Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,060 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody - thanks for taking a look at my post. I'm new here, but thought this would be a good way to get some feedback. I'm moving to Southern California and have been doing some research on the jobs down there. My background is in sales and business development, mostly in tech and startups. It seems like San Diego, Orange County, and Los Angeles are all very different from each other, but in general:

a) Which area do you feel has the strongest economy and the best jobs? Best outlook?

b) I know it's nothing like Silicon Valley, but if there's a tech hub in SoCal, where would it be?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 04:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,767,938 times
b) OC

Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 PM

329 posts, read 623,398 times
Not LA for sure. SD is good if you're into science but OC appear to have a good mix of everything

Old 11-04-2011, 11:19 AM

Cool. I know that there's a lot of defense and biotech in San Diego, and obviously entertainment up in LA. I've actually joined some friends on a startup, and we have people in OC and LA, while I'm usually down in San Diego. Was just curious where the most entrepreneurship happens in SoCal. Between San Diego and Orange County - which has the stronger economy / more vibrant entrepreneurship?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:31 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,168,373 times
It all depends.

As far as 'business development' such as what you eluded in your first post, I believe LA has the most financing capabilities as far as venture capital and people with professional expertise in SoCal.

Also, as far as 'sales', I think all 3 are great as far building a client base, LA County of course, being the biggest potential market possible in the entire state of CA. LOL.

It might help if you told us what your business is? Not to pry, just want to help.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,101,947 times
major industries of the biggest CA metros:

Bay Area - Finance and tech/software
LA - entertainment, manufacturing and logistics
OC - no major industries, but a diversified economy/affluent population
SD - Tourism and defense

FWIW, entrepreneurship is all over CA. i've met people at startups from all major cities.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:45 PM

Good stuff. Montclair... my background is in tech. My first job was in sales at IBM, and since then I've worked for smaller, entrepreneurial web-based companies. Now I'm part of a tech startup. Again, just curious where the clusters of startups are geographically.

And BRinSM... I agree, you find entrepreneurship in all sorts of cities. When I do research around the country, you see a broad range... everything from Seattle to DC, Austin to Raleigh... Boulder... In terms of Southern California, I've read Santa Monica, Irvine, and San Diego. I guess it's all subjective, but I was curious about opinions in terms of the economic forecast of SoCal.

FYI - personally, my favorite city in the US is San Diego. But I just keep hearing that OC has more business opportunities. True?

Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,486,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfrog View Post
Hey everybody - thanks for taking a look at my post. I'm new here, but thought this would be a good way to get some feedback. I'm moving to Southern California and have been doing some research on the jobs down there. My background is in sales and business development, mostly in tech and startups. It seems like San Diego, Orange County, and Los Angeles are all very different from each other, but in general:

a) Which area do you feel has the strongest economy and the best jobs? Best outlook?

b) I know it's nothing like Silicon Valley, but if there's a tech hub in SoCal, where would it be?

Thanks!

Irvine in OC

Sorrento Valley in SD

Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,688,226 times
OC is occasionally referred to as the Tech Coast

Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,400,273 times
The Silicon Valley of SoCal? Probably Irvine and San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California