Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,981 times

Advertisements

The society is just too cruel and life too stressful in CA--because of high prices and bad economy--rents are up, inflation is happening and all prices are rising--yet, salaries aren't going up. You always hear stories like this one, and others... "my landlord had thrown me out and I have nowhere to sleep", "can't pay rent", "lost my job", "got 5 parking tickets don't' know how to pay them". It's a big contrast when you live in some other states and compare--the crazy stories just happen... much less. Little sense of community here, many people are just sailing the wild sea, by themselves, kind of...I'm sorry for your loss of property. Better let it go in your mind and forget it. Coldhearted crooks will get what's coming for them, eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
The society is just too cruel and life too stressful in CA--because of high prices and bad economy--rents are up, inflation is happening and all prices are rising--yet, salaries aren't going up. You always hear stories like this one, and others... "my landlord had thrown me out and I have nowhere to sleep", "can't pay rent", "lost my job", "got 5 parking tickets don't' know how to pay them". It's a big contrast when you live in some other states and compare--the crazy stories just happen... much less. Little sense of community here, many people are just sailing the wild sea, by themselves, kind of...I'm sorry for your loss of property. Better let it go in your mind and forget it. Coldhearted crooks will get what's coming for them, eventually.
First off, if someone got 5 parking tickets I'd bet they are about as responsible as a young child.

As was stated, if you think you can't pay rent go get what's valuable.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
First off, if someone got 5 parking tickets I'd bet they are about as responsible as a young child.

As was stated, if you think you can't pay rent go get what's valuable.
It's like... you say you see the forest, but you can't see trees. Till one falls on your head.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
All I can say about this thread and these posts is ... : smack::s mack::sm ack::sma ck::smac k::smack :

Oh yeah, and one last thought .... pay your damn bills!

Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyjessi81 View Post
THe storage unit was auctioned off on the 26th of September. I was there and I saw who won. I talked to them and gave them my phone number and asked them to call me if there was anything they did not want in their. THey ever called me. Instead yesterday I got a call from the storage company and was told that there was some stuff there for me. I went down there and picked it up. Most of it was crap. There was a couple of momentos but for the most part my kids baby stuff was still missing. Im hoping that they have not started throwing stuff in the trash. I am going to email the auction company today and hope that they can get these ppl to contact me.

You already approached the person who purchased the contents of your unit, asked for anything they didn't want, and gave them your contact information.

They had the storage company call to let you know you could pick up what was left behind, ie: the stuff they didn't want.

They have your phone number so they can contact you should they come across anything else.

I'm sorry that what they left for you wasn't what you were hoping for. But I really doubt that you are going to get anywhere by asking again. As difficult as it is, I think you may need to let this one go.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:23 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Everything is not always as it first appears...

A couple of years ago I had a tenant that became very ill, her extended family moved in to care for her and after she passed... they could not agree on anything... utilities were turned off, rent stopped getting paid... they by-passed the utility meter with speaker wire and were using candles...

I called a meeting and told them they would have to leave and if they all left by the end of the month, I would refund the full security deposit to all three children jointly...

They moved and left a lot of items behind that they were to pick up the next day... had no way to get hold of them.

I have a enclosed car trailer that was empty... so I loaded everything into the trailer, Flat Screen, beds, personal items... everything.

A few months later I get a certified letter from a lawyer with an itemized list of the items with a value attached to each major item...

I call the lawyer and thank him for contacting me as I had heard nothing since the family moved... the lawyer said I could clear up the matter by sending him a check for about $3,800.... I said why would I do that... he said because he could find no record of me having a published sale of the items and I had no right to dispose of the items unless by public, published sale.

I think he fell off his chair when I told him I had stored everything and all I needed was an address for delivery and I would waive all storage fees if we could take care of this today...

So, I hitch up the trailer and drive to the new home and start unloading... they start to tell me that don't want mom's bed and mattresses or her favorite easy chair that was badly soiled plus other things... all they really wanted were the TV, Sterio and some cell phone chargers and game station stuff.

I said the deal I made with their lawyer is all items would be delivered today and I would take a picture of them in the driveway and wished them well...

Heard they were evicted shortly thereafter and the landlord was not happy about all the items they left behind...

All I am saying is people must take some responsibility and I went above and beyond ensuring all items were returned much to their disappointment...

Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
You went WAAAAY beyond the point I'd go for my tenants, but I love the part about how you gobsmacked the lawyer.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You went WAAAAY beyond the point I'd go for my tenants, but I love the part about how you gobsmacked the lawyer.
You would, Gunny. Now where the hell have you been? The shore patrol finally round you up and bring you back?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
how is the storage owner a crook?
the op didnt pay their bill, the storage company would have had to given them notice...
if the op knew they couldnt make thier bill payments (and they dont auction off a locker for a single mised payment folks) then the op should have either gone and got the valuable stuff and defaulted on the locker after, OR the op should have settled the bill, or the op could have... *gahsp* paid the monthly...general rule of thumb is if you cant afford to pay for it, you cant have it...

the storage folks did exactly what was within their rights.

the people that bought the locker are also well within thier rights, they bought the contets of the locker..the idea being they could sell anything worthwhile ot make back (and hopefully make a profit) because you as the person who didnt pay their bill or collect their goods didnt make the effort for whatever reason...
so now there crooks for doing whats perfectly withint their legal rights?!

im a little confused...
the locker owner doesnt pay and as a result looses their stuff so its everyone elses fault but theirs?!

someone doesnt pay their rent, they get kicked out...dont make your car payment...bye bye car...
they dont just take these things after 1 missed payment! its usually a good few MONTHS of no payment, and then they have to privide notice (i belive in CA its 30 days) during which time the renter of the locker can pay what they owe the storage company to get their stuff back...
seems like a fairly simple concept to me!

as a side not op..im sorry you lost your stuff...
but you realy could have gone to get it before this all happend...

and contacting the auction company wont get you anywhere, i belive legally they cannot give you the names and addresses of the buyers...

Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
... all they really wanted were the TV, Sterio and some cell phone chargers and game station stuff.
I am reasonably sure all they really wanted was the $3800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
the storage folks did exactly what was within their rights....
the locker owner doesnt pay and as a result looses their stuff so its everyone elses fault but theirs?!

and contacting the auction company wont get you anywhere, i belive legally they cannot give you the names and addresses of the buyers...
Upon signing and agreeing to the storage rental you actually sign stating you are aware all property will be sold if not paid. They do not hide this, they tell you repeatedly.
Tweekers are always the victim.
The auction houses earn their sales percentage for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California