be ideal. Certainly don't need Walmart, Safeway etc............can always make a drive now and then for supplies. Do I need to ship my tent out there when I come to look around or is there some sort of B&B or Motel? No more negatives please people, I've been researching and exploring data for weeks, if you can help, it's appreciated. If we ended up with a house in town we'd be good neighbors and an asset..........

Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
The san andreas fault won't kill you, it will just knock your trailer off its blocks, break your gas line, and with the last gasp from the pilot light, blow the damned thing up, that might kill you.

Hint, if you feel your trailer fall off its blocks, run like hell. and do not light a cigarette.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Not sure if there are any motels left, but there is an RV park.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Default Please note: .Highnlite

I'm not quite sure what made you assume we would live in a trailer, but as for the advice.....thank you. Have you ever thought of writing for a living? Great imagery..........

Old 01-27-2012, 10:41 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gougeon View Post
I'm not quite sure what made you assume we would live in a trailer, but as for the advice.....thank you. Have you ever thought of writing for a living? Great imagery..........
Maybe it was this part of your post that gave him the idea:

" ... Would love to find someone who would give us a land contract on a small acreage plot even with a small cabin or mobile home, some isolated land would be ideal. ..."

People tend to use the terms 'trailer' and 'mobile home' synonymously.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:10 PM

Could be, but believe me that would be my last choice. I've not only lived in a mobile home/trailer in years past, but worked at a factory where they were built.
We are looking for a home, and stability, not a trailer up on blocks. I'd not feel comfortable with that, especially in an earthquake prone state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California