Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,662,415 times

Advertisements

The entire North Coast is reeling from the news that a well-beloved Ft Bragg councilman was killed in cold blood while doing a timber survey. It happened so close to the Skunk Train tracks that passengers heard the gunshots. There is a witness and a suspect but he has not been apprehended. Details in the morning's Times-Standard or Press-Democrat. Sorry, I can't do links. This may or may not have been near a MJ or poppy grow. I'm betting it was. Tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 02:10 PM

457 posts, read 1,178,337 times
Various news outlets already put out that this was next to a marijuana grow. It's sad and unfortunate.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,124,753 times
Here is a link to the story:

Officials mourn loss of Fort Bragg councilman Jere Melo - Times-Standard Online

Interesting quote from the story:

Humboldt County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Wayne Hanson said the problem has clearly been growing over the last decade or so.

”It's dangerous out there,” Hanson said, adding that he frequently finds firearms and ammunition at camp sites on large-scale grows. “If I had family members, I wouldn't let them go out into the woods this time of year. I wouldn't want to be a forester or an owl counter. It's extremely dangerous.”

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,635,072 times
It has been a problem for a long time, apparently this shooter was an anglo American. There is also an increasing danger from the Mexican cartel grower operations.

The best reason I can think of for legalizing it, get the illegal and paranoid out of our public lands.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:00 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,539,345 times
The reports I read indicated he was specifically going out there to investigate an illegal grow reported by a timber company. Why would he, and not law enforcement do that?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,539,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
It has been a problem for a long time, apparently this shooter was an anglo American. There is also an increasing danger from the Mexican cartel grower operations.

The best reason I can think of for legalizing it, get the illegal and paranoid out of our public lands.
Another option, have an open hunting season on growers....

Surely I gest, but only a little. Only legalizing it at the federal level would "help" eliminate the illegal grows. However, if the bureaucracy and taxes associated with it are sufficiently high they will still continue. Even sans bureaucracy and taxes they will continue. There will always be an element that views these grows on public lands as just too cheap to turn away from.

In the meantime....while America debates the merits or lack of for legalization...we need to do a better job of enforcement. I'm surprised they don't have better technology for crop detection available. I love the outdoors, and it ticks me off to think there are beautiful areas of the state you can't enjoy without risking your life stumbling upon a pot grow.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
The reports I read indicated he was specifically going out there to investigate an illegal grow reported by a timber company. Why would he, and not law enforcement do that?
He was employed as a security officer for a timber company. Most of the forest in the area is privately owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
There will always be an element that views these grows on public lands as just too cheap to turn away from.

In the meantime....while America debates the merits or lack of for legalization...we need to do a better job of enforcement. I'm surprised they don't have better technology for crop detection available. I love the outdoors, and it ticks me off to think there are beautiful areas of the state you can't enjoy without risking your life stumbling upon a pot grow.
Probably not, after the end of prohibition how many 'stills' were still operative?
Enforcement requires dollars. The dollars aren't there.
Crop detection and crop hiding are like the old battle between defense and offense. Aerial search with spectograph equipment used to work, the signature of marijuana differs from the surround vegetation., but the growers moved their operation under the chaparral and oaks.

Your last sentence is spot on. There are a certain number of chest thumpers that will recommend going armed. The problem there is that the growers know you are there before you know they are there.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 AM

50,069 posts, read 46,633,492 times
Right, the Feds and State just need to ignore what's going on. It's private land right? I mean, those bad guys with their guns and what not. The Feds should be shaking in their boots. They need to do what they did on the AZ border. Put of signs warning how scary it is and tell people to stay the hell away.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Right, the Feds and State just need to ignore what's going on. It's private land right? I mean, those bad guys with their guns and what not. The Feds should be shaking in their boots. They need to do what they did on the AZ border. Put of signs warning how scary it is and tell people to stay the hell away.

Holy smackers there batman. What the heck are you thinking? Do you think for one microsecond that either the state or the feds differentiate between private and public land when they are doing grow recon?

And what the heck does what happened in the Fort Bragg area have to do with the Arizona Border?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 AM

50,069 posts, read 46,633,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Holy smackers there batman. What the heck are you thinking? Do you think for one microsecond that either the state or the feds differentiate between private and public land when they are doing grow recon?

And what the heck does what happened in the Fort Bragg area have to do with the Arizona Border?
You said the dollars aren't there for enforcement. What do you suggest everyone do besides hide? Thus the mention of the border area sign telling everyone to stay away, it's too dangerous.

There will be hunters out there in one week. I hope no one gets shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California