Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

Just follow the smell of warm Colitas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 AM

10 posts, read 15,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
it's in hell.
so you have already visited hell?

Old 09-12-2011, 11:21 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
The song isn't about a hotel......
No it isn't. Wikipedia has some history on the song including quotes from Don Henley about the symbolism of the name:

The song is an allegory about hedonism and self-destruction in the music industry of the late 1970s; Don Henley called it "our interpretation of the high life in Los Angeles" and later reiterated "it's basically a song about the dark underbelly of the American dream and about excess in America, which is something we knew a lot about."

Here's another precious quote underscoring the fact that the lyrics shouldn't be taken literally:

music critic John Soeder asked Don Henley this about the lyrics:
On "Hotel California," you sing: "So I called up the captain / 'Please bring me my wine' / He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.'" I realize I'm probably not the first to bring this to your attention, but wine isn't a spirit. Wine is fermented; spirits are distilled. Do you regret that lyric?
Henley responded,
"Thanks for the tutorial and, no, you're not the first to bring this to my attention—and you're not the first to completely misinterpret the lyric and miss the metaphor. Believe me, I've consumed enough alcoholic beverages in my time to know how they are made and what the proper nomenclature is. But that line in the song has little or nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. It's a sociopolitical statement. My only regret would be having to explain it in detail to you, which would defeat the purpose of using literary devices in songwriting and lower the discussion to some silly and irrelevant argument about chemical processes."

Old 09-13-2011, 11:15 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Henley is the shizzlenit!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:18 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Default I live in Hotel California

No really, the lobby of my building in Los Angeles served as the stand in for the interior of Hotel California on the back of the album and gatefold. The building used to be a long term hotel back in the day and was converted to apartments over the years.

There is a Hotel California in Oakland off the 580 I think...

Jesus, man, can you change the station? ...had a rough night, and I hate the f------ Eagles, man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California