Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:30 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times

Advertisements

Just returned from a backpack trip into the High Country of Yosemite. I can confirm what Highnlite said about flowers still in bloom. It was gorgeous out. Took my 10 y/o son out there for his first time. We had a great time.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,146 times
Oooh, so beautiful, great pics, the night sky is gorgeous. Was this out of Tuolumne Meadows? What kind of camera do you have? You always take such beautiful pictures.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:03 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Great shots, your intensity of color must be due to the difference between a 200 dollar camera and what ever you use.

We camped at Tenaya Lake every summer when I was a small child. I became addicted to granite and trees and flowers and water.. Ruined me for any kind of indoor job. I hope your child catches that addiction.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:46 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
These are fabulous photos of Tuolumne Meadows. I spend most of my summer hiking in Yosemite and I've never understood why most people prefer the valley floor to the high country. To me, there's no comparison... Tuolumne Meadows is the great area of the park and far less crowded.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Oooh, so beautiful, great pics, the night sky is gorgeous. Was this out of Tuolumne Meadows? What kind of camera do you have? You always take such beautiful pictures.
Thanks guys.

Ulysses61, I agree the backside of Yosemite is gorgeous and not half as crowded as the Valley floor. Lots to explore up there at the higher elevations.

.highnlite, our kids and especially my son have had way more mountain high experiences than I did when I was their age. I pretty sure its going to have a life long impact on them. And yeah, the camera does make a difference.

C2ShiningC, Yes, this was the trail to Young Lakes from Tuolumne Meadows. I use a Canon 5DII DSLR.

Derek

Old 09-05-2011, 12:09 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thanks guys.

Ulysses61, I agree the backside of Yosemite is gorgeous and not half as crowded as the Valley floor. Lots to explore up there at the higher elevations.

.highnlite, our kids and especially my son have had way more mountain high experiences than I did when I was their age. I pretty sure its going to have a life long impact on them. And yeah, the camera does make a difference.

C2ShiningC, Yes, this was the trail to Young Lakes from Tuolumne Meadows. I use a Canon 5DII DSLR.

Derek
Derek, be careful ... my parents raised me and my brother and sisters camping all across N. America ... nearly three months on the road every summer for ten years ... all holiday weekends, too, even some in winter. I loved it so I hated being in the city between trips and going to school ... all I ever wanted to do was camp and hike and fish and canoe and sail ... and now I live in a van and on a boat in three states (well, four states really, if you count the great state of confusion I am in much of the time) ... I'm a bum ... and it all traces back to my father and mother taking me to the wilds.

Good luck with that (but your kids will love you forever for it )

Old 09-05-2011, 02:54 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Derek, be careful ... my parents raised me and my brother and sisters camping all across N. America ... nearly three months on the road every summer for ten years ... all holiday weekends, too, even some in winter. I loved it so I hated being in the city between trips and going to school ... all I ever wanted to do was camp and hike and fish and canoe and sail ... and now I live in a van and on a boat in three states (well, four states really, if you count the great state of confusion I am in much of the time) ... I'm a bum ... and it all traces back to my father and mother taking me to the wilds.

What happened to the timber cabin you built by hand? I love how you describe the basic lack of anything on the island, as well as mention you don't have a cellphone.....yet apparently a computer with Internet

//www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...-hawaii-3.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...here-live.html

Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
What happened to the timber cabin you built by hand? I love how you describe the basic lack of anything on the island, as well as mention you don't have a cellphone.....yet apparently a computer with Internet

//www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...-hawaii-3.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...here-live.html
I don't recall ever saying the island has nothing of civilization on it ... there is electricity and phone with internet here ... I'm not sure I understand your point, if there is one ... I am right now typing this response from a laptop as I sit on my bunk in my van -- literally parked outside next to one of my cabins ... I actually have a tri-plex in Seattle and two cabins in the woods ... all of which I built myself ... tri-plex and one cabin rented for some income ... other cabin occupied by my wife ... and, since writing those earlier posts, I have canceled the cabin land-line, since my hearing is so bad (I am legally deaf since military in 1967, but had a specialized phone) and now have a cell phone so my [adult] children and my Deaf wife can text me (we live semi-together as I wander ... sometimes she comes along... sometimes she stays at home and teaches school) ... when on the island I have my wife's wireless internet ... on the road I find free wi-fi ... when out on the boats, I don't communicate. Many many many of the posts I have made on this forum have been made while sitting outside FedEx Office stores, Starbucks Coffee shops, various hotels and motel parking lots and many neighborhood streets -- perhaps where YOU live *smile*. Soon I may even upgrade from basic cell to a Smart phone as has a friend who lives similarly ... he tells me he can use his phone as a wireless hot spot anywhere ... All the better to harass CD posters with. (BTW: this friend has an even more curious lifestyle than me, perhaps ... wanna know more about how many many of us are out here and how we get by? He has six rental properties and lives in a tent and in his van behind the garage of one of his rentals.)

Satisfy your curiosity?

Last edited by nullgeo; 09-05-2011 at 09:02 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

Haha, its makes you wonder if there can ever be too much of a good thing?

I don't think I'll ever be able to take three months off a year to do road trips. But it sure sounds like fun.

Derek

Old 09-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Haha, its makes you wonder if there can ever be too much of a good thing?

I don't think I'll ever be able to take three months off a year to do road trips. But it sure sounds like fun.

Derek
It was 'grand', to use the language of the day ... these were the days when you could drive cross country on two-lane highways and not need a reservation even at Yellowstone to camp ... my father did not spend the whole summer with us ... he was a bureaucrat with city governments at the time ... we didn't have a lot of money or anything ... government didn't pay then as it has in more recent times ... Mother was a school teacher (English -- heh) and had summers off ... depending on where we camped, my father would drive out to a region of the country with us all crammed into one of the first VW Micro-buses to hit American shores -- and an old ('48) Dodge sedan before that ... then he'd stay a while and, depending on distance to home, he'd take a train or a plane back and leave my poor mother with the tribe of wild indians they called a family, and then come back out for more camping time and the drive home ... Mother was 5' and 1/2", 98 pounds, tougher than nails, and hiked daily until she died in an accident recently at age 97. Both my folks were 1st generation of immigrants ... raised hard and poor ... knew how to make pennies beg for mercy ... and how to work 25 hours a day.

And they raised a bum

Last edited by nullgeo; 09-05-2011 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California