Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 10:19 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
The boogieman was Bin Laden. The problem in California is reality.
Yes, but every place has real problems and well as good aspects. We discovered that in our own move to greener pastures. Its hard to not look at other locations through rose colored glasses. Bottom line is no place you go will be perfect. For example while Texas might have more jobs for some you get unbearable heat all summer long and humidity. Not to mention the lack of mountains, rugged coastlines, along with a whole host of other less desirable things. I've got a friend who recently moved out there and can't wait to get back to the West coast. He is also from the South Bay. At the very least you will trade one set of known problems for another set of unknown problems - ones you think you know. But you can never really know if a place is right for you until you have lived there for several years. That's how we discovered CO wasn't for us longer term. It's a fun place to visit. But living there is different.

By all means go out and explore, nothing wrong with that. But you will miss certain aspects of CA whether you are honest with yourself and others about it or not. No place compares with the nicer qualities of CA. And that's what makes it a great place to live for many of us, in spite of its problems.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-09-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:46 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,305 times
To that guy in the YouTube video: Bye.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, but every place has real problems and well as good aspects. We discovered that in our own move to greener pastures. Its hard to not look at other locations through rose colored glasses. Bottom line is no place you go will be perfect. For example while Texas might have more jobs for some you get unbearable heat all summer long and humidity. Not to mention the lack of mountains, rugged coastlines, along with a whole host of other less desirable things. I've got a friend who recently moved out there and can't wait to get back to the West coast. He is also from the South Bay. At the very least you will trade one set of known problems for another set of unknown problems - ones you think you know. But you can never really know if a place is right for you until you have lived there for several years. That's how we discovered CO wasn't for us longer term. It's a fun place to visit. But living there is different.

By all means go out and explore, nothing wrong with that. But you will miss certain aspects of CA whether you are honest with yourself and others about it or not. No place compares with the nicer qualities of CA. And that's what makes it a great place to live for many of us, in spite of its problems.

Derek
For me a lot goes into making a move. The homeland changing plays a part. Timing in life plays a part. I'm certain there are places where we will be comfortable. It will be different, a change, but the homeland has changed. I can interpolate the future here. Sometimes you can never get back home.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:35 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Worse for who? You? ... 62 roads out ... you found your way. Not worse for me ... happy as a clam at high tide ... happier since you've gone ... can't wait for the "mass exodus" folks like you keep talking about -- to open things up more and more ... why are you back through cyberspace?
I just love liberal hypocrisy. Scream and yell that conservatives are sooooo selfish, but they have the most blantant case of "I've got mine" I've ever seen.

Nice personal attack - you don't even know me, so if me leaving made you personally happier, you're more mental that you first appear.

Let me tell you who it's "worse" for. The state in general. Right now you're sitting pretty, because you have enough to live on. But eventually the wolves will come to your door, and you will pay and pay. You'll have wide open spaces, but little else.

I come back because I know about CA, and it IS a free country, even if CA is becoming less and less of a free state.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I just love liberal hypocrisy. Scream and yell that conservatives are sooooo selfish, but they have the most blantant case of "I've got mine" I've ever seen.

Nice personal attack - you don't even know me, so if me leaving made you personally happier, you're more mental that you first appear.

Let me tell you who it's "worse" for. The state in general. Right now you're sitting pretty, because you have enough to live on. But eventually the wolves will come to your door, and you will pay and pay. You'll have wide open spaces, but little else.

I come back because I know about CA, and it IS a free country, even if CA is becoming less and less of a free state.

Please tell us how California; "is becoming less and less of a free state" Some how I seem to have missed whatever irks you.

Conservatives may not be selfish, but they are definitely fearful. As your 4th, 5th, 7th, and 9th sentences clearly show.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:09 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Ah, you know nothing about me either, other than what I wrote -- which is what I know about you. You write attacks using negative hyperbole against liberals. You identify yourself as a right-wingnut by doing so. I'm not a liberal ... nor conservative ... nor independent ... nor libertarian ... nor even an anarchist. I am the channeled spirit of a Taoist neanderthal, 10,000 years old. And my observation of all you whiners who chant doom and gloom is: you haven't suffered enough and you ain't seen much through the eyes of history. All politics and politicians suck -- and democracy is unworkable given human nature. It's science. Live with it, lend a hand, and quit your bit*hing.

And you also have absolutely no idea of what I have or don't have to live on -- nor how I earned it. But I'll throw you a glimpse: I live from a combination of a couple income producing properties that I built by my own two hands in spite of disabilities earned in combat on behalf of this nation over 40 years ago, and a modest pension from the military for those damages. All told I live on less than probably most anyone on this forum -- I'd wager probably half of the average here or less -- still supporting three people, and love my lifestyle. Some of the time I live in a remote little cabin I built, sometimes, on one of my little boats, much of the time in a converted tradesman's van. I worked my tail off for over 40 years for this sliver of "mine" that ain't much. And since I was a teen I have never, ever, lived one minute of life without contributing to my communities, my (large) family, and continuously caring for sick and dying and disabled.

So, yeah, happy to see you go pursue your American dream of material self-satisfactions elsewhere.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:01 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Look, I love California and would absolutely love to stay here for at least several years. However, venture capitalism in Menlo Park and, as a result, type-A entrepreneurial tech types throughout SV aren't going to turn around the entire state's economy. Getting Congress to turn the water back on to many communities in the Central Valley would also be a good start (nobody's ever accused me of being a conservative nutjob, but that alone is enough to turn me off from Senator "Don't Call Me Ma'am" Boxer).

Anywho, even for the people here who disagree with the guy in the video, you must admit that he raises some valid points and problems within the state and that, really, he is pretty articulate. And small business owners like that will be the fuel needed to grow California again, especially in SoCal and the Central Valley where they've taken a substantial hit.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
It is kind of amusing looking at it from an international perspective. If you compare California to a country like Canada or Australia our politics would be right-of-center. If you compared it to most of Europe we'd be downright conservative. The state does have room for improvement (haven't seen anywhere that doesn't), but there's so much hyperbole and Chicken Little clucking from certain conservative quarters.

Last edited by BeauCharles; 09-10-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
He mentioned getting away from the hot weather, so I'm guessing that he may have moved to the Pacific Northwest.

It was 103 degrees yesterday, in Brookings, Oregon.

'The Chetco Effect'.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:30 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Look, I love California and would absolutely love to stay here for at least several years. However, venture capitalism in Menlo Park and, as a result, type-A entrepreneurial tech types throughout SV aren't going to turn around the entire state's economy. Getting Congress to turn the water back on to many communities in the Central Valley would also be a good start (nobody's ever accused me of being a conservative nutjob, but that alone is enough to turn me off from Senator "Don't Call Me Ma'am" Boxer).

Anywho, even for the people here who disagree with the guy in the video, you must admit that he raises some valid points and problems within the state and that, really, he is pretty articulate. And small business owners like that will be the fuel needed to grow California again, especially in SoCal and the Central Valley where they've taken a substantial hit.
Look at the rhetoric from the liberals at the federal level. From 2009 they were telling us the recession was over, green shoots were sprouting, and pointed to the manipulated rising stock market as proof. It was not until Obama's jobs speech that he himself acknowledged we are not in a recovery, conditions are getting worse, and used this backdrop to justify yet more deficit spending, the poison pill, on the same old stuff as last time that didn't work and really only funded unions and other Obama supporters. Its only a matter of time now when Moonbeam must speak to the people of California and unveil the truth on the real state of California's economy. With the EU going under within days/weeks we will see a shock wave in the financial sector and a very quick and ugly turn that can't be masked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California