Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your company doing locally right now?
mostly hiring 9 36.00%
mostly laying off 7 28.00%
laying off now, but planning to hire more in the future 0 0%
hiring now, but planning to layoff more in the future 0 0%
remaining stagnant - neither hiring nor laying off locally 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

The last two require some inside knowledge of your company or you can provide a best guess.

In our case we are the mostly hiring locally - software engineers.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
There is not really a choice listed that corresponds so I chose the closest one (mostly laying off).

The real answer, which is effectively equivalent, is, mostly not backfilling local vacancies. Most new reqs are opened outside the Bay Area / CA.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There is not really a choice listed that corresponds so I chose the closest one (mostly laying off).

The real answer, which is effectively equivalent, is, mostly not backfilling local vacancies. Most new reqs are opened outside the Bay Area / CA.
Hm, this is kinda confusing. Are you actually laying local ppl off or just not locally filling positions lost thru attrition? Basically not doing anything locally?

Maybe a fifth option I should have added would be remaining stagnant overall -> neither hiring nor laying off locally.

Derek

Old 09-08-2011, 08:44 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hm, this is kinda confusing. Are you actually laying local ppl off or just not locally filling positions lost thru attrition? Basically not doing anything locally?

Maybe a fifth option I should have added would be remaining stagnant overall -> neither hiring nor laying off locally.

Derek
We're neither hiring or laying off locally. We're a small business that franchises with a larger company.

As for the company, they were aggressively franchising before the recession hit. They would open 75 franchise properties a year, but it has whittled down to 30 or so. However, there are about 200 in the pipeline, just waiting for the economy to get better -- probably in the next year or so.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
We have been and continue to lay-off. I'm talking over a thousand people in California over the past year.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
We have been and continue to lay-off. I'm talking over a thousand people in California over the past year.
Don, I am only talking about locally where you work, not the entire state. From memory you mentioned working in aerospace. If its with one of the larger companies (like ours) there is a lot of change over happening both in the hiring and laying off of workers depending on the projects and the skillsets related those projects. Some projects get canned while other new ones emerge. Its the nature of the beast. But overall in our neck of the woods our business is growing pretty steadily, though not everyone on every project stays employed. If a project gets axed for whatever reason we try to place ppl on newer ones. But much depends on the individual and their skills. Are the skills easily transferable to the newer projects or are they antiquated? What was the person's reputation, work ethic like, etc..? It seems like the older managers who like to give orders rather than do current hands-on work are having a harder time of it. And I'm not just talking about age but rather the impetus to learn new things/develop new skills vs. being stuck in an old way of thinking/doing things.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-08-2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
We're neither hiring or laying off locally. We're a small business that franchises with a larger company.

As for the company, they were aggressively franchising before the recession hit. They would open 75 franchise properties a year, but it has whittled down to 30 or so. However, there are about 200 in the pipeline, just waiting for the economy to get better -- probably in the next year or so.
Alright, a big thank you to NewToCA for helping me add a fifth option after the fact.

Now we have remaining stagnant - neither hiring nor laying off locally.

Derek

Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Don, I am only talking about locally where you work, not the entire state. From memory you mentioned working in aerospace. If its with one of the larger companies (like ours) there is a lot of change over happening both in the hiring and laying off of workers depending on the projects and the skillsets related those projects. Some projects get canned while other new ones emerge. Its the nature of the beast. But overall in our neck of the woods our business is growing pretty steadily, though not everyone on every project stays employed. If a project gets axed for whatever reason we try to place ppl on newer ones. But much depends on the individual and their skills. Are the skills easily transferable to the newer projects or are they antiquated? What was the person's reputation, work ethic like, etc..? It seems like the older managers who like to give orders rather than do current hands-on work are having a harder time of it. And I'm not just talking age but rather the impetus to learn new things/develop new skills vs. being stuck in an old way of thinking/doing things.

Derek
Our RIF is due to "not enough work". We do try and move people around whenever possible but the cold fact is the work is drying up. Very few new projects and existing programs cut. There are jobs listed but very specific skills for the most part and many apply from within and from the outside. I have been in aerospace for 35 years, through the ups and downs, but I never seen it this bad for this long with nothing on the horizon.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Our RIF is due to "not enough work". We do try and move people around whenever possible but the cold fact is the work is drying up. Very few new projects and existing programs cut. There are jobs listed but very specific skills for the most part and many apply from within and from the outside. I have been in aerospace for 35 years, through the ups and downs, but I never seen it this bad for this long with nothing on the horizon.
I think it really will vary by lines of business first (planes, missles, space, IT services, etc...) and secondly by job classification. For example in our organization when we have openings which we do now, we prefer to hire internally first. That means if someone's project gets cut for whatever reason we are interested in retaining quality employees. But if we're developing software and the project and skills of its employees are completely unrelated then its a no-go from the start.

And while military spending cuts are an inevitible part of an economic recovery, they are targeted. We've seen growth in certain areas throughout the recession while other things diminish, hence the net increase of our staff.

Derek

Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I think it really will vary by lines of business first (planes, missles, space, IT services, etc...) and secondly by job classification. For example in our organization when we have openings which we do now, we prefer to hire internally first. That means if someone's project gets cut for whatever reason we are interested in retaining quality employees. But if we're developing software and the project and skills of its employees are completely unrelated then its a no-go from the start.

And while military spending cuts are an inevitible part of an economic recovery, they are targeted. We've seen growth in certain areas throughout the recession while other things diminish, hence the net increase of our staff.

Derek
Normally a recession won't impact our work much ... but this is not normal.

Last edited by Vascodagama; 09-08-2011 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California