Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 18,277 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move sometime in the next two years. We can't decide between AZ or CA.
We have family in both states. We own our own online business, so we don't need to worry about finding jobs and we are not concerned about cost of living.
We have two kids so we are looking for ideas of safe places with good schools and we'd like to be within about an hour of a nice university so we can hopefully persuade them into staying close to us when they go off to college.

In Arizona we like the small suburbs north of Phoenix and the Prescott area.
In California we like the cities & areas around Napa Valley, Big Sur, San Luiz Obispo and Palm Springs.

I'm looking for cute towns & cities that are well kept and take alot of pride in their appearance too.

Also, for those who have lived in both states, which is your preference and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,828,757 times
Since money is not a concern, consider Carmel ... just a bit north of Big Sur.
Unless you've got an "in", living in Big Sur probably isn't an option and even if it was, living there with children may present some challenges.
Even without children it can be daunting.
There are times for example, during the winter, when the road washes out so unless you're into being trapped (a beautiful place to be trapped in but still) you may not be up for Big Sur living.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:58 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,403,405 times
California has nicer weather than AZ

Old 09-21-2011, 11:30 AM

64 posts, read 263,168 times
There are good things to be said about both areas. I prefer Carmel, since you can be more active more of the year. Lots of outdoor places to visit for a hike or picnic. The public schools are extremely good. We really have some wonderful education professionals. Locally we have a community college, CSUMB and MIIS, a graduate school. There are other schools as well.

I agree that Big Sur (although beautiful and great for a day trip) would not be my first choice to buy a home. In the 25 years I have lived here they have been absolutely trapped at least three times for several weeks at a time. I doubt that the internet service and cell service would suit you. Due to the mountains and of infrustructure, I can't even get radio in many parts of Big Sur.

If you love sun, hot weather and shopping then Phoenix would be great. Housing prices are amazing. I don't have first hand knowledge about their schools.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,306,061 times
If neither work (unless you have highly desirable skills) nor cost of living are a factor, hands-down the central coast of California!

Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,027,970 times
If money and jobs aren't concerns, I can't imagine why anyone would pick AZ over CA unless it was for health reasons.

For one thing, once you've been living in California for a year your kids will be eligible for in-state tuition at CA's universities, and CA has several very good UC schools. It's still expensive and you might go for a private college for them anyway, but public tuition at UC is still something to think about.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:43 AM

41 posts, read 79,014 times
As a native Californian, I can say hand on heart that Arizona is a much better place to live and raise a family. The desert ridge area or north Phoenix is just awesome and i highly recommend it! You get a lot more bang for your buck here!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 17,042 times
Hi...I think a question "back-at-ya" would be; Where do you live now, have lived and why are you wanting to relocate?
Aside from that, I'm a native of Southern California. I love the ocean and have been in Orange County since 1971 and prior to that was Los Angeles area. I returned here 2 years ago after spending 7 years in Hawaii. I've also spent time in Arizona and the CA Central Coast.
If you like "small suburbs", mountains and the coast and prefer Central Coast you might consider not only Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove areas but Aptos-Soquel area which is next door to Santa Cruz and UCSB.
Arizona and Palm Springs have some great things to offer ( not sure about Palm Springs for for a 'nice university') and of course the warm weather in these areas must be a BIG consideration for these areas.
Again to my question "back-at-ya".
For me however, and I love our Central Coast, Big Sur is fantastic but if Hwy. 1 gets a landslide, you're pretty much locked up, Southern California, especially Huntington Beach is tops. Schools, great neighborhoods maintained with pride of ownership, shopping and of course the beach and bike riding galore!!
Good luck..
Dane L.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
If money and jobs aren't concerns, I can't imagine why anyone would pick AZ over CA unless it was for health reasons.

For one thing, once you've been living in California for a year your kids will be eligible for in-state tuition at CA's universities, and CA has several very good UC schools. It's still expensive and you might go for a private college for them anyway, but public tuition at UC is still something to think about.
Interesting. I would think that if health issues were present, CA would easily be a better place than AZ.

Good point about in-state tuition.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:52 PM

6,115 posts, read 12,480,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowestCupcake! View Post
My husband and I are planning to move sometime in the next two years. We can't decide between AZ or CA.
We have family in both states. We own our own online business, so we don't need to worry about finding jobs and we are not concerned about cost of living.
We have two kids so we are looking for ideas of safe places with good schools and we'd like to be within about an hour of a nice university so we can hopefully persuade them into staying close to us when they go off to college.

In Arizona we like the small suburbs north of Phoenix and the Prescott area.
In California we like the cities & areas around Napa Valley, Big Sur, San Luiz Obispo and Palm Springs.

I'm looking for cute towns & cities that are well kept and take alot of pride in their appearance too.

Also, for those who have lived in both states, which is your preference and why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post

Uh, HELLO.

As a small business owner in CA, I highly suggest the OP discusses this move with someone who can break down the cost of running a business in both states. I have been crunching the numbers of moving my business to AZ for some time (the only thing keeping me in CA, for the time being, is my staff, which is fantastic, and i refuse to give up), and relocation isn't an option for some of them right now.

PLEASE speak to a professional who can, at the very least, analyze YOUR business, and calculate the risk of either state. Such professionals exist, and while costly, can save you a ton of money in the long run.

If your livelihood is your business, and you are not making this a consideration, there is a major problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California