Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 AM

3 posts, read 8,860 times

Advertisements

I currently live in New Jersey. Hubby and are considering buying a future retirement home or land. We have been researching all different areas on the East and West Coast. We plan on doing in person research as well.

desires:
level of remoteness in terms of our immediate living environment - and in an area that has take your breath away natural beauty
A sustainable environment in terms of having our clean reliable water source
Longish growing season, supplement with cold frame harvesting
Immediate access (non driving) to outdoor activities, hiking, fishing, etc.
Want access to small and/or larger towns (at least some within 30 - 1hour drive) where there would be cafes/restaurants/cultural activities/level of vibrancy

Climate wise- most important - sunny, partial sun days far exceed cloudy days, dry cold does not bother me me but to much rain and clouds do). Prefer early spring (e.g. March)

Other areas I have considered based on aesthetic appeal: Western Northern Carolina (cloudy day norm precipitation norms too similar to NJ), Mount Desert Island , ME but way too cold (east cost cold much harsher) and remote

Recommendations/suggestions welcomed but (please no recommendations of Western coastal cities)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Of the towns/areas you listed I would choose Nevada County (Grass Valley/Nevada City). Its a beautiful area, the towns are historic and pretty, the weather is pretty mild. Four seasons - but cooler summers than the Central Valley and winters that are not nearly as cold as Mt. Shasta or Yreka (and no "Tule fog" like in the valley). Plus a fairly large city like Sacramento within easy reach for the airport or shopping. Nevada City has a few cultural opportunities as well - especially local artists.

The Mother Lode (Sierra Gold Country) is one of my favorite areas of the state - Mariposa County to Nevada County. All are popular with retirees.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:33 PM

105 posts, read 306,289 times
All the areas you mention are nice, and I considered them at one point or another. One other Place I'd like to throw in is Pine Mountain Club, CA (where I live). A large percentage of residents are retired. The rest are young families or part time vacationers. It's very small (1,400 pop) town that hardly anyone knows about where people drive around in golf carts.

There is a small village with just a handful of shops a bakery, a small market, the post office and a couple restaurants. There is also a clubhouse that has golf, tennis, a pool and a lounge. It's very modest, but if you can't find what you’re looking for locally, the greater Los Angeles area is about an hour away. We have a few annual festivals (lilac festival, fall festival, wine festival) and lots of smaller activities that go on more frequently.

It butts right up against the Los Padres National Forest and there are plenty of outdoor activities and unreal natural beauty. Not so much water sports though. There is one creek that runs through town and a lake that could probably be considered a large duck pond. The pond offers catch-and-release fishing, but no boating or swimming. We get 4 seasons, but none of them are overly harsh. In the winter, the mountain peaks in the background keep snow, but the snowfall in town typically melts off in a few days.

The best part is that because of the remoteness and lack of industry, housing is very reasonable.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226743_10150185125501816_662971815_7426342_7550318 _n.jpg (broken link)

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/182047_10150090754526816_662971815_6798710_4611460 _n.jpg (broken link)

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/267401_10150229454741816_662971815_7797396_4823842 _n.jpg (broken link)

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/184977_10150090755186816_662971815_6798725_4335681 _n.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Jebby; 09-16-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 03:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Anywhere along Highway 49 in the Sierra Foothills.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,860 times
Thanks for the responses, and pictures. does anyone know if tule fog (since it is technically a cloud) would be included in weather data counted with the cloudy / or partly cloudy days. Those normals for areas that get it could be misleading if its not included.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Yreka - no there there.

Mt. Shasta - quaint, lovely, small and semi-isolated.

Grass Valley/Nevada City - historic, hilly and full of hippie culture but delightful in their own way.

Chico - a nice mix of a college town, small town and close enough to nature and Sacramento to be handily livable, but a valley town and hot in the summer.

All are relatively expensive depending upon from whence you come.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linny144 View Post
Thanks for the responses, and pictures. does anyone know if tule fog (since it is technically a cloud) would be included in weather data counted with the cloudy / or partly cloudy days. Those normals for areas that get it could be misleading if its not included.

Tule Fog is a function of high pressure, it is a sad fact, and a sweeping generalization that if it isn't raining, you have tule fog. But, if you gain elevation above 1500-2000 feet, Grass Valley, Auburn, San Andreas, Paradise, etc.

Above the fog below the snow.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:06 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
If you don't mind dry cold then, unless you're really attached to California, why not consider parts of New Mexico?
The Santa Fe or Taos areas are hot in the summer (but not like Phoenix, AZ hot), autumn is beautiful, the growing season is, i imagine, longer than in the Northeast and the winters are somewhat cold (but dry cold) but, in Santa Fe for example, they don't get huge amounts of snow and it's not crazy cold like much of the higher elevations of the intermountain west and you won't have to deal with too much cloud or rain.
And the price of land and/or home is so much more reasonable than CA.
Just a thought.

I just had to post this.
Imagine a property of this quality for that price ($475,000) in CA!!! Although, admittedly, i'm comparing it to land and home prices in S.C. county, but still.
If you love high desert beauty

Last edited by jaijai; 09-17-2011 at 12:46 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Above the fog below the snow.
Sometimes we're 16 inches below the snow.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2011, 01:19 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
All the areas you mention are nice, and I considered them at one point or another. One other Place I'd like to throw in is Pine Mountain Club, CA (where I live). A large percentage of residents are retired. The rest are young families or part time vacationers. It's very small (1,400 pop) town that hardly anyone knows about where people drive around in golf carts.

There is a small village with just a handful of shops a bakery, a small market, the post office and a couple restaurants. There is also a clubhouse that has golf, tennis, a pool and a lounge. It's very modest, but if you can't find what you’re looking for locally, the greater Los Angeles area is about an hour away. We have a few annual festivals (lilac festival, fall festival, wine festival) and lots of smaller activities that go on more frequently.

It butts right up against the Los Padres National Forest and there are plenty of outdoor activities and unreal natural beauty. Not so much water sports though. There is one creek that runs through town and a lake that could probably be considered a large duck pond. The pond offers catch-and-release fishing, but no boating or swimming. We get 4 seasons, but none of them are overly harsh. In the winter, the mountain peaks in the background keep snow, but the snowfall in town typically melts off in a few days.

The best part is that because of the remoteness and lack of industry, housing is very reasonable.
I LOVE PMC!!!

Those who may want to test the waters can rent a hotel room above Pine Mountain Realty.

I stayed there for one entire week and you and your hotel guests are given daily passes to the Pine Mountain CC across the highway, which you can walk to if you like.

There are a couple of small cafes and a bakery within walking distance of the hotel so everything is right there including Community Market.

Very nice close-knit community and my husband wants to retire there.

Chico is a college town (hubby got his degree there) so if you decide to buy in town, watch out that your neighbors are not college students who throw parties every weekend. One way to tell is to look for an old couch out in front of the house. Beer cans in the front yard, etc.

Chico has many quaint older homes built pre-War 11; there is also the Bidwell Mansion and homes with similar, but not as large, architecture.

If living in that area appeals to you but not among college students, may want to have a look at Paradise which is a short ways away in the Sierra foothills. Paradise does get some snow in the winter.

~Cali-girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California