Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:26 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I haven't espoused the "other side," simply exposed the folly and, to this old soldier, anti-Americanism of the one you're obviously so supportive of. I much prefer a balance between the two. Moderation in all things, including moderation!
I am not anti-American ... i'm anti ignorant.
I'm someone who wishes people (who have been bamboozled and mesmerized by the dominant culture) would wake up and see what is going on "behind the scenes", realize who the true criminals are and protest and revolt (non-violently!) so that this country and this world can move into a better future because if that doesn't happen we're going to be in real trouble.
Labeling me as an anti-American is simply a deflection and a way to dismiss me and the truth of what i am saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 12:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Oh? Valuing the natural resources of our nation, as did so many of our wise forefathers, such as Teddy Roosevelt, is anti-American?

What's pitiful and anti-American, Chief, is a nation of orchard pigs ... that is those who simply live off the fallen fruit from the trees planted by hard-working visionaries of our illustrious past. Most Americans of our day are weak-willed, recliner-sitting, beer-swilling, grown-up spoiled brats ... "gimme more!" ... "More more more!" ... "I don't care what gets sacrificed and ruined! I want I want I want!"
Glad I ain't one of those. Hyperbola! Ever hear of it?

Quote:
Chief, your "old soldiering" can't touch mine ... don't even go there ... you'll expose yourself further as the fraud you are. I'll match and pass anyone on this board for sacrifice to the nation ... hands down ... with what's left of my right hand, that is ... and my hearing ... and my face ... and my ............
Give it a rest, guy. Thank you for your service but the fact that I was lucky enough to dodge the bullets makes my experience no less "useful" than yours or many, many tens of thousands of others, and I don't have to rely on and constantly invoke it for any sense of self-worth. It was what it was and that's all what it was. It was also 40 years ago and I'm still here, bad knees, hearing loss and all. Don't look now but so are you! On the inside, get over it and don't try to trump others. Accusing me/them/us of fraud is pathetic, needy, desperate and very unattractive. I think you're better than that. Then again, I could be wrong.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:00 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Give it a rest, guy. Thank you for your service but the fact that I was lucky enough to dodge the bullets makes my experience no less "useful" than yours or many, many tens of thousands of others, and I don't have to rely on and constantly invoke it for any sense of self-worth. It was what it was and that's all what it was. It was also 40 years ago and I'm still here, bad knees, hearing loss and all. Don't look now but so are you! On the inside, get over it and don't try to trump others. Accusing me/them/us of fraud is pathetic, needy, desperate and very unattractive. I think you're better than that. Then again, I could be wrong.
Chief, it was YOU who played the "old soldier" card ... as if that makes you a real American more than others. You are a typical American though: full of pomp and inflated self-worth. It's not at all the mark of a man or a patriot to have served or sacrificed in the military ... many who have opposed military action have just as much claim to proper patriotism and sacrifice. What is truly un-American is failing the spirit of our nation by disrespecting the gifts and graces we have been born to here as if they are not enough.

Keep your fatherly advice to yourself. You haven't earned any right to counsel.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Chief, it was YOU who played the "old soldier" card ... as if that makes you a real American more than others. You are a typical American though: full of pomp and inflated self-worth. It's not at all the mark of a man or a patriot to have served or sacrificed in the military ... many who have opposed military action have just as much claim to proper patriotism and sacrifice. What is truly un-American is failing the spirit of our nation by disrespecting the gifts and graces we have been born to here as if they are not enough.

Keep your fatherly advice to yourself. You haven't earned any right to counsel.
Interesting that long ago your "master" made disparaging remarks about my mentioning my military service a comparatively few times yet you do so unceasingly and he utters nary a word. Hypocrisy much?

As for the rest, non sequiter. Speak for yourself, anti-law upholder.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:17 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Linny,

Interesting that you picked WNC as one of your areas. We looked all over the country for 2 years where to retire and picked WNC--Black Mountain about 15 minutes from Asheville. It has all your requirements plus more. And there are mountain towns that are much more remote in WNC. As far as the heat/humidity it is WAY better than NJ (We've lived there also). And to get even less humidity you can go higher in elevation--up to 4,000 and they don't even use ACs.

I was born and raised in CA, and lived for many years in both Grass Valley and Nevada City. They are wonderful towns, but CA has way too many political and economic problems for us to retire there. Plus I am sensitive to air pollution and the summer air gets really bad in Nevada County. We believe that CA will only get worse in crime, bad economy, and lack of services, so didn't want to end up there. Plus there is constant water and drought problems---we liked that WNC has tons of rivers, streams, lakes, and springs. No water shortages. I am sure you are already doing plenty of research on all this.

When comparing WNC with Nevada County or other similar areas of CA, there was no comparison. The WNC has way more green builders, organic farmers, farmers markets, and businesses that support them, MUCH more friendly people, tons of alternative energy, less crowds, and way more to do. And Asheville has some of the top health care in the nation. Your only big city nearby from Nevada Co is Sacramento which has extreme air pollution problems and crime problems and is a boring big city. The Blue Ridge and Smoky mountains are incredibly gorgeous and although not as high as the Sierras, much more diversity in plants, trees, and wildlife without all the crowds on hiking trails.

If you are stuck on CA then I think Grass Valley/Nevada City is one of the best areas for what you're looking for, but please visit for a long time in person to see how bad the CA problems really are. I just wanted to share that we had also compared the two areas to retire and picked WNC.
Good luck!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:41 PM

From what I understand, and I lived in NC twice, many a year ago, you picked a beautiful area. Those mountains, along with the Adirondaks and other eastern chains are indeed gorgeous. Good choice!

Old 09-18-2011, 03:55 PM

Great to get a good review of the area from you Curmudgeon, but now I'm wondering if I should have kept it quiet! (Don't want the crowds pouring in)

Old 09-18-2011, 04:45 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Linny,

Interesting that you picked WNC as one of your areas. We looked all over the country for 2 years where to retire and picked WNC--Black Mountain about 15 minutes from Asheville. It has all your requirements plus more. And there are mountain towns that are much more remote in WNC. As far as the heat/humidity it is WAY better than NJ (We've lived there also). And to get even less humidity you can go higher in elevation--up to 4,000 and they don't even use ACs.

I was born and raised in CA, and lived for many years in both Grass Valley and Nevada City. They are wonderful towns, but CA has way too many political and economic problems for us to retire there. Plus I am sensitive to air pollution and the summer air gets really bad in Nevada County. We believe that CA will only get worse in crime, bad economy, and lack of services, so didn't want to end up there. Plus there is constant water and drought problems---we liked that WNC has tons of rivers, streams, lakes, and springs. No water shortages. I am sure you are already doing plenty of research on all this.

When comparing WNC with Nevada County or other similar areas of CA, there was no comparison. The WNC has way more green builders, organic farmers, farmers markets, and businesses that support them, MUCH more friendly people, tons of alternative energy, less crowds, and way more to do. And Asheville has some of the top health care in the nation. Your only big city nearby from Nevada Co is Sacramento which has extreme air pollution problems and crime problems and is a boring big city. The Blue Ridge and Smoky mountains are incredibly gorgeous and although not as high as the Sierras, much more diversity in plants, trees, and wildlife without all the crowds on hiking trails.

If you are stuck on CA then I think Grass Valley/Nevada City is one of the best areas for what you're looking for, but please visit for a long time in person to see how bad the CA problems really are. I just wanted to share that we had also compared the two areas to retire and picked WNC.
Good luck!

Thank you for that, ya'll hear that? North Carolina is calling you, according to the poster, it is much much better than California.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Linny,

Good luck!
Thanks , the smoky mountains are one of my favorites in terms of sheer beauty. . while i hate humidity - and in the winter it makes the cold harsh. i am an outdoors no matter what , rain ,sleet , snow, because i have two labs that love all weather. but its the overcast and rain that i really can't stand, and my analysis of the weather normals regarding precipitation (rain) and cloudy , partly, sunny , days , for the WNC are closer to NJ. but i know such data will not tell the whole story. WNC is not off the list, we are still going to check it out

Old 09-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Linny,

I hate humidity too, and that's the reason we didn't move back to New England. Because WNC has much better weather (less humidity, less bugs, more blue-sky sunny days, milder winters) lots of New Englanders and NYers are retiring there, and that's how I heard about it from friends who kept telling me the weather was way better. The lower elevation areas such as Charlotte do get horrible humidity and heat, but the higher up you go in elevation, the cooler and dryer it gets. Some of the High Country areas don't even have or use ACs.

But Grass Valley/Nevada City has really nice four seasons with only summer getting into any extremes with hot and dry during July and August. You will need AC there, but you probably can't get better weather than there anywhere else in the U.S. and still have 4 distinct seasons and not too many bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California